What is your vertical leap?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Love to see how you guys and girls do here. A bit of fun to see how all that leg training carries over to your hop.

Vertical Jump Calculator

I'm at 35.5" according to the calculator. Checks out to be pretty spot on after testing.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
By the lack of responses it seems nobody does lol.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do but that is incorporated in exercises as in squat jumps and burpees. Those are from the stationary position and not with forward momentum as with hurdles, or alternating high knees drills through tires- you know just like HS football. Do all of that. Jumping is part of the movement not a sole indicator of performance. Well a hurdle has to be cleared to progress.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been playing basketball once or twice a week now for the last 7 or 8 months so I think my vertical has gone up but I've never measured it

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards
35” god that’s a great freaking very thought I was doing something at 26” but I’m 5’8” so still not dunking hahaha

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
30"

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
26" isn't too bad. When I first starting lifting weights my vertical was 20". I still can't really dunk a basketball (5'11) but can do a tennis ball. A 40" vertical leap should be within anyones grasp when in lean condition and nearing their natural genetic limit. There is a point where increasing your power to weight ratio no longer carrys over to an increase in vertical leap but that's in the neighborhood of 2.5-3x bodyweight. Dr Squat (Fred Hatfield) discovered his talent for powerlifting through his unusually high vertical leap in highschool. He had a 40" vertical before he ever trained his legs. The first time he trained the squat he was able to lift in excess of 2x bodyweight. Lucky bugger!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
29.75"

580#sgt with 330#bw.....yes I'm a fat fawker

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
29.75"

580#sgt with 330#bw.....yes I'm a fat fawker
How tall are you? Thats a heavy squat. My goal right now is 500. Last time i maxed was 405

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
26" isn't too bad. When I first starting lifting weights my vertical was 20". I still can't really dunk a basketball (5'11) but can do a tennis ball. A 40" vertical leap should be within anyones grasp when in lean condition and nearing their natural genetic limit. There is a point where increasing your power to weight ratio no longer carrys over to an increase in vertical leap but that's in the neighborhood of 2.5-3x bodyweight. Dr Squat (Fred Hatfield) discovered his talent for powerlifting through his unusually high vertical leap in highschool. He had a 40" vertical before he ever trained his legs. The first time he trained the squat he was able to lift in excess of 2x bodyweight. Lucky bugger!
I’m going to contest your claim that a 40” vertical leap (not running leap, but from rest) is within most people’s limits/abilities. Not to be a pessimist, but just a realist. To put things in perspective, NO position in the NFL combine has an average of 40” vertical. Not even WRs and DBs going into the NFL average a 40” vertical, and those are the most explosive athletes in the sport. Only 12 players in the 2018 NFL combine had a vertical of 40” or more. So the average person can achieve more than the average NFL-prospect WR/DB/RB/etc? Sorry, but this is an overly optimistic claim that isn’t supported by real-world evidence.

36” would be AMAZING for the vast majority of people, and is still average for a NFL back, which is damn impressive.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, given the average US male height of 5’10”, assuming that most people (average) could attain a 40” vertical, that means that your average person could be throwing down windmills and reverse dunks lol. This 5’10” with a 40” vertical is within 1-2” (both in height and vert) of Allen Iverson. I’m not buying it.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Do you doubt the equation which estimates vertical leap or the aquisition of such strength feats for the average person?
While it's true few people have a 40" vertical it's also true the average person neither has the desire to train consistently for a decade and come close to their natural genetic potential in bodybuilding and fewer yet train to meet the requirements of a strong vertical leap.
Furthermore sports are not only about vertical leaps. It is very difficult to reach your maximum power to weight ratio if it isn't the only thing you're training for. For many sports you'll want to be a well rounded athlete. I don't follow NFL. We have AFL and there are also few elite athletes possessing a 40" vertical leap. Thing is these guys have to be strong and have great level of cardiovascular conditioning to get drafted. If they cut the cardio and trained specifically for strength and movement efficiency I have no doubt all of them could achieve a 40" vertical.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you doubt the equation which estimates vertical leap or the aquisition of such strength feats for the average person?
While it's true few people have a 40" vertical it's also true the average person neither has the desire to train consistently for a decade and come close to their natural genetic potential in bodybuilding and fewer yet train to meet the requirements of a strong vertical leap.
Furthermore sports are not only about vertical leaps. It is very difficult to reach your maximum power to weight ratio if it isn't the only thing you're training for. For many sports you'll want to be a well rounded athlete. I don't follow NFL. We have AFL and there are also few elite athletes possessing a 40" vertical leap. Thing is these guys have to be strong and have great level of cardiovascular conditioning to get drafted. If they cut the cardio and trained specifically for strength and movement efficiency I have no doubt all of them could achieve a 40" vertical.
I doubt your claims because the real-world evidence is in stark contrast to your claims. Also, regarding training for the NFL combine, many athletes will actually focus on explosiveness, training to maximize their vertical leap, 40-yard dash, broad jump, etc. and also even bench press, depending on what position they play. They also have access to the best of the best professional trainers who teach them the optimal technique for jumping, which I’d wager add a bit to their jumps, and they STILL DON’T hit 40” the majority of the time. Plenty of NFL players squat well over 2x their body weight and don’t touch a 40” vertical, and some people are just amazing jumpers and not great squatters.

Running back Nick Chubb squatted 600lbs at a bodyweight of 230. His vertical was 38.5”. Your equation/calculator gives him an estimated vertical of 43+”. So it’s off by 4+ inches. That’s a very substantial amount when you’re talking 40+”.

Also, when we talk NFL backs, were talking the MOST EXPLOSIVE athletes in the sport, arguably in the country/world. Maybe they can all get to 40”, but even this is highly questionable, but to say that the AVERAGE PERSON, who isn’t a genetically gifted athlete, can get to a 40” vertical is silly.

What’s the record vertical in the NFL? 46”. The highest anyone in the NBA has even claimed or had claimed is 48”, and that’s entirely unsubstantiated. So the difference between literally the most genetically gifted and trained athlete and the average joe who trains their ass off is 6-8”. That’s unlikely, and the numbers don’t support your argument.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No one at the 2018 NBA combine had a 40” standing vertical. But the average Joe can do it? Let’s be realistic; your calculator may work for average Joes, and people in normal to advanced levels, but the overwhelming body of real-world dats seems to indicate that it doesn’t really pan out for elite athletes.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is very impressive. Brock Lesnar in his prime also had some strong legs even if they seemed dwarfed by his traps. 35" at a weight of 300lb.
He claimed to squat 695 at 290. Your calculator give him a 40+” vertical. 5” is a huge difference. 34-36” peak for a lot of people is infinitely more believable than 40”, as I highly doubt the average person can train to surpass the average NFL-combine back by 4” (40” vs 36”).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again, 5’10” with a 40” vertical is almost SPOT ON for Allen Iverson. It’s also what you claim your average person can achieve. So your average person can train their way to being as explosive as one of the most gifted “shorter” NBA players there is/was. That just doesn’t add up my friend.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lifter Ray Williams squatted 1005 raw in competition at a weight of I think around 360-370. Your calculator gives a 45” vertical. At 370 it’s INSANE; at any weight it’s close to the best vertical of all time.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That had to be exhausting typing all of that out but I love when people are passionate about being right lol

IMG_0220.JPG

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That had to be exhausting typing all of that out but I love when people are passionate about being right lol

View attachment 166329
Are those your numbers? Are they accurate?

I've known people with crazy-good verticals who were average or below average (relatively) lifters/squatters. So if they trained to squat they could be dunking with their feet? Or getting their chin stuck on the rim?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Taken from higher-faster-sports in case anyone missed it.

The basic idea is that for a given squat and bodyweight you SHOULD be able to jump a given height AS LONG AS your movement efficiency in the jump is up to par. If your current squat gives you a vertical jump forecast that is above your actual current jump height you know you need to work on transferring your squat strength into jump explosiveness better, thus you need more actual jump training and perhaps more explosive oriented training. If your VJ is even, or above, the forecasted VJ, you know your jumping efficiency is good, you're transferring your strength into explosiveness well, and should continue driving up your squat.

Note: The calculator works best if you're between 5'6 and 6'0 tall. Shorter folks tend to require slightly heavier squats for a given VJ and taller folks tend to require slightly less.

I don't recall Brock Lesnar having a 695 olympic squat and I doubt he'd base any claims on such. I'd guess his olympic squat was closer to 600 if he was doing 695 to parallel.
There's also a point of diminishing returns to consider. A 3x BW squat isn't necessarily going to mean a 50" vertical. I'm not certain the implications of excess mass on movement efficiency where these hulks are concerned but I seriously doubt it's doing them any favours.

tyga tyga, that's impressive! Have you attempted to test your leap to see how it stacks up? It's been spot on for me. (5'10, 190, 400 olympic squat)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taken from higher-faster-sports in case anyone missed it.

The basic idea is that for a given squat and bodyweight you SHOULD be able to jump a given height AS LONG AS your movement efficiency in the jump is up to par. If your current squat gives you a vertical jump forecast that is above your actual current jump height you know you need to work on transferring your squat strength into jump explosiveness better, thus you need more actual jump training and perhaps more explosive oriented training. If your VJ is even, or above, the forecasted VJ, you know your jumping efficiency is good, you're transferring your strength into explosiveness well, and should continue driving up your squat.

Note: The calculator works best if you're between 5'6 and 6'0 tall. Shorter folks tend to require slightly heavier squats for a given VJ and taller folks tend to require slightly less.

