Blood work? Need help

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Recently in the past year my diet has been decent, I’m in good shape. 37 male. Was a former pro athlete. Always workout. Lately I can’t lose weight and stomach is always bloated and distended. I did some blood work on thyroid and cortisol AM. Also testosterone and estrogen. Do you see any issues with the following and my symptoms?
Cortisol Am 13.7ug/dL
Tsh 1.310 uil/ml
T4 8.9
Triiodothyronine free serum 4.2
T4 free 1.57

They are all within range but some are close. Like I said I have about 10 pounds of excess gain which seems like hormones. I have been under some stress with work the past year.

Test was 660 and estrogen I believe was 30 or so 6 months ago. Any help or anymore blood work I might need? Thanks for any help

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a thyroid expert but this might help:
IMG_4343.jpg

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
If someone can chime in with any expertise I would appreciate it

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest getting an organic acid test from Great Plains labs which can be bought online as well as a Dutch hormone urine complete profile. I suggest people to do dutch starting on Monday night and doing the OAT on a Tuesday -Thursday morning. These along with detailed blood work with history and other labs will provide the answers you need

TSH OPTIMAL RANGE IS CLINICAL IN ACCURATE
.5-1.5 and thing over 1.5 is commonly found to be a red flag for thyroid imbalance.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
So should I go see an endo? I would think they would say my thyroid is perfect since in range? What would they say do you think? Does that imbalance and blood work seem like a slow thyroid? I am having issues with bloating and stomach bloated

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Pretty clean honestly. Chewing tobacco is about the only thing I do and seldom do much of that

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Really think my thyroid is perfect by blood work but know you guys know more than me

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thyroid controls gut motility as well as pancreatic secrections and hydrochloric acid from the stomach. These need to be supported till thyroid and underlying pathology is addressed

trn450

trn450

Awards
TSH OPTIMAL RANGE IS CLINICAL IN ACCURATE
.5-1.5 and thing over 1.5 is commonly found to be a red flag for thyroid imbalance.
That's interesting... I've seen a number of people advocating for TSH <= 2.5 based on some more recent literature. Where are you getting the information suggesting that the upper limit should be <= 1.5?

trn450

trn450

Awards
Recently in the past year my diet has been decent, I’m in good shape. 37 male. Was a former pro athlete. Always workout. Lately I can’t lose weight and stomach is always bloated and distended. I did some blood work on thyroid and cortisol AM. Also testosterone and estrogen. Do you see any issues with the following and my symptoms?
Cortisol Am 13.7ug/dL
Tsh 1.310 uil/ml
T4 8.9
T4 free 1.57

They are all within range but some are close. Like I said I have about 10 pounds of excess gain which seems like hormones. I have been under some stress with work the past year.

Test was 660 and estrogen I believe was 30 or so 6 months ago. Any help or anymore blood work I might need? Thanks for any help
Clinical hypothyroidism rarely causes more than a few percent of total body weight in terms of weight gain. You're nowhere close to that. thyroid "optimization" is a whole different story, and a grey area in medical and nutritional research still. (Not a criticism of the proponents of tighter TSH control, as I advocate for it myself, just a statement of fact).

"Unexpected" weight gain is an exceedingly complex discussion. If this seems to be correlated with the bloating, then that's anther layer of complexity. Of those two things have occurred temporary disjointed enough that you think they're likely separate issues, my go to with abdominal bloating is dietary. Healthy food does not mean well tolerated food. As such, strict food logging is a great first step for most people.

A great start for looking into the unexpected weight gain would be to detail the following, starting from several months prior to the beginning of the weight gain:
- dietary changes
- exercise changes
- work changes (this is a yes to at least some degree)
- other lifestyle changes
- environmental changes
- accompanying symptoms
- recent travel
- major illnesses
- antibiotic usage
- and more. Basically anything you can think of.

The top three to four on that list are the most likely to contain changes that explain the differences for most people. You say that you've had work changes, and in all likelihood you're doing something different along with it. Persistently elevated cortisol levels could potentially drive changes in body habitus, but more often than not I see people who are more stressed working out less, snacking more, eating more convenience foods, etc. And, at a minimum, that conflates the issue.

In the meantime, many people with similar symptoms benefit from probiotics and fiber.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol Am 13.7ug/dL
Tsh 1.310 uil/ml
T4 8.9
T4 free 1.57

I Suggest consulting a doctor

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Review of several thousands cases from health providers that fell through traditional cracks. I focus on cellular thyroid deficiency by looking at not just free cortisol but also the ratio of free vs metabolized. The blood levels only show 20% of the equation many heath providers are missing the other 80%. Other month, doctors patient had TSH 1.75 having all classic thyroid symptoms. Free t3 was 2.7. I tweaked thyroid and adenals a bit. The symptoms decreased by over 50%. TSH is now .5 and ft3 3.1 with optimal rt3 conversion. No thyroid was medication suggested as I can not prescribe diagnose or treat.

robshef

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I was recently given levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Have not had any cortisol test ran. I don't really feel my endocrinologist cares to view or discuss the whole picture. Now that I've began taking levo, wld a cortisol test be useless? Private MD labs has both AM and serum tests, either of those a better pick?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I use the Dutch complete hormone testing kit to look at adenals and hormone metabolism