Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am curious...in states where pot is legal what are the laws concerning driving?

stock28

Awards
  • Established
You cannot drive while under the influence of pot. It’s a little more complicated then alcohol because it stays in your system for long periods of time as opposed to alcohol which starts dissipating in an hour. A blood test will give you a level and it is presumed under the influence if at a certain level, much like alcohol. When it was illegal any amount could be used for a dui even if smoked days prior to driving.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You cannot drive while under the influence of pot. It’s a little more complicated then alcohol because it stays in your system for long periods of time as opposed to alcohol which starts dissipating in an hour. A blood test will give you a level and it is presumed under the influence if at a certain level, much like alcohol. When it was illegal any amount could be used for a dui even if smoked days prior to driving.
ok, I understand-it's complicated. I hope some genius comes up with a testing device like for alcohol, I can see blood testing getting a whole lot of resistance.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am curious...in states where pot is legal what are the laws concerning driving?
In Cali if your smoking and driving its a dui.
There are people in the DUI classes for weed now..
But you pretty much have to literally be smoking and driving OR dumb enough to admit you just smoked.
I've been driving and smoking pot for 20 years and never had a problem.
Its a little more strict now. Just got to be cautious.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
In Cali if your smoking and driving its a dui.
There are people in the DUI classes for weed now..
But you pretty much have to literally be smoking and driving OR dumb enough to admit you just smoked.
I've been driving and smoking pot for 20 years and never had a problem.
Its a little more strict now. Just got to be cautious.
I think this pretty much sums it up...only problem is you are experienced with smoking and driving, what about noobs?

I don't want to see more impaired drivers on the road, but if given a choice I would take pot smokers over drunks everyday of the week!!!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think this pretty much sums it up...only problem is you are experienced with smoking and driving, what about noobs?

I don't want to see more impaired drivers on the road, but if given a choice I would take pot smokers over drunks everyday of the week!!!
Me too

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Blood testing doesn’t get a lot of resistance. It’s part of implied consent to provide blood urine or breath. You can refuse but it’s a longer suspension.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. In CO, many people have been arrested for being under the influence in the same manner as drinking. Make driving mistakes, get pulled over, and if suspected they will give you a road side. They also use visuals as part evidence ie. pupils, dry mouth, etc.. It's understood that blood levels alone aren't an accurate way to determine intoxication.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Texting and driving is the real problem

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Couldn’t help myself. I’ll get off the soapbox. Carry on...

Whiteboyblue

Awards
In Canada they are rolling out saliva tests that detect thc among other drugs, the penalty is the equivalent to a felony, they are way more strict post legalization. If you are even in a vehicle that has the potential to move including a boat while smoking it is considered an offense.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In Canada they are rolling out saliva tests that detect thc among other drugs, the penalty is the equivalent to a felony, they are way more strict post legalization. If you are even in a vehicle that has the potential to move including a boat while smoking it is considered an offense.
I would think saliva tests would be the best. From what I have read it shows if its been used within the last 45 min. or something like that. A blood or urine test for THC would not be a good test (assuming it is legal to use in you area) what if you lit up 2 days ago at home and got urine or blood tested. I think it would still show up? it sticks around for 30 days in the urine.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would think saliva tests would be the best. From what I have read it shows if its been used within the last 45 min. or something like that. A blood or urine test for THC would not be a good test (assuming it is legal to use in you area) what if you lit up 2 days ago at home and got urine or blood tested. I think it would still show up? it sticks around for 30 days in the urine.
you are making valid points...a legit way to test was my initial concern.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I hope the saliva test proves to be accurate, I wonder if it would hold up in the U.S. criminal courts--there is a lot of money involved for defense attorneys and they are very clever.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If they are going to make it legal they need a good way to see if you are impaired or not. Heck my eyes are almost always red from using a computer most of the day. or just tired.

I remember when I was in High school driving a co worker home from work at 2:00am swerved a little to miss a Pothole. Got pulled over. cop asked me why my eyes were so red (in this case I was stoned) told him just got off work and was tired. ask why I swerved, told him there was a pothole back there in the road. lucky for me his partner said yes there is a pretty large pothole back there. Got the Okay and stay safe.
Trust me there was a lot of yes sir and no sir going on!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The topic induced my curiouslity to research a little bit.

THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

"Although cognitive studies suggest that cannabis use may lead to unsafe driving, experimental studies have suggested that it can have the opposite effect. Epidemiological studies have themselves been inconsistent, and thus have not resolved the question. One possibility is that people who smoke marijuana share qualities—being young, male, and risk-taking—that would increase their risk of road traffic accidents even in the absence of marijuana use. It has been suggested that there is a single factor that underlies adolescent “problem behaviors” such as illicit drug use, precocious sexual intercourse, and problem drinking."

And, If I see one more person texting while driving, I'm going to roll down my window and throw my beer at them.

(Steal this)
a.png

I ride my bike to and from work every day. If I am ever hit by a car or the usual close call, it is my estimation they are texting and driving and not under any other influece except the over abundance of consuming ignorance!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

"Although cognitive studies suggest that cannabis use may lead to unsafe driving, experimental studies have suggested that it can have the opposite effect. Epidemiological studies have themselves been inconsistent, and thus have not resolved the question. One possibility is that people who smoke marijuana share qualities—being young, male, and risk-taking—that would increase their risk of road traffic accidents even in the absence of marijuana use. It has been suggested that there is a single factor that underlies adolescent “problem behaviors” such as illicit drug use, precocious sexual intercourse, and problem drinking."

And, If I see one more person texting while driving, I'm going to roll down my window and throw my beer at them.
"And, If I see one more person texting while driving, I'm going to roll down my window and throw my beer at them."

LMAO!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I know in my younger days I was very cautious and law abiding of my driving while I was using. Didn't want to get pulled over with a bag on me. I would even check all my lights and blinkers at night before I left.

Don't know how many of my buddies got busted because they had a tag light or tail light out.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Stealing your end quote

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know in my younger days I was very cautious and law abiding of my driving while I was using. Didn't want to get pulled over with a bag on me. I would even check all my lights and blinkers at night before I left.

Don't know how many of my buddies got busted because they had a tag light or tail light out.
Everybody always comments how good I drive.
I always say " its from driving with warrants" got to drive perfect to not get pulled over.
I honestly havnt witnessed marijuana negatively impact driving. Im more cautious in general when I'm stoned.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Does this include pedal bikes??

Curious

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've been pulled over in Connecticut with weed in my car (few years ago). They took it and let me go. This happened twice to me and once to my brother.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been pulled over in Connecticut with weed in my car (few years ago). They took it and let me go. This happened twice to me and once to my brother.
Is it legal in Connecticut?
That's how it was in Cali untill legalization.
I've had dozens of cops not even take my weed. Now its different.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is it legal in Connecticut?
That's how it was in Cali untill legalization.
I've had dozens of cops not even take my weed. Now its different.

Cgkone is it true that possession of meth is just a ticket in cali?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cgkone is it true that possession of meth is just a ticket in cali?
Possession of under a gram is a misdemeanor and you get cited out. Under the influence is just a ticket.
You see the impact. The tweaker count in Sacramento is up. They don't worry about getting locked up so they don't even hide.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Possession of under a gram is a misdemeanor and you get cited out. Under the influence is just a ticket.
You see the impact. The tweaker count in Sacramento is up. They don't worry about getting locked up so they don't even hide.
this would be of much greater concern to me than pot.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s insane. I had never heard of that before.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s insane. I had never heard of that before.
Its very real. I'll be the first to admit that the War on Drugs was a massive failure. But I'm not sure Society is ready for decriminalization of hard drugs. It comes with a heavy price on the community

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow. Just wow. I completely agree on your 2 points. Sure there are plenty of people who are able to use and stay rational and responsible, but the number of people who cannot far outweighs them. All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody and that would happen the second it was legal. Denver trying hard to get shrooms legal on the ballot. Just what we need, people trippin balls and crashing cars. Pass. Furthermore, this state by state legalization is awful, It needs to be federal if anything. CO is essentially ruined from its old glory.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From personal experience from MANY years ago in my youth for both myself and being around others, Id hope it would never be legal to smoke and drive. However, another issue is a bigger concern of mine which is driving on certain prescription meds....Some of these meds have far more potential to effect driving than pot.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow. Just wow. I completely agree on your 2 points. Sure there are plenty of people who are able to use and stay rational and responsible, but the number of people who cannot far outweighs them. All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody and that would happen the second it was legal. Denver trying hard to get shrooms legal on the ballot. Just what we need, people trippin balls and crashing cars. Pass. Furthermore, this state by state legalization is awful, It needs to be federal if anything. CO is essentially ruined from its old glory.
And the media will fully hide any negative aspects of legalization.

jiggero

jiggero

Awards
  • Established
However, another issue is a bigger concern of mine which is driving on certain prescription meds....Some of these meds have far more potential to effect driving than pot.
Oxycontin for instance. Its like driving on heroin.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
From personal experience from MANY years ago in my youth for both myself and being around others, Id hope it would never be legal to smoke and drive. However, another issue is a bigger concern of mine which is driving on certain prescription meds....Some of these meds have far more potential to effect driving than pot.
Potency on the legal stuff is way more than anything that was on the street back in the day. And edibles are a whole other thing that takes time to kick in, but when it does, there is no way a person should be behind the wheel. Driving impaired is driving impaired. Of course there are degrees of just how impaired one thing makes you compared to another, but nobody should be attacking one and justifying their use of another. Especially in the age of Uber/Lyft, there is no reason to have to drive while impaired.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
People who use psychedelics are not the type of people to drive while under the influence, at least in my experience. Hell take them and you won't even think about driving. It will literally seem like a foreign concept to you, and you will want nothing to do with it. Now walking and hiking while on shrooms, that's the ****.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Potency on the legal stuff is way more than anything that was on the street back in the day. And edibles are a whole other thing that takes time to kick in, but when it does, there is no way a person should be behind the wheel. Driving impaired is driving impaired. Of course there are degrees of just how impaired one thing makes you compared to another, but nobody should be attacking one and justifying their use of another. Especially in the age of Uber/Lyft, there is no reason to have to drive while impaired.
Agreed that concentrates are whole different animal

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would really like to see the youngsters get behind a no driving while impaired campaign...the numbers support the fact that they are much more likely to be killed by impaired driver than gun.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would really like to see the youngsters get behind a no driving while impaired campaign...the numbers support the fact that they are much more likely to be killed by impaired driver than gun.
I dunno, most kids I talk to just are on this pot aint never killed anyone hype....but thats confusing as pot and driving putting other people on the road at risk is a different animal.

Im a huge end the war on drugs person, but at the same time I would get behind bigger punishment for impaired driving.

Problem with pot is how do you measure how "high" someone is, it gets complicated compared to alcohol.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You don't have to choose one over the other. People can be for not driving while impaired and finding ways to decrease gun violence. Less dead people is less dead people too.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I dunno, most kids I talk to just are on this pot aint never killed anyone hype....but thats confusing as pot and driving putting other people on the road at risk is a different animal.

Im a huge end the war on drugs person, but at the same time I would get behind bigger punishment for impaired driving.

Problem with pot is how do you measure how "high" someone is, it gets complicated compared to alcohol.
why don't cops stake out bar parking lots on Friday/saturday nights?

at the same time cops stake out drug houses, now that's complicated!!!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

It's adults too. Back when I was a kid it was hidden behind attempts to convince people how useful hemp was. Now it's the lies about pot curing cancer and cbd oil curing everything. I'm for legalizing everything, but having strict punishments for when it causes harm to somebody that chooses not to partake. If somebody wants to spend their life doing coke and hookers, I'm all for it as long as they don't hurt anybody else.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why don't cops stake out bar parking lots on Friday/saturday nights?

at the same time cops stake out drug houses, now that's complicated!!!
I think the best way would be through education and a deterrent with hard punishment upon conviction. Your not going to ever rid of intoxicated driving as long as people drive, and until driver-less cars completely take over its not going to be stopped but we certainly can reduce through strategic awareness. Education for me is #1 in reduction. Also, if government wasnt such an ass to people who chose to do things to their own bodies as well perhaps more people would listen to them imo.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think the best way would be through education and a deterrent with hard punishment upon conviction. Your not going to ever rid of intoxicated driving as long as people drive, and until driver-less cars completely take over its not going to be stopped but we certainly can reduce through strategic awareness. Education for me is #1 in reduction. Also, if government wasnt such an ass to people who chose to do things to their own bodies as well perhaps more people would listen to them imo.
I agree with most of what you are saying...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's adults too. Back when I was a kid it was hidden behind attempts to convince people how useful hemp was. Now it's the lies about pot curing cancer and cbd oil curing everything. I'm for legalizing everything, but having strict punishments for when it causes harm to somebody that chooses not to partake. If somebody wants to spend their life doing coke and hookers, I'm all for it as long as they don't hurt anybody else.
omg...as if there aren't enough stupid people doing stupid stuff already, lol.

I just can't get my head around what it would be like if ALL drugs were legalized!!!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its horrible. Look at San Francisco. Syringes litter the street. Homeless everywhere.
That is horrible. In Oklahoma it's a misdemeanor for pot if they think its for personal consumption. you still get arrested and have to go to court.
From what I have heard the fines are pretty high. If they think its intent to distribute you are in trouble, even if its a first offence.
they did pass medical here but no one knows the rules yet. they are fighting about it.