Weight Training with bulging disc

MorningMetal

Awards
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I visited the forum, but I'm recently getting back into weight training after taking a long break. Over the past couple years I've just been really busy work, I have children now, so I haven't had a whole lot of time for working out like I did, but I really want to now get back into it.

The problem is that I now have a bulging disc in my L4-L5, and I'm curious as to whether or not I would be doing more harm than good by doing weight training. I know how to execute proper form and I know how to begin a regimen after taking a break, but I've never dealt with an injury like this. I'm on an inversion table twice a day and I'm in pain meds. The doc says there's about an 80-85% chance I can reverse the injury.

I used to love training back and I'm really wondering if by doing so I'd just aggrevate and inflame the injury or if I can accelerate the recovery by strengthening the muscles. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you very much!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are several guys in here that have bulging discs. They avoid things that aggregate their backs. Some avoid squats, some avoid certain rows, etc.

This must be pretty new that you're on a table twice a day?

cc wasme

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I herniated mine and was competing in a powerlifting meet 6 months afterwards with no pain.

It can get better, with focused rehab work. Most days I don't even feel like it ever happened at all.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get a proper rehab program focused in training core, do not do anything that's going to aggravate it, I.e most weight lifting. I have just had double microdiscectomy on l5-s1... I ignored the fact it was bulging and then eventually it popped.

Be smart!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts and bent rows are the main things that aggravate mine. Squat cleans can as well, if my form breaks.

I absolutely stick to squatting though, it's good for your back. Higher rep work might aggravate it though.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I disagree, squating is going to add shed loads of pressure to your already bulging disc

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I disagree, squating is going to add shed loads of pressure to your already bulging disc
I have 2 herniated disks, which is even worse. I had to take a break from squatting for almost a year, to rehab, but once I started squatting heavy again, the strength and stability it added to my back took away almost all back pain experienced from the herniations. I will never stop squatting now unless I want the pain to return.

I am speaking through experience, and from the point of view of someone who's been through it all (including re-injuries and chronic pain). I never thought I'd be squatting again to be honest, but after rehab, it's the best thing I've done for my back.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have 2 herniated disks, which is even worse. I had to take a break from squatting for almost a year, to rehab, but once I started squatting heavy again, the strength and stability it added to my back took away almost all back pain experienced from the herniations. I will never stop squatting now unless I want the pain to return.

I am speaking through experience, and from the point of view of someone who's been through it all (including re-injuries and chronic pain). I never thought I'd be squatting again to be honest, but after rehab, it's the best thing I've done for my back.
I too have experience, I have had two microdiscectomy. I don't disagree that you cannot get back to squatting, I just disagree that you should stay away until your back is in a position to become stronger from the exercise, not weaker and in more danger of injury

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I too have experience, I have had two microdiscectomy. I don't disagree that you cannot get back to squatting, I just disagree that you should stay away until your back is in a position to become stronger from the exercise, not weaker and in more danger of injury
This is correct, which is why I've stated I did not squat again until I was finished with rehab. But now, if I stop squatting, I can feel pain in my back and need rehab again. Squatting (after rehab) keeps my back in line, which was all I was saying. ;) No more rehab necessary, and truthfully, I'd rather be squatting then doing constant rehab for pain.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is correct, which is why I've stated I did not squat again until I was finished with rehab. But now, if I stop squatting, I can feel pain in my back and need rehab again. Squatting (after rehab) keeps my back in line, which was all I was saying. ;) No more rehab necessary, and truthfully, I'd rather be squatting then doing constant rehab for pain.
I'm only at the early stages of recovery 4 months on. I hope to get back to squatting, but as we agree. I'll stay away for another 6 months or so. I feel a lot better for doing exercises for core and light glutes.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm only at the early stages of recovery 4 months on. I hope to get back to squatting, but as we agree. I'll stay away for another 6 months or so. I feel a lot better for doing exercises for core and light glutes.
Yoga (hot yoga) and core work was the best for me. Not sure if you're open to it, but it will help greatly with core strength/stability and mobility.

I rehabbed for 12 months doing strictly hot yoga, band work, core work. I was able to hit my upper back and do things like pull downs, but it took me a year to get confident enough again to squat. I started by working up to sets of 3, 3x per week and quickly rebuilt strength this way. Volume squats took me a while to get back though.

I've thankfully avoided surgery, but I'm sure one day it will become a necessity.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yoga (hot yoga) and core work was the best for me. Not sure if you're open to it, but it will help greatly with core strength/stability and mobility.

I rehabbed for 12 months doing strictly hot yoga, band work, core work. I was able to hit my upper back and do things like pull downs, but it took me a year to get confident enough again to squat. I started by working up to sets of 3, 3x per week and quickly rebuilt strength this way. Volume squats took me a while to get back though.

I've thankfully avoided surgery, but I'm sure one day it will become a necessity.
Ye I am on band work ATM and some core work. Haven't been back in the gym yet tho. I will get to yoga shortly aswell as Pilates.

I'm sure it's going to be very edgey going back to the gym and lifting weights for the first time.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ye I am on band work ATM and some core work. Haven't been back in the gym yet tho. I will get to yoga shortly aswell as Pilates.

I'm sure it's going to be very edgey going back to the gym and lifting weights for the first time.
Pilates will be great for you. Something I've also wanted to incorporate. I was doing 2 types of yoga. Hot flow (mostly vinyassa based, was more for stability and strength) as well as hot Yin yoga, which is mostly restorative (long challenging floor poses for mobility).

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did a lot of upper body work while I was rehabbing.

Mine was a herniation at L5-S1, but I had been dealing with it for quite some time (without having it diagnosed) before it herniated.

What helped me was core work, and a lot of hyperextension work. I also did as much traction work as I could stand (mostly hanging leg raises) and lunges to try and loosen up the hip flexors.

I rehabbed mine back by myself and competed later the same year. (Injured in April, competed in December) I actually had a very good meet as well, and was only 25# or so off of my best squat/DL.

I also walked a lot during that time. Not planned, but I was working security at the time and walking was part of my job. I feel it helped just staying active in general during that time.

When I did get back to training, I did mostly submaximal work beltless to learn to brace properly under load and not get lazy with a belt on.