Post abdominal surgery rehabilitation

01tj

Awards
I’m 40 and recently had abdominal surgery due to a condition called intussusception. This is pretty rare in adults but I guess I am a rare adult. I’ve been given a 10lb restriction for 6 weeks from the surgery but the doctor said cardio is fine. He okayed me to jog and even do hill sprints but no lifting what so ever. I was using my suspension trainers but last visit the doctor said he didn’t even recommend body weight training. It seems like my core is going to be fairly week when I am able to return making it hard to do any type of lifting.

Have any of you had a similar surgery? Were you able to jump back into lifting after 6 weeks? How long did it take for you to gain confidence back in exercises such as squats and deadlifts?

Laxarcher13

Laxarcher13

Awards
I’m 40 and recently had abdominal surgery due to a condition called intussusception. This is pretty rare in adults but I guess I am a rare adult. I’ve been given a 10lb restriction for 6 weeks from the surgery but the doctor said cardio is fine. He okayed me to jog and even do hill sprints but no lifting what so ever. I was using my suspension trainers but last visit the doctor said he didn’t even recommend body weight training. It seems like my core is going to be fairly week when I am able to return making it hard to do any type of lifting.

Have any of you had a similar surgery? Were you able to jump back into lifting after 6 weeks? How long did it take for you to gain confidence back in exercises such as squats and deadlifts?
Yeah. I have a ten inch scar starting from my sternum ending around my belly button. they repaired a torn intentestine with a mesh material. So the incision was also closed with mesh. So yea I’ve had something similar. I didn’t excersize for over a year.

01tj

Awards
Yeah. I have a ten inch scar starting from my sternum ending around my belly button. they repaired a torn intentestine with a mesh material. So the incision was also closed with mesh. So yea I’ve had something similar. I didn’t excersize for over a year.
A year, that would suck, my surgeon said I can start lifting after 6 weeks which is going to be hard. I plan on starting with body weight to gain confidence but it may be quite a while before I can do any of the heavy strenuous exercises.

Was it a year before you were cleared or a year before you were comfortable exercising?

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I had a small bowel resection and have a 8 inch scar from top of belly button down. Had the surgery is March. I had 2 months completely off and started with literally just going through the motions and very slowly increased weight. I have about 1 and 1/2 finger gap between my right and left ab muscles. So i could get hernias easily. I can't do no direct ab work for a year. And as of now I can go as heavy as I can with everything else except when I get too heavy I get scar tissue pain and it could get uncomfortable

franks009

Awards
  • Established
The scar tissue pain coming from my intestine from resection and appendix area since that's where my problems all started

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Scar tissue can be removed. Women with multiple C-sections can have this problem. To reduce scarring, insist on sutures. Lazy greedy doctors will staple you. Leaving you with a scar that is usually much worse than what is left from stitches.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bigman1292 Natural Bodybuilding 0
PhantomReaper General Chat 36
Supplements 0
Post Cycle Therapy 14
Dominus Anabolics 48