Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in exp

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in experienced weight lifters.

Yarasheski KE, Zachweija JJ, Angelopoulos TJ, Bier DM.

Metabolism Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether recombinant human growth hormone (GH) administration enhances muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters. The fractional rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and the whole body rate of protein breakdown were determined during a constant intravenous infusion of [13C]leucine in 7 young (23 +/- 2 yr; 86.2 +/- 4.6 kg) healthy experienced male weight lifters before and at the end of 14 days of subcutaneous GH administration (40 microgram.kg-1 x day-1). GH administration increased fasting serum insulin-like growth factor-I (from 224 +/- 20 to 589 +/- 80 ng/ml, P = 0.002) but did not increase the fractional rate of muscle protein synthesis (from 0.034 +/- 0.004 to 0.034 +/- 0.002%/h) or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown (from 103 +/- 4 to 108 +/- 5 mumol.kg-1 x h-1). These findings suggest that short-term GH treatment does not increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown, metabolic alterations that would promote muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters attempting to further increase muscle mass.

Found this intersting :D

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I think we've all heard that 6 months in the minimum for GH use but how much weight does that really hold? Obviously, 14 days is too short of a time, but what about, let's say, 3 months? The only thing that keeps me from investing in GH is the price. But, if 3-4 months were an option, it'd be a more likely scenario. Just curious on what ya'll think if you've seen any studies that hint at this idea.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most of the studies show GH doens't help muscle growth in any time peroid. Its more of a lipolytic agent than anything.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
what about lr3-ifg? does it have dncumented protein synthesis improvements? i'm thinking about using it on my next PCT.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup.

BrickedUP

Awards
Most of the studies show GH doens't help muscle growth in any time peroid. Its more of a lipolytic agent than anything.
Really? I always heard AAS mixed with GH is the key to muscle growth??

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
AAS mixed with GH provides gains while making it possible to lose fat or keep fat gain to an absolute mininum.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Damn... i always thought that GH was good for muscle growth and was planning on running it beginning of the year. If in fact, it doesn't have much anabolic properties i guess i'll just stick with IGF and save a bunch of $$$ and pokes.

Bobo, glad you posted this thread before i actually spent the money on GH.

BrickedUP

Awards
I've seen several of my friends get almost 2x muscle gains they got off aas when the mixed GH with aas. Maybe since GH will keep you leaner, it will allow you to eat more on your aas cycle, and be able to absorb more protien, which in turn will build more muscle. Maybe im wrong?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It will definetly keep you leaner but in no way would it double any gains at all. I know so many people that have used it inconjuction with AAS, slin, IGF, etc... and the only thing it does is keep you much leaner.

Effect of growth hormone treatment on hormonal parameters, body composition and strength in athletes.

Deyssig R, Frisch H, Blum WF, Waldhor T.

Department of Paediatrics, University of Vienna, Austria.

The effect of recombinant GH on strength, body composition and endocrine parameters in power athletes was investigated in a controlled study. Twenty-two healthy, non-obese males (age 23.4 +/- 0.5 years; ideal body weight 122 +/- 3.1%, body fat 10.1 +/- 1.0%; mean +/- SEM) were included. Probands were assigned in a double-blind manner to either GH treatment (0.09U (kg BW)-1 day-1 sc) or placebo for a period of six weeks. To exclude concurrent treatment with androgenic-anabolic steroids urine specimens were tested at regular intervals for these substances. Serum was assayed for GH, IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins, insulin and thyroxine before the onset of the study and at two-weekly intervals thereafter. Maximal voluntary strength of the biceps and quadriceps muscles was measured on a strength training apparatus. Fat mass and lean body mass were derived from measurements of skinfolds at ten sites with a caliper. For final evaluation only data of those 8 and 10 subjects in the two groups who completed the study were analyzed. GH, IGF-I and IGF-binding protein were in the normal range before therapy and increased significantly in the GH-treated group. Fasting insulin concentrations increased insignificantly and thyroxine levels decreased significantly in the GH-treated probands. There was no effect of GH treatment on maximal strength during concentric contraction of the biceps and quadriceps muscles. Body weight and body fat were not changed significantly during treatment. We conclude that the anabolic, lipolytic effect of GH therapy in adults depends on the degree of fat mass and GH deficiency.

BrickedUP

Awards
Bobo, wouldnt you gain more muscle since you can absorb more protien on GH and eat more.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't absorb more protein. Protein synthesis rates are determined by other factors than GH. GH's properties are more anti-catabolic and inhibit net protein breakdown rather than increase rates of protein synthesis. AAS increase rates of protein synthesis and gene transcription.

You can eat more simply because it increase lipolysis, not because it increase protein synthesis.