Cell Phones at the gym

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Ok who here thinks that people should leave the damn phones in the gym bag. We have this guy who wears a damn head set while training on his phone, a woman who does the ab machines with her phone glued to her ear. ban cell phone use in the gym.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. There's this woman at my gym who has hers all the time and it rings constantly! It's so annoying.

Mr Massacre

Awards
i leave my phone in the car. i don't want or need to be bothered by the phone during my intense training.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That is probably #1 on my list of gym pet peeves! Glad you mentioned it! Mine stays in my locker, turned OFF.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Leave it in the car for the love of God.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Can't stand em. Especially the two ways where not only do you have to hear the idiot in the gym, but the other idiot that they are talking to also.

BigMatty

Awards
yeah i leave mine in the car too unless im waiting for an important call which is rare i think ive brought it in with me like twice but thats it. i dont like being bothered during training either.

bicepPump

Awards
I dont really have these kind of people in my gym. Ocassionally someone will pick up there phone but i dont mind it too much.
Im a lucky man :woohoo:

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
man there are more clowns that could tell you about in my gym..The best are the out of shape bastards on the treadmills talking, not walking fast. I just want to walk up and say something. I swear im gonna break the jerk off who has his hedseat on. That is gonna break the headset

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats the problem with working out around people who don't care about working out or are just plain idiots. My buddy will be talking on the phone will he is doing a set even, pisses me off and I have to walk away. Needless to say I don't work out with him often and if he pulls that **** now I'll snap on him.

An easy solution is going at a time where there isn't people like this and it seems they all work out at popular times. They really shouldn't allow that ****, it is annoying.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Im buds with the gym owner, he has banned them or they have to be on vibrate. No talking inside either.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I hate cell phones in the gym. Nobody is that important that they need have it with them at all times. It just looks stupid.

Although, I understand there can be exceptions. If your wife is pregnant and expecting soon, LoL, etc. There can be other times in which you "need" to be able to take a potential call. But this all-the-time chatty crap has got to go.

It makes me think of these 2 guy in my gym who always wear sunglasses when they work out. Everyone has a right to wear whatever they want to wear, but since it's really not that bright inside, they look like they're trying too hard to be noticed. At least these guys don't bring in cell phones.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Most of the guys who talk on their cells at the gym are awesome at squat rack wrist curls.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
They should ake a rule where you should leave your phone in your car or gym bag. Just annoys the hell out of most peeps in ths gym.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i dont mind too much. im lost in my music while at the gym anyways, i wouldnt notice. i have bigger peeves than cell phone use at the gym.
-leaving sweat on machine/benches
-smelly dudes and in one case, smelly girl i know. THAT IS JUST NASTY.
-screamers. ok, if you're maxing out or truly struggling to get that final few reps, go ahead and let out a scream. but those cats that push through an entire set with 'excessive' noise.
-perves. there are so many dudes who look like they're just there at the gym to stare at girls and make comments to their horny friends. I say, go spill game to her or stop staring. Just b/c you have no 'game', doesnt mean you should just stare and look like an ass

Sage

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
I agree with the phone issue and I'm going to have to bring it up where I train. I'm sure it won't go over well 'cause it's at a university but I have to ask.

I've been working out at various university gyms over the years and I think one of my biggest pet peeves are the dudes who take 45 minutes on the squat rack/bench/anything really and only does 3-4 sets before heading over to the preacher curls. They are too busy talking to their buds or chicks about how they are going to get wasted or were just wasted the night before. Then that same @sshole calls his friends and does the same thing! It's a gym, not a singles bar! Sorry I had to vent and now it's time to invest in an MP3 player and tune them out.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the phone issue and I'm going to have to bring it up where I train. I'm sure it won't go over well 'cause it's at a university but I have to ask.

I've been working out at various university gyms over the years and I think one of my biggest pet peeves are the dudes who take 45 minutes on the squat rack/bench/anything really and only does 3-4 sets before heading over to the preacher curls. They are too busy talking to their buds or chicks about how they are going to get wasted or were just wasted the night before. Then that same @sshole calls his friends and does the same thing! It's a gym, not a singles bar! Sorry I had to vent and now it's time to invest in an MP3 player and tune them out.
agreed. i stopped going to my university gym just cause i got sick of all that. i want to go there and get my stuff done- plus it gets super crowded and end up takin more time waiting for stuff to open up.

i ended up getting an outside gym membership and i love it. when i usually go, there's not too many people , and the ones there are actually there to be productive. oh, and the cell phone thing- i just leave mine in the car. people know i'm at the gym and if it's a dire emergency, i have a gym magnet on the fridge.

