adjustments & chiropractor visits?

IronTitan41

IronTitan41

Awards
hey guys

As I'm getting older, I'm starting to notice more aches, pains, and other issues begin to arise

I'm curious... what do you guys do to keep your body at optimum health and performance?

Do you guys visit sports doctors or chiropractors? if so, how often do you go and what do you guys get done?

I usually go in for a back adjustment once every few weeks or months and occasionally do myofasial release in certain areas but I want to incorporate some other exercises or services that could perhaps help keep my body in better alignment (spine, hips, etc) as I am noticing my posture is beginning to get worse and worse the older I get

your thoughts, input, criticism, and/or comments are always welcome

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I have a chiro who has a real gym at their office. He kicks my ass and then adjusts - I go once a week. Since I started seeing him, I feel younger, stronger and faster. Setting PR's and back squatting, dead lifting and benching much bigger weights than I was. Watch for chiro's that just adjust - your body will slip out of adjustment if the correct movements are not made to keep it in adjustment and getting stronger.

IronTitan41

IronTitan41

Awards
I have a chiro who has a real gym at their office. He kicks my ass and then adjusts - I go once a week. Since I started seeing him, I feel younger, stronger and faster. Setting PR's and back squatting, dead lifting and benching much bigger weights than I was. Watch for chiro's that just adjust - your body will slip out of adjustment if the correct movements are not made to keep it in adjustment and getting stronger.
Would love to have someone that does similar work like that here in my area but there dont seem to be many sports doctors out this way.

But its pretty crazy how big of a difference a good deep tissue massage and adjustment make.

Ase_james

Awards
I get a massage a couple times a month. Chiropractor when needed. The massage helps more, most of my pain is from being too tight from lifting and working in construction. I see the chiropractor for serious back problems but dont go often.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am a chiropractor (who also has an office at the gym). I would talk to the chiro about your concerns, particularly about prehab exercises and mobility work that can help with the issues you have. If they're a good sports chiro, they'll be able to help with that.

Also, if I could get the majority of my patients who work in an office, have postural issues, or who do a lot of benching to buy a Thompson Bowtie, they'd likely be much happier. (Obviously not all, as it isn't appropriate in all cases, but it can be a valuable tool that, along with other appropriate interventions, can help with a lot of different issues...thoracic hyperkyposis due to pec or upper trap tightness, bicipital tendinitis, certain rotator cuff issues, mostly the weak external rotator ones, when used in conjunction with strengthening exercises, TOS from tight pec minor and sometimes even when from tight scalenes, etc). That will help (along with other interventions, whether it be deep tissue work, adjustments, exercise, or ideally some combination) upper body postural stuff. For many of those cases, when they do buy it, it speeds along their recovery. Lower body is usually going to be exercises...lots of them out there but it'll be very dependent upon the issue.

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Chiro is good for relief, but for long term health. Start stretching, buy a lacrosse ball n you tube smashwerks. 2 minutes lol, you'll know when you watch. Good luck. ��

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to go to the chiro often but now I own most of their tools and work on myself.

Things like:

a powerful TENS unit
stainless steel graston tools (or similar) - check out Mobility star at Rogue Fitness
various rollers (firm rumble roller is the best)
various massage balls (lacross ball, supernova and gemini are my favs and imo essential)
mini bands
voodoo floss bands

I don't do 'adjustments'. I think that's old school thought. Popping air through your joints won't heal them or 'fix alignment'. Proper motor patterns and soft tissue work will.