Working on a Reverse T3 issue and could use some thoughts

Chris98vobra

Awards
I have been on a RT3 program for about 8 weeks. When I started my test results were as follows:

TSH 1.9
FT3 3.5
FT4 1.04
RT3 326

I just got lab results back from blood work taken 2 weeks ago and it now shows:

TSH .15
FT3 10
FT4 1.1
RT3 450

This shows that my T3 is pooling and not being used but my FT4 is still over half the level it was before and making even more RT3! This is frustrating and surprising. I gradually increased both cytomel and HC and am now at 125mcg of cytomel and 27.5mg of HC each day. I get that I am still somewhat early in the program when this blood work was done but why is my FT4 so high? The pituitary (TSH) clearly is telling my thyroid to stop production (T4) and it isn't listening well.

I know low adrenals or iron would affect uptake of T3 but they seem to be good and this isn't just about uptake. This is about turning off my thyroid production.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

shbg82

Awards
Have you read this article? It reflects my personal expirence with RT3 and T3 only (Wilsons protocol) theory.

http: // tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
RT3 is symptoms of the cause. Treating it directly will result in more problems then its worth. Find out why its elevated in the first place instead of treating with t3 which will drive SHBG causing a host of issues may be taking over a year to come down if it ever does..

Chris98vobra

Awards
Interesting link. Thanks for passing it along. It does make me question all of the success stories and how I am different. My FT4 has gone up a little so the program certainly hasn't "shut down" my thyroid production. My RT3 is up also so obviously my system knows I have too much T3 in my system.

My Doc wants me to give it another week and after investing 10 I guess I am willing to. Just very frustrating. I will likely get an iron panel run to see about my uptake and at that time check my general thyroid status. RT3 takes much too long so I don't know if it is worth waiting for that when I know it is high anyhow.

Chris98vobra

Awards
Matrix - my SHBG is good at 26 and I am on AI which keeps my E2 in check.

I have no idea why my RT3 started. Maybe years of stress (which is gone now). Only got morning cortisol tested before I started the program but is wasn't too bad at 15. What has never been checked is my full iron panel so in spite of good Ferritin levels, it is possible that my uptake is poor.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

I have no idea why my RT3 started. Maybe years of stress (which is gone now). Only got morning cortisol tested before I started the program but is wasn't too bad at 15. What has never been checked is my full iron panel so in spite of good Ferritin levels, it is possible that my uptake is poor.
one cortisol reading is not enough need 4 point then correspond it.to symptoms. There are.too many pieces of the puzzle missing to make any educated suggestions.
Need lot.more information..from a clinical stand point i am.looking about 10%. Of the equation here.. This is why our health system is in.turmoil. A problem which could be resolved in 2 months or less gets dragged out for months and in some cases i have seen 15 years due.to what is being taught or not taught to medical professionals. As.noted and seen in several cases with Dr i worked with t3 only.works in several< 5 % of cases.. Find another Dr, or cases like.this take me usually 6 months to even get.back to a normal.base.line. You should.have never been started in the first place !!

Chris98vobra

Awards
I have read the half life of hydrocordizone is about 12 hours. How long should I be off HC before I do a cortisol test? I have been told I need to be off iron for 5 days. I'm sick of chasing my tail on this and taking the cytomel and HC every 4 hours is a big pain. I'm ready to stop it now and get a new set of proper tests. Seems like saliva cortisol, iron panel, and thyroid panel.

Subtemp

Awards

Is this the only test you've done for adrenals? My morning cortisol was at 13.7, but didn't paint the full picture of what when on during a 24hr period. It's great that you're getting an iron panel done as there could be an underline cause. Have you tesed aldosterone and renin? Below is a great read on aldosterone.

Post count is too low to post links .......stopthethyroidmadness dot com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8562

Chris98vobra

Awards
Is this the only rest you've done for adrenals? My morning cortisol was at 13.7, but didn't paint the full picture of what when on during a 24hr period. It's great that you're getting an iron panel done as there could be an underline cause. Have you tesed aldosterone and renin? Below is a great read on aldosterone.

Post count is too low to post links .......stopthethyroidmadness dot com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8562
Yes, that was the only test through my blood work. Never tested aldosterone or renin but didn't any show symptoms.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have read the half life of hydrocordizone is about 12 hours. How long should I be off HC before I do a cortisol test? I have been told I need to be off iron for 5 days. I'm sick of chasing my tail on this and taking the cytomel and HC every 4 hours is a big pain. I'm ready to stop it now and get a new set of proper tests. Seems like saliva cortisol, iron panel, and thyroid panel.
Now you are seeing the common sense I was talking about.
STTM - Spreading the thyroid madness

you are one but many who are seeing the light ....Dr's give HC usually because they do not take time to look into things. I see it all the time when a little investigation reveals can possible hidden cause.

Chris98vobra

Awards
How long should I be off HC before I do a cortisol test? I have read the half life of hydrocordizone is about 12 hours.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
How long should I be off HC before I do a cortisol test? I have read the half life of hydrocordizone is about 12 hours.
4 hours for HC
2 weeks for cortisol saliva testing.

Chris98vobra

Awards
If half life is 4 hours then why 2 weeks before testing?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
If half life is 4 hours then why 2 weeks before testing?
To get a true response from the ACTH similar to testosterone even though its out of the system its affect on HTPA still lingers.

shbg82

Awards
Because you have shut down your own cortisol production.
I would not just stop all HC at once, you will crash.
People have a tough time weaning off HC after taking so much.

Chris98vobra

Awards
So basically I need to take 2 weeks to slowly get off and two weeks after that? bummer

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
So basically I need to take 2 weeks to slowly get off and two weeks after that? bummer
I.am helping.a Dr ramp a guy down.now. Since i.was.able.to.isolate issue which prevented.him from.coming off in the past he is now down.lowest he's been and is now past.the hump which crashed him before no.trouble. Taking about 2 months to ramp him down one wrong move he is could.have an norephinperine spike too hard and die, but he is well understood of the risks due.to.pre-existing heart condition. Should.have never been put.on hrt which i.got him.off (age 47) now camping off hc. In.the process is down 30lbs 5 weeks more energy.and.vitality then ever before. Goal is off hc and 50-60lbs drop in 3 months period getting him beta lockers in the process.