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
I train in a dungeon-like hardcore gym... and if you walk in with a cell phone, or if your seen with a cellphone, or if the fucker goes off.... your Guaranteed to have some 270+lb monster totally flip out on you. I fuckin love it.

badmofaux

Awards
Heh heh--I agree.... I'm just a peon, and I'm not important, and I often look stupid. But, my job requires me to be "on-call." (I'm in the tech industry, and I support enterprise systems that need to be up and running 24/7, kinda like this website.)

Considering each of my dreaded on-call shifts runs for 7 consecutive days, I often sneak out to the gym while I'm on-call. So, I have to bring my gay cell phone with me just in case **** hits the fan when I'm gone. Don't get too pissy with me, though--I keep my phone on vibrate, and my typical call lasts less than 30 seconds (so that I can hurry back to my home office).

I hate cell phones in the gym. Nobody is that important that they need have it with them at all times. It just looks stupid.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Most of the guys who talk on their cells at the gym are awesome at squat rack wrist curls.
very true, they are sometimes dressed in their clubbing outfits/costumes

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Heh heh--I agree.... I'm just a peon, and I'm not important, and I often look stupid. But, my job requires me to be "on-call." (I'm in the tech industry, and I support enterprise systems that need to be up and running 24/7, kinda like this website.)

Considering each of my dreaded on-call shifts runs for 7 consecutive days, I often sneak out to the gym while I'm on-call. So, I have to bring my gay cell phone with me just in case **** hits the fan when I'm gone. Don't get too pissy with me, though--I keep my phone on vibrate, and my typical call lasts less than 30 seconds (so that I can hurry back to my home office).
No, that's different and falls under my list of exceptions. It's the ones who talk loud into it to make social calls and impress everyone with the amount of friends they have. Yours is a business need.

It's a more "what you do with it" kind of thing to me rather than a black and white good/bad thing.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
(after 10 minutes on the phone)

"Hey buddy... Let me call you back... I'm losing my pump*... and I'm trying to get to the liquor store by 8pm^ - I need to finish up with the tricep rope+."

* = (almost non-existant)
^ = (time is 7:43pm, gym and liquor store close at 8pm)
+ = bad form on tricep rope

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
"Pick me up a sixer of low carb beer. I'm running a cutting cycle."

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:wave2:

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Epic bump! I imagine his thread will have different answers now. I don't talk on my phone at the gym but I use it as my mp3 player and to log workouts via the gym hero app. Although I still see people at my gym talking on the phone while on the elliptical. Kinda silly they cant just call the person back when they're done.

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
why hate on the phones? i carry mine all the time. i like to talk or text to people while doin my lifts. if its people that stay on ther phones 24/7 and makin people wait on weights or machine then ya understandable. what if its an important call, point of a cell phone is to reach someone without a chord plugged into ur home phone

JD261985

Banned
Awards
why hate on the phones? i carry mine all the time. i like to talk or text to people while doin my lifts. if its people that stay on ther phones 24/7 and makin people wait on weights or machine then ya understandable. what if its an important call, point of a cell phone is to reach someone without a chord plugged into ur home phone
Its the people who talk on the phone so that everyone can year them across the room that piss people off. No one cares about your supposed million dollar deal lol. ****ing clowns.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Airplane mode, headphones in, everyone else can f off while I lift. I hate people on the rack who talk talk and talk more

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
Its the people who talk on the phone so that everyone can year them across the room that piss people off. No one cares about your supposed million dollar deal lol. ****ing clowns.
hahahahaha i no those people, agreed

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
i dont got a problem with the quick ones that end with "can i call you back?" its the dam goons that sit on the bench/rack/machine and talk for more than 1 minute or, god forbid, drama talk at the gym. those ones make me wanna throw a plate at them like a discus

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Is the screen for anabolic minds kind of yellow tinted? Maybe its the S4 I'm using lol the hell

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Fuk curling in the squat rack! I don't want to be a dick and be like "hey bro, can you go curl somewhere else". Srs, this dude at my gym spent like 20 minutes doing curls. I raged lol. Or, parents bring like 8-12 year olds into the gym and they almost hit your bar while squatting

blueice

Awards
it says a lot... those kind of people are so annoying sometimes, and even shouting too loud seems they can't hear the person they're talking to. they can do it outside..

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
There turning our gym into a f'ing country club. People sit on the equipment checking e mails and texting!!! I dont mind checking in on FBsaying where I'm at like most people do, but then i put my phone in my bag and start doing work!!!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol I rememeber the worst was this lady reading between sets.... like chapters her in between rest periods were like 10 minutes :O come on