Shoulder brace to wear when bench pressing for someone with labrum and RC tears?

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tore my labrum and rotator cuff in both shoulders around 12 years ago, and even though my shoulders have improved somewhat after doing stretches and physical therapy exercises, they still hurt when working out (especially during pressing exercises). The injuries are the primary limitation holding me back from being able to make significant progress with chest presses.

I know there are practically hundreds of shoulder braces for sale out there, but does anyone know of any shoulder braces that would be a good choice for someone looking to relieve the pain of labrum and rotator cuff tears when working out? It seems like most braces are simply intended to provide general stability for people who have issues with shoulder dislocation.

Thanks

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tore my labrum and rotator cuff in both shoulders around 12 years ago, and even though my shoulders have improved somewhat after doing stretches and physical therapy exercises, they still hurt when working out (especially during pressing exercises). The injuries are the primary limitation holding me back from being able to make significant progress with chest presses.

I know there are practically hundreds of shoulder braces for sale out there, but does anyone know of any shoulder braces that would be a good choice for someone looking to relieve the pain of labrum and rotator cuff tears when working out? It seems like most braces are simply intended to provide general stability for people who have issues with shoulder dislocation.

Thanks
You would need tape to protect the labrum during pressing movements, applied in such a manner as to distend the AC to reduce compressive forces, or you can use knee wraps.

The main problem with labrum scars is inflammation caused by pressure created from excess tissue in the joint. Check out Donnie Thompson's vids on AC rehab, he basically shows you exercises to grind the labrum smooth using weights and bands, and how to apply knee wraps to the shoulder.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While you’re checking out Donnie Thompson’s videos, pick up his Bow-tie. I wear mine for benching and squatting and it has majorly improved my shoulder issues

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While you’re checking out Donnie Thompson’s videos, pick up his Bow-tie. I wear mine for benching and squatting and it has majorly improved my shoulder issues
Thanks for the info, very cool.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Donnie's videos. BennyMagoo79

So when it comes to taping the shoulder, would I want to try and tape it in such a way that it prevents the shoulder from being pushed backwards during pressing movements? In other words, would I almost tape it so that it's basically rolled forward/inward towards chest, like you might observe in someone with slouched-over posture (but in a way that still permits shoulder blades to be tucked back and down)?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Donnie's videos. BennyMagoo79

So when it comes to taping the shoulder, would I want to try and tape it in such a way that it prevents the shoulder from being pushed backwards during pressing movements? In other words, would I almost tape it so that it's basically rolled forward/inward towards chest, like you might observe in someone with slouched-over posture (but in a way that still permits shoulder blades to be tucked back and down)?
Sorry bro didnt see the question.

You would want to strap the shoulders back (tension between humerus and scap) I reckon to mitigate pressure in the AC, although you should definitely consult a physio for more informed advice.

Also, benching with arched back should alleviate some of your pain. Using the large muscles in the back to stabilise the transition (the bottom of your press where movement vector changes from down to up) will assist rotator cuff muscles and limiting the ROM should a look so take a lot of pressure off the joint.