any personal trainers here

destro19

destro19

Awards
im thinking of becoming a personal trainer to earn some extra cash for wrestling school.  any personal trainers here.  how long did it take?  how much you make? the trainers at my gym look like clowns.  Im sure I could build up some clients and take some of theirs.

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
All depends on your certification. Took me about 4 hours to get mine, if you do ISSA, its an online, weekly or monthly deal. As for money, that depends on your location, what you offer and how many clients you have and of course, how good you are.

D

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've been looking in to getting the ISSA one as well. Seems to be fairly well recognized and the online study is a bonus.

The only thing that sucks is gyms here in toronto won't let outside trainers in. So you can have clients but unless they workout at the Y you can't train them at their gym. :rolleyes: Unless the gym hires you and you might as well work at McD's for the pay they make.

destro19

destro19

Awards
online how did you do that. fill me in chief.

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
ISSA is like a ghetto certification. You dont have to have any background to get it and to train people with that certification is comical.

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
now now YJ, lets not be a Personal Trainer snob....

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i got an internet certification and that dont mean shid. (although, im able to train through my school gym and get paid cuz they dont know anything except that i know my stuff....ha) Im working on ACE certification. Sage

I

institutional

Awards
any mom and pop certification will work. but within the industry the most respected is NSCA along with degrees in exercise physiology or kinesiology or related fields. i have a degree in exercise science and i trained for many years at my gym with my degree being my certification, but then the fucking gym owners changed the policy and i needed a certication, so i went out and got a cheap ol ACE certication a few years ago for a couple hundred dollars, and im good. its a damn shame that even someone with a college degree needs to get a elementary level certification just to work there. but go figure.

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
any mom and pop certification will work. but within the industry the most respected is NSCA along with degrees in exercise physiology or kinesiology or related fields. i have a degree in exercise science and i trained for many years at my gym with my degree being my certification, but then the fucking gym owners changed the policy and i needed a certication, so i went out and got a cheap ol ACE certication a few years ago for a couple hundred dollars, and im good. its a damn shame that even someone with a college degree needs to get a elementary level certification just to work there. but go figure.
I agree, CSCS or NSCA are the hardcore 'I really know my **** and I have proof' ones. But if you know your **** and just need a document to get hired, then ACE or ISSA will do.

I

institutional

Awards

I agree, CSCS or NSCA are the hardcore 'I really know my **** and I have proof' ones. But if you know your **** and just need a document to get hired, then ACE or ISSA will do.
exactly, thats sums it up good.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
The World Gym where I train is the same way. You can only use the personal trainers who work there. The funny **** is that they don't know what a damn hack squat machine is.....LOL

Bro, try www.betterbodies.com . They advertise on the radio and maybe they can use an extra trainer.

C

chvl67

Awards
Anyone know some basic salary ranges?
I've been interested in this, and possibly making a career change, but I want to know what I'd be getting into money-wise before actually taking any classes, or getting any certifications.
Could prove to be just one of those "Nice to know" credentials.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Anyone know some basic salary ranges?
I've been interested in this, and possibly making a career change, but I want to know what I'd be getting into money-wise before actually taking any classes, or getting any certifications.
Could prove to be just one of those "Nice to know" credentials.
From what I've seen, the average salaries of personal trainers are $25-$40 per hourly session. If you have 4 clients a day at least 3 or 4 days a week, you can raking in some good bank. But unfortunately, it's not a secured job. Clients can cancel or not show up, you can be sick and unable to train, or gym can close down (if you train at the gym) and you will lose pay.