BF% Measurements

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
I asked my gym manager if there was some way he could measure my bf. He pulled out this handheld machine, entered my height, weight, and age. It had what looked like to be pulse sensors on a cardio machine. He pushed start and it went through it's deal and popped a number on the screen. Now it gave me 11.6% as the readout. I don't remember who made the machine, but if anyone's used one like this before, how accurate is this measurement? I usually get it done when I visit my mom's office (she's a pediatrician) and she's got the calipers and stuff that she borrows from the physical trainer who works next door. I don't think I'm 11%, but if I am :woohoo:

mab904

mab904

Awards
Sounds like a bioimpedance meter. I had my bodyfat tested with one of these before and the result was very close to what I got from a skinfold caliper testing.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
That's exactly it. He said it was pretty close- just didn't know for sure. Thanks Mab!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of those, but not seen one - gives less of a pinch than the calipers, I imagine....

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
very dependant on current hydration status

deebs

Awards
very dependant on current hydration status
yep... you can get a measurement done, go take a piss, get measured again and get a completely different number. it tends to underestimate fat in men and overestimate in women. on average, the margin of error is ~4-5%.

there is error with skinfold calipers too; but, if done by a skilled technician, it would likely have half the error of bioelectrical impedance.

Brennon

Awards
The handheld ones give me 11%, my scale gives me 16.5%. Does that mean I have a fat ass?

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I got measured with one of those a week before a competition.....it said that I was 21%.....I don't trust those POS's at all. Then, I did it again and changed the age to 20....it said that I was 8%.....if you really want to know....get dunked.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I got measured with one of those a week before a competition.....it said that I was 21%.....I don't trust those POS's at all. Then, I did it again and changed the age to 20....it said that I was 8%.....if you really want to know....get dunked.
You probably would do better next comp if you could come in a little tighter like maybe 16% :icon_lol:

I was tested on a Tanita and I was 32%. And to answer the question I was NOT 32%BF :twisted:

CROWLER

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What methods of home use body fat measuring works best? Does anyone use the Accue-Measure?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DK0313 Natural Bodybuilding 0
DK0313 Nutrition / Health 0
DK0313 Nutrition / Health 19
DK0313 Weight Loss 4
yachtson Bulking 6