What Keeps You Motivated

adonnas

Awards
Just thought i would try to find out what makes people keep going back to the gym.
Is it the quest to become a giant, or are you unhappy with your body/fitness, health reasons, routine...
What is your motivation?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Bullsh!tt!ng with the chuckleheads on AM :)
Compliments when someone knows how hard you're working.
Working with people who are also in the gym every day.
The release from the daily grind.
Looking at where I am compared to where I was.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
What is your motivation?
Fear, anger & hatred released over an intense training session drives me...the following video explains it.

Bodybuilding: The Lifestyle

tattoopierced1

I'm motivated by myself. I'm motivated for my son. I'm motivated because of the people that told me "you cant" or "you will never". I'm motivated for the kid who gets picked on in school, in hopes he/she can relate to me and have hope.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Bullsh!tt!ng with the chuckleheads on AM :)
Compliments when someone knows how hard you're working.
Working with people who are also in the gym every day.
The release from the daily grind.
Looking at where I am compared to where I was.
To the above I'll add:
1) The pump, endorphines, etc.
2) Moving huge amounts of weight.
3) Quest to be huge.
4) Health.

It's actually hard not to be motivated, there's just so many reasons

DB

brugalou

brugalou

Awards
  • Established
Stress, health, girlfriend, Dexter Jackson, Phil Heath etc.

Ronnie

Ronnie

Awards
  • Established
To stay single and be able to get hot chicks with ease.

adonnas

Awards
ha thats a good one, probably why half the people you see at the gym are there

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started bodybuilding my senior year when as a junior, my friend who was lifting looked like a "Man" while I still had the body of a boy. Now I just love it. I think it's just natural to enjoy something you're naturally successful at.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
fear of fat!!!
Increase of female interaction
Overall heath benefits

KelJu

KelJu

Awards
Lifting everyday keeps me motivated. Lifting makes me feel good, which helps me make better decisions, which brings me right back to the gym the next day. Its a perfect circle.

I guess my desire to be and stay happy keeps me motivated.

Unfortunately, I'm on the injured list for a few days, so I'm a little edgy right now. If I don't heal within a weak I will get really irritable.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
A burning desire to be physically flawless

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Fear of the fat (I have an obese father)
The Pump
Keeps me motivated to eat better
Fear of not having the strength to get myself or someone else out of a fire
Seeing someone I haven't seen in awhile and getting the verbal response of "wow, you've been really working out"

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I forgot one:

LEG DAY!!

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Music and aggression. I take my anger out in the gym. Always. It's much better, safer, less expensive, and beneficial than punching the wall, or worse, someone. My gym is open 24 hours a day, which is a godsend. I've been known to have a very unpleasant night, so I'll go to the gym and lift heavy for a little bit. I'll come home, get a bite to eat, watch some tv, shower, then go to bed. I love the feeling of being in the gym. I always look forward to going.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I'm closing in on 40 and I am dating a 22year old :D

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Fear, anger & hatred released over an intense training session drives me...the following video explains it.

Bodybuilding: The Lifestyle

That is an awesome quote by Henry Rollins in that video.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm motivated first and foremost by a desire to look good for me. I also have a company to represent so I have to be in top shape for shows. Its a good role model for my kids.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was in a serious accident in the summer which could have easily taken my life (T-Boned by a semi). Previously I think it was just an honest love for lifting that kept me motivated, now it's more the thought that I need to appreciate my opportunity.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was in a serious accident in the summer which could have easily taken my life (T-Boned by a semi). Previously I think it was just an honest love for lifting that kept me motivated, now it's more the thought that I need to appreciate my opportunity.
Good answer. I have a slip disc in my L3, with sciatica, meaning my sciatic nerve was being pinched and everytime it did, it didn't make me cry, but the pain made the eyes water, EVERYTIME!! I had to literally crawl out of bed like an old, old man and I couldn't walk or sit for a long duration. The only comfortable position was laying down so my L3 didn't pinch my sciatic nerve. Obviously I couldn't lift very effectively (even though I still did hit the gym, all machines and light, light lifts). Furthermore, I was banned from heavy shrugs, heavy squats or any form of deads forever by my doctor, but through slow, painful persistence I'm all better. I made a point that I could do what I was told I couldn't and I can dead over 500lbs these days and regularly shrug 405lbs+

Being "SERIOUSLY" injured REEAAALLY makes you appreciate having a functional, healthy body.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
To stay single and be able to get hot chicks with ease.
Its called game my friend...I've seen plenty of small, skinny(or fat), un-athletic dudes outgame plenty of built guys. Sometimes its funny to watch.

I'm motivated by the desire to do what everyone told me I was too skinny to do, and thats get big. Everytime someone told me I was skinny, slim (nice way of saying skinny if you ask me), or just small I tucked it away. Now I have a large library of reasons. :afro:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its called game my friend...I've seen plenty of small, skinny(or fat), un-athletic dudes outgame plenty of built guys. Sometimes its funny to watch.

I'm motivated by the desire to do what everyone told me I was too skinny to do, and thats get big. Everytime someone told me I was skinny, slim (nice way of saying skinny if you ask me), or just small I tucked it away. Now I have a large library of reasons. :afro:
It shows in your Avi, j/k.

and I agree, fat dude with game will pull a chick quicker then someone with body but clueless

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
It shows in your Avi, j/k.

and I agree, fat dude with game will pull a chick quicker then someone with body but clueless
Now don't get me wrong. Being good looking and/or having an impressive physique makes it easier, especially in college. And I in no way meant that previous post as an insult, just to cover my bases.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now don't get me wrong. Being good looking and/or having an impressive physique makes it easier, especially in college. And I in no way meant that previous post as an insult, just to cover my bases.
Working the whole room, a few negs + overall game > nice body.

I think a lot of cats who assume a nice body will get you quality women are pretty disappointed when they realize Squats, Deads and Bicep curls don't work your social skills.

FOODzilla

FOODzilla

Awards
1) Feeling good (mentally and physically)
2) Looking good
3) Lifestyle is awesome
4) Habit (I'm so used to doing it everyday)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no dude, I wasn't being sarcastic, I honestly agreed with your point. I hope I didn't come off sarcastic, I didn't mean to, sorry about that.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Working the whole room, a few negs + overall game > nice body.

I think a lot of cats who assume a nice body will get you quality women are pretty disappointed when they realize Squats, Deads and Bicep curls don't work your social skills.
Totally agree. My roommate is ripped, athletic, a nice guy, but he's quiet, shy, a bit of an introvert, and just not very social overall. His athleticism isn't doing much for his social life.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you don't exude confidence then you appear to have extreme low social value; the dude who walks into the room and is honestly friends with anybody appears pretty appealing. Then instead of thinking "why are you talking to me?" the girl is thinking "why aren't 'I' talking to 'him'". One common stereotype about women I think is true is they are more intuitive than males. If you lack confidence, you give off subconscious cues in your body language and they will shut you down in their mind before you ever approach them.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
It used to be a quest for perfection, but after I fixed what was wrong on the inside, I continued on a journey to build the best temple I know how. Its me against me in the gym.