raloxifene (serm) article shows it effective for seniors & test levels

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Effects of raloxifene on gonadotrophins, sex hormo...[Eur J Endocrinol. 2004] - PubMed Result

RESULTS: Raloxifene significantly increased serum concentrations of LH and FSH (by 29% and 21%), total testosterone (20%), free testosterone (16%) and bioavailable testosterone (not bound to sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG; 20%). In parallel with testosterone, 17 beta-oestradiol also increased by 21%. SHBG increased by 7%. Total cholesterol (TChol) decreased significantly, from 5.7 to 5.5 mmol/l (P=0.03). Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-c) and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c) showed a trend to decrease.

participants reported no side effects and raloxifene was well tolerated. CONCLUSION: In healthy elderly man, raloxifene 120 mg/day for 3 months increased LH, FSH and sex steroid hormones. Potentially beneficial effects were the small but significant decrease in TChol and the trend towards a decrease in LDL-c. Negative effects were the trend towards a decrease in HDL-c and the significant increase in serum PSA. A decrease in markers of bone resorption during raloxifene treatment was found only in men with relatively high increases in serum testosterone and 17 beta-oestradiol. Overall, there were no clear beneficial effects of administration of raloxifene to ageing men in this preliminary investigation.
1. It's nice to see substantial percentages for increases in test, free test, etc, even if the test was only for sr. citizens, whom I would imagine would see greater increases of the like than a younger man would. Honestly if the study had used a larger amount of participants it would leave me very hopeful that in old age, a SERM alone would be enough to grant some serious help with strength and general well being

2. the mention of decline of total cholesterol, including HDL, makes me want to supplement with hefty dosages of fish oil, flax, etc. if I ever go on a cycle in the future. You always hear how steroids can ruin lipid profiles, but before now I hadn't heard of a SERM doing the same, and a lot of people might not think of them doing anything to hurt your recovery aside from being a possible strain on the liver.

3. what, in laymans terms is serum PSA? (or PSA in general)

4. How can the writer state there's no clear benefit seen in treatment!? The statistics show obvious benefit in regard to male endocrine activity, and the effects on pituitary-gonadal axis was one of the objectives. Another was bone turnover, in which there was potential shown in the men who had a particularly high increase in serum test as a response.

cdog

Awards
PSA, prostate-specific antigen. An increase in this is not a good thing.