Chemical Weapons Factory FOUND!!

Hal

Awards
Well, in all fairness, even the report says that it would be premature to call it a chemical weapons factory. Of course, it would be hard to explain why such a complex would be needed to make beer. I kinda hope in a certain way that it can be proven a chemical weapons plant (my fear that they had it keeps me from being too happy about it being found only after such an invasion). Such a find would turn this from an illegal and unjustified attack to only an illegal attack.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
illegal? how so?

Saddam himself signed a resolution back in the early 90s that says we can come in and disarm him if he doesn't...

sounds legal to me

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Im with you there Bean, nothing illegal about enforcement of a LEGAL document that was signed in good faith by the USA now would that be illegal..

Hal

Awards
Sorry to be responding so late, I had an issue with my email.....
Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong...but the agreement was with the UN, not the US. The UN said "no" to sending troops in yet the US still went in. It appears that Iraq was conforming to the UN resolution and the inspectors were allowed access (granted, not quite full and complete access, but still access). International law is a funny thing, it's sort of a "wink" to everyone else that each country will abide. Outside of our Executive's legal team, I'm unaware of any international law scholar that has called our actions in Iraq legal.
Personally, I'd be suprised if Iraq didn't have some sort of biological/chemical warefare program....honestly, I'd be suprised if we didn't have a stockpile somewhere "just in case".
I'd have no problem with our actions if it was billed as a humanitarian effort...kinda like we did w/Milosovic (sp?). Bad dictator committing war crimes=moral duty to remove him. Saddam is a bod dictator and commits (or at least committed) war crimes; therefore he should be removed and it's our moral duty to do so. What I don't like is that the current US action is being portrayed as a spin-off of the 9/11 attack. Were it to be shown that there was a strong connection to that, or even that Saddam was actively seeking bigger and bigger weapons to destroy us, that would be one thing. However all I see coming out of Washington are conclusory statements without firm data.
I hate to mention that our Executive branch has personal issues with Saddam, and I'd certainly not mention the ties to big oil that are there...but I bet that the news would be alot different today if someone discovered how to run cars with kim chee.