Why is my serial killer cat leaving dead animals at my doorstep?

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Last year my inside cat became an outside cat. The last few months, she has gone on a killing spree. 4 different kinds of animals so far (mice, birds, a frog, and today a rat).

She always leaves them at either the front or back door. And she never eats them. In fact sometimes it's hard to believe they are dead at all. They look like taxidermy animals. I can't tell how she killed them.

And they are getting BIG. Some of the birds are half her size, and that was almost a full size rat out their tonite. If she gets much better I am going to have to give her a list of people I don't like.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Either a present or a hint to let her back inside,' if you know what's good for ya'.

I

Irish480

Awards
What kind of supplements or AAS are you putting in the kitty food? Let me guess... XYIENCE!!!

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
They are presents for you. That is how a cat thinks. That is why they are placed at the door. Have you been losing weight lately?

I had a cat that did the same thing. They hunt and bring their catch home. It is a natural instinct. They kill their pray by slapping it silly.

F

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Actually what that means is she is doing her job of protecting you, and wants you to see she did her job, its very normal, she shall be rewarded!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
It is just being a pussy.

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm in agreeance with everyone here. One of my cats used to do that, one time she left an almost dead bum on our porch.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
I'm in agreeance with everyone here. One of my cats used to do that, one time she left an almost dead bum on our porch.
hahah damn that sounds like one fierce cat.

no but seriously. everyone is right here. they look at it as a present a kinda "look what i can do and i did it for you" type of deal. my dog does it all the time. worst was when he got a possum and brought it in our living room. Turns out it was playing dead and started running around my house.... was not happy.... either was the dog.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Your cat is giving you presents. An old cat of mine used to leave birds, mice, rats, snakes, frogs, etc right at the back door for us. I would grab a shovel and fling the corpes into the pond behind the house.

Gumbo

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
My cat used to do the same thing. But ours would meow and meow at the door until you came. She would lay if down for you to see and once your gave her praise she would eat it in front of you. It was usually mice and various birds. I once felt bad for her prey because it was a mouse that wasnt quite dead yet and she ate it backwards so you could hear it screaming (I bet the cat was laughing inside).

D

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
reward it...it is trying to please you.....my cat use to bring me snakes all the time, it made me all tingly inside.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
For the corpses, although this sounds too quick in this case, it could be infection. Cats are one of the most diseased creatures on the planet, and while they don't have venom, even a cat scratch can kill a small animal in 1-3 if left untreated. There's a special anti-biotic the vets need to give any animal that has been attacked by a cat. It's also the reason why a cat scratch on a human usually pusses up and takes longer to heal than normal wounds.

Just be careful of where your cat goes outside, depending on your bylaws. In my city, it's illegal for cats to go in other people's property, and you're fully within your rights to trap them. :) While you're not legally allowed to kill them, as you must send them to the pound, not everybody is a law abiding citizen, and considers cats pests.:twisted:

T

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
wow, all you guys have generous cats. My outside cats just leave trails of feathers in the yard, they are too greedy and evil to share. The only thing they usually don't eat are the lizards, they just like to bat them around til they die.. and then just walk away. Cats often go after sick or injured creatures too, but I watched one of ours catch a flying humming bird once...impressive...cruel, but impressive.

TSC