What Do These Lab Results Mean?

onemind99

Awards
All my labs were normal except for these 2:

55 HIGH - SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN (Normal: 10-50 nmol/L)

40 HIGH - ESTRADIOL, ULTRASENSITIVE LC/MS/MS (Normal: < OR = 29 pg/mL)

Please help me understand what they mean? I have no idea...

Thanks in advance for your help!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All my labs were normal except for these 2:

55 HIGH - SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN (Normal: 10-50 nmol/L)

40 HIGH - ESTRADIOL, ULTRASENSITIVE LC/MS/MS (Normal: < OR = 29 pg/mL)

Please help me understand what they mean? I have no idea...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Without any other information they only mean you have high estrogen levels and high SHBG levels.

Why did you get the blood work, are you already on TRT, and if so what are all of your other levels whether in range or not that is important. Otherwise all this tells anyone is that your estrogen and SHBG are high and out of range.

My estroidiol stays around 43 but my doc says it is fine there, that the unhealthy estrogen metabolites were in range so she isn't worried about it. If I had to guess you either just came off of a cycle or your are already on TRT and probably on a higher dose than you actually need so the body is creating extra SHBG to bind some of the extra sexual hormones in your system.

onemind99

Awards
Thanks for the quick reply. I got the blood work done because I have chronic joint pain and my doctor wanted to look at my hormones because everything else looks normal. I'm a 28 year old male. I've never done a cycle or taken TRT (quite honestly, I don't even know what any of that stuff is). All of my other labs were in normal range (Total Estrogen, Total Testosterone, Free Testosterone, IGF 1, DHEA, etc were all in normal range.)

2 questions:

1. These 2 labs that were abnormal - what exactly do they mean?

2. How do I get these levels to normal?

Thanks again.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lots of things to lower the estrogen from eating a lot of cruciferous veggies, or taking a supplement that binds to the aromatase enzyme so that you are not producing as much estrogen.

You would want to look for an over the counter AI for the higher estroidial to correct it, and then they make SHBG binding supplements too.

However to be honest in your ranges I would look at holistic treatments and a change in diet to help with both of them. Start with google searching what foods help lower estrogen. Green cruciferous veggies help for sure. Add more of the foods you see in that list into your diet. Do the same with SHBG, there are foods out there that help bind it.

Estroidial is the female hormone but men have it too. Yours is barely elevated, and depending on you androgenic levels it may not even matter at al if you are on the higher end of normal range for test then it explains a lot.

SHBG is sexual hormone binding globumen. When you have high levels of testoserone or estrogen or other androgens SHBG binds to it to try and lower the amount of active sexual hormones in your system. So if you lower this your Free Test levels should go up some.

onemind99

Awards
Thanks again for the quick reply. Some final questions (if you don’t mind):

1. My Total Estrogen is in normal range (154 pg/mL), so why is my Estradiol high? Aren’t they basically the same thing?

2. What’s actually causing my Estradiol to be high in the first place? In other words, the labs show that its high, but WHY is it high to begin with?

3. What’s actually causing my SHBG to be high in the first place? Your saying SHBG occurs when there’s high levels of testosterone, but my TT is in normal range (644 ng/dL) and so are my other labs.

4. Does SHBG fluctuate throughout the day/night or does it stay the same for weeks/months at a time? I was fasting for my blood work, but let’s just say my sleep schedule was off and I took the test at an “odd time”.

5. Could any of these 2 abnormal labs be causing my chronic joint pain?

Thanks again for your help!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks again for the quick reply. Some final questions (if you don’t mind):

1. My Total Estrogen is in normal range (154 pg/mL), so why is my Estradiol high? Aren’t they basically the same thing?

2. What’s actually causing my Estradiol to be high in the first place? In other words, the labs show that its high, but WHY is it high to begin with?

3. What’s actually causing my SHBG to be high in the first place? Your saying SHBG occurs when there’s high levels of testosterone, but my TT is in normal range (644 ng/dL) and so are my other labs.

4. Does SHBG fluctuate throughout the day/night or does it stay the same for weeks/months at a time? I was fasting for my blood work, but let’s just say my sleep schedule was off and I took the test at an “odd time”.

5. Could any of these 2 abnormal labs be causing my chronic joint pain?

Thanks again for your help!
1> I really don't know, there is more than 1 type of estroidiol I don't know enough on that to try to get into detail.

The variances in estrogen / estroidiol and SHBG are simply your bodies efforts to keep your individual homeostasis. Numbers being in normal ranges don't mean too much considering the ranges. Basically your body wants to keep your testosterone levels in a general area and will convert some of it to estroidiol when test is higher than normal, and will also create more SHBG to bind more of the testosterone. Although 644 is not high end of the spectrum, your body it may be high for what YOUR body sees as normal.

I don't see any way those could be the cause of the joint pain. Low estrogen could cause issues but not higher.