Scar tissue on calves

1. Scar tissue on calves

My calves are ate up with scar tissue from not takin care of them. Iím 44 and this has been an issue for 15 years. I get deep tissue massages about every other year but the issues come back. It shows up when I run. Iíll be running along and a ďcharlie horseĒ so to say takes me to my knees. Along with PT Iíve had a doppler type MRI done and blood flow or compartment syndrome isnít a problem. This year Iím getting fitted for shoes but my main question.... is there anything supplement or non supplement I can take either orally or TD that could help with the scar tissue?

2. What calf injuries have created the scar tissue?

What diagnostic imaging has identified the scar tissue?
    •   

3. Scar tissue on calves

Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    What calf injuries have created the scar tissue?

What diagnostic imaging has identified the scar tissue?
    Running has caused micro tears, it isnít just 1 or 2 injuries that have happened at some point. Itís on both calfs. I havenít had any imaging of scar tissue on my calfs but Iíve had several sports PTís tell me itís scar tissue and they say itís some of the worst they have encountered.

4. What happens when u take prednisone or medrol dose pack? Do they help?

5. you need to get deep tissue massage and remove the scar tissue. It hurts like hell. you squeem and squarm.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    50% off the entire month of January! AMJAN50
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    What happens when u take prednisone or medrol dose pack? Do they help?
    I have not taken those

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    you need to get deep tissue massage and remove the scar tissue. It hurts like hell. you squeem and squarm.
    Iíve had it done 5 or 6 times, itís in my op.

8. I would try the corticosteroids. Either your PCP or Ortho would give it a try without any problem.

I am super skeptical of the scar tissue diagnosis. It's nothing more than a guess.

It's good that u've ruled out compartment syndrome. But I've seen many times where they only test 1 compartment and patients have to go back to have other compartments addressed. I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but I think ur next step is more diagnostics to be more specific.
  9. Scar tissue on calves

Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    I would try the corticosteroids. Either your PCP or Ortho would give it a try without any problem.

I am super skeptical of the scar tissue diagnosis. It's nothing more than a guess.

It's good that u've ruled out compartment syndrome. But I've seen many times where they only test 1 compartment and patients have to go back to have other compartments addressed. I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but I think ur next step is more diagnostics to be more specific.
    Exercise induced compartment has not been ruled out. The doppler MRI was obviously done without a pump in my calfs. More info here.... I have severely flat feet and I under pronate with a heel strike running style. This is why Iím getting fitted for shoes. My PT thinks this is my biggest issue. I have had some success with magnesium oil and DMSO. I apply twice before I run about 45 min apart and then apply after I run. I also wear compression socks. My PT says he can tell by doing myofascial release that it is scar tissue. Thanks for your help.

10. Ever try Graston?

Depending on how frequently its done and your recovery I could see it having a benefit for such a chronic issue.

If its exercise induced compartment syndrome however thats another story.
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/304802-themovement-bringing-blitz

11. Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    Ever try Graston?

Depending on how frequently its done and your recovery I could see it having a benefit for such a chronic issue.

If its exercise induced compartment syndrome however thats another story.
    Yes Iíve tried graston and the messages by hand did better for me. I donít believe itís anything compartment related though.

12. Quote Originally Posted by DWeaver View Post
    I’ve had it done 5 or 6 times, it’s in my op.
    Probably need to do it more often , if it doesn't help after ten times, then stop.

May be something you continually need to do if scar tissue keeps happening. and or finding the caue of scar tissue and eliminating that.
    www.millenniumsport.net

13. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    Probably need to do it more often , if it doesn't help after ten times, then stop.

May be something you continually need to do if scar tissue keeps happening. and or finding the caue of scar tissue and eliminating that.
    How do you eliminate it?

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post

Also Iím lucky that my wife runs a 1k BR hospital and so my insurance allows me up to 30 PT sessions a year free

15. Quote Originally Posted by DWeaver View Post
    How do you eliminate it?
    by keeping that scar tissue smoothed out. In addition Physical therapy, different movements, stretching, etc ultrasound would help if you have access to that.
    www.millenniumsport.net

16. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    by keeping that scar tissue smoothed out. In addition Physical therapy, different movements, stretching, etc ultrasound would help if you have access to that.
    I think thatís my biggest issue is when everything feels good I let PT go and it all comes back in a few weeks.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Scar tissue or hernia
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. Scar tissue??
    By tommyboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 11:28 PM
  3. Topical tamoxifen to prevent excessive scar tissue
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics