best show currently on tv

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
vote for what you think is the best running show on tv right now. i'll start.

i don't watch that much tv, so i might not have a fair assesment but my vote has to go to:

ENTOURAGE (on HBO), i love that show.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
HBO's had a real winning streak - haven't heard about Entourage, tho.

care to share?

For my vote...I don't watch television. I'm down in a hole where broadcast signals can't get to me, and I fell out of the habit - I watched so seldom it stopped being worth it to pay cable/sattelite rates so I had 'em pull the plug.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I love the Chapelle show. If only he can recover so we can watch season 3. I also love South Park & The Simpsons, Homer is one of the greatest characters of all-time bar none.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have no idea. Hardly watch tv. Anything with beautiful women will do I guess.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Battlestar Galactica (the new one) - especially the Eurpoean version.

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
I second Battlestar Galactica -- best show on TV --

how's the european version different? more titty? or do all the french survivors surrender to the Cylons? :)

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
yea, rescue me is great, forgot about that one.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Deadwood, carnival was good but it was cancelled, Reno 9-11, and chapelle.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I second Battlestar Galactica -- best show on TV --

how's the european version different? more titty? or do all the french survivors surrender to the Cylons? :)
LoL. Luckily there are no French...

The European version has a little more "skin" action (no nudity still, but God do I love Number 6).

It also has a little more violence. (offhand, I think in the first installment where Number 6 reaches into the baby carriage and snaps the baby's neck was edited out of the North American release.) It may also depend on what feed you saw it on (Sci-Fi channel vs NBC).

The pilot movie was I believe 4 hours long, but the NBC version was only 3 - it just missed certain nice elements...

As well, I love the music in the episode intro in the European version vs North America. I don't know why they changed it. :(

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica

Next season addition: Night Stalker

boomr

Board Supporter
Awards
chalk up another nerd, because I am with Matt D on this one. I make sure I never miss a SG1, Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica show. Gotta love DVR on dish.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Deadwood. Only show I really watch. Sopranos used to be good, but it seems like the writers fell in love with themselves and forgot that plots actually have to move forward the last couple of seasons.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
NCIS, Chapelle Show, South Park and I can't wait when NFL season starts!

StuckeyBoss

Awards
The best show ever to be on tv was Ed.

The best show playing now is.... House MD

StuckeyBoss

Awards
It just grabs your attention from the start and you cant stop watching it. Good stuff.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Reno or Chappelle for comedy. Sportscenter has been good at times and bad at times, I think the peak was mid to late 90's. One of the three, who can do without them?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
smallville, south park, chappelle show, and daily show.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Reno or Chappelle for comedy. Sportscenter has been good at times and bad at times, I think the peak was mid to late 90's. One of the three, who can do without them?
Sportscenter and ESPN in general are losing it. First it was their stupid anti-steroids propaganda, than it was their horrible anchors, now it's stupid programs like poker, the spelling bee, bowling, and other crap that does not qualify as a sport.

iwannagetbig

Board Supporter
Awards
What do you guys thinka bout "The Wire"?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Nothing new that intrigues me too much. I dont mind The Cut on CBS, or StripSearch on VHS (hehe). Old reruns of the Steve Harvey Show is decent. But my vote goes for the ol' staples... Simpsons and Sportscenter.
Sage

Brooklyn

Awards
The Shield - FX

Real Time With Bill Maher - HBO

Family Guy - Fox

Chappelle's Show - COM

Daily Show - COM

I'll give a breakdown on a few of these, since most people didn't mention them:

The Shield -

Anyone who has not seen this show needs to head to Blockbuster, where they've finally gotten their heads out of their asses and carry the first few seasons. Rent Season 1 and prepare yourself for a cop show unlike any other. Until you have seen the first episode of this show, you will not "get" why this is such compelling drama. Taking the basic elements of a cop show and throwing them out the window, Shawn Ryan and FX present a show about the trials and tribulations of Detective Vic Mackie and crew on the streets of the fictional Farmingdale district of Los Angeles. Vic Mackie, played by The Commish/Fantastic Four star Michael Chiklis, is more Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant than David Caruso in NYPD Blue. His commanding officer, Captain David Aceveda, refers to him as, "Al Capone with a badge." He commands a "Strike Team" of detectives who often take the role of SWAT, breaking down the doors others don't even want to knock on. They make street deals with drug dealers and use excessive force to control the streets. Aceveda wants to take Mackie down and elists the help of another officer on his Strike Team to try to incriminate him. Vic's too smart for him though and always seems to escape the hatchet despite the frequent close calls. Filled with nudity, violence and bad language, what makes this show truly unique is the moral ambiguity displayed by almost everyone on the show. The cops are shown working with drug dealers, beating criminals when they feel it appropriate, routinely tricking suspects into confessions and constantly lying to make things workable. That is not to mention the finale of the first episode, which must be seen to be believed. If you enjoyed Training Day, this show is for you. Cops are much more like this than in some Steven Bochco production, and Mackie is a classic film noir, hard-nosed detective. He's a bad guy with good intentions, or a good guy with street ambitions. Time is always running out for him, and he knows it. Even after several years, this show is still compelling and you often don't know quite what's going to happen next. Vic says to a suspect before beating him to gain a confession, "Good cop and bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop." And this is a different kind of show. Check it out.

Real Time with Bill Maher-

Bill Maher is the kind of guy who loves America and hates government stupidity. The voice of reason on COM/ABC's Politically Incorrect has found a home on HBO where he can be free to express his opinions unencumbered by censorship or corporate sponsors' objections. And he does a great job of it, inviting a diverse array of guests weekly to discuss and debate current topics of contention. Maher is often dismissed as a liberal, but he is more in favor of personal rights and responsibilities than in excessive social welfare. With friends ranging from Al Franken and Michael Moore to Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly, all of whom have made entertaining appearances on his show, he is always attempting to be even-handed in his debating and allow for different points of view. What makes this show great is not only that he speaks on subjects no one else tackles but it is at its most entertaining to see how easily sacred cows and paper tigers can be dispersed and debunked through logic and reason. When watching certain persons strain to make their point it becomes clear that they have either not thought out their position very thoroughly or are just plain full of crap. The show is a filter for B.S., sifting out the rhetoric and provoking that which is sorely lacking on most news channel debates, an impetus to think and decide for yourself what is truth and what is obfuscation. Also recommended are his last HBO special and his book, "When You Ride Alone... You Ride With bin Laden".

If you haven't seen the other mentioned series', then I think you've had your head in the sand too long. :D

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
House M.D.
I love Hugh Laurie's role, it's awesome.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Another vote for Family Guy.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
or StripSearch on VHS (hehe).
Sage
I know that guy Rick from back home. He's good friends with my other friend that banged that Hustler Centerfold I posted about.

Sounds kinda far fetched I know...