I don't recall Brock Lesnar having a 695 olympic squat and I doubt he'd base any claims on such. I'd guess his olympic squat was closer to 600 if he was doing 695 to parallel.
There's also a point of diminishing returns to consider. A 3x BW squat isn't necessarily going to mean a 50" vertical. I'm not certain the implications of excess mass on movement efficiency where these hulks are concerned but I seriously doubt it's doing them any favours.

tyga tyga, that's impressive! Have you attempted to test your leap to see how it stacks up? It's been spot on for me. (5'10, 190, 400 olympic squat)
Your claim of a 40” vertical being achievable for the AVERAGE person is still unsubstantiated. No position in the NFL or NBA averages even close to 40”. The highest was 36” average. The highest vertical ever recorded in a combine (NFL or NBA) was 46”. So the difference between the best in the world and average is 6”? You really think that no NFL or NBA player has ever maximized their potential for jumping by lifting? The highest ever was 46”. There’s no way average is at least 40”. Basic standard deviation seen in the NFL snd NBA combines support this. 34-36” would be a much more believable claim. That the average person could work their way to jumping like a NFL back, not that the average person could work their way to jumping 4” higher than that; being spot on for Allen Iverson. That’s silly.

I just don’t know where you’re getting your claim of 40” being achievable for the average person from. Can you elaborate? The calculator is interesting, but I still don’t see the basis for your 40” claim.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are those your numbers? Are they accurate?

I've known people with crazy-good verticals who were average or below average (relatively) lifters/squatters. So if they trained to squat they could be dunking with their feet? Or getting their chin stuck on the rim?
Yes, those are my numbers. No idea if my vertical is anywhere close to that.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
What makes you think all NBA players have above average genetics for jumping. I'd imagine they are selected for a more complete skill set. Do you really need to have a huge vertical if you're 6'5+ to dunk a 10ft ring? Then again NFL combine records are 45,46"
Now 46" would be a 15% increase over an average trainees best.
That's like a 100 meter sprinter running 11.5 against your 10 second elite sprinters. It's a huge difference When getting to these heights every inch is going to be substantial. I cannot prove the average man will achieve a 40" vertical but given the available evidence in this case your guess is as good as mine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What makes you think all NBA players have above average genetics for jumping. I'd imagine they are selected for a more complete skill set. Do you really need to have a huge vertical if you're 6'5+ to dunk a 10ft ring? Then again NFL combine records are 45,46"
Now 46" would be a 15% increase over an average trainees best.
That's like a 100 meter sprinter running 11.5 against your 10 second elite sprinters. It's a huge difference When getting to these heights every inch is going to be substantial. I cannot prove the average man will achieve a 40" vertical but given the available evidence in this case your guess is as good as mine.
No, your evidence is not as good as mine. I showed that only a VERY SMALL portion of even elite athletes have a 40” vertical. You’d first have to make the claim that even all elite athletes could obtain a 40” athlete, and then go to saying that most people can obtain a 40” vertical. If you’re claiming that elite athletes, specifically NFL backs and NBA guards/forwards, don’t have above average genetics for jumping as a whole, I’d again ask you why? If not them, then who? Jumping and running often go hand in hand (explosiveness) and NFL backs are among the most explosive, fastest athletes in the world. But yeah, they surely have below average genetics for jumping. Also, for the NBA, even if someone who is 6’5” can dunk without a high vertical, surely you can see how getting 4-6” higher go grab a rebound, block a shot, or elevate over a defender would be incredibly useful. Also, see my Allen Iverson example. He’s within 1” in regards to both height and vertical as your average person, yet he was regarded as one of the best jumping “short” players in the NBA.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
What evidence do you have that NFL and NBA players are at their genetic limit for vertical leap? It is not a requirement to make the team. They have to make the cut and that is it! Some may have a desire to jump higher than anybody else and truly be at their limit but I doubt it is the most important skill they must hone for success. You say why wouldn't they have above average jumping ability? Perhaps they do and perhaps they don't. It depends on what you think the average joe can achieve. The fact that NFL players have higher vertical leaps than NBA players points to few players being at their maximum potential for jumping. It is also believed NFL players are likely to have some wiggle room as they do not put all their energy into training a maximal vertical leap either. Here's a read.
http://www.verticaljumpdevelopment.com/the-highest-vertical-jump-record/

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unsubbed

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What evidence do you have that NFL and NBA players are at their genetic limit for vertical leap? It is not a requirement to make the team. They have to make the cut and that is it! Some may have a desire to jump higher than anybody else and truly be at their limit but I doubt it is the most important skill they must hone for success. You say why wouldn't they have above average jumping ability? Perhaps they do and perhaps they don't. It depends on what you think the average joe can achieve. The fact that NFL players have higher vertical leaps than NBA players points to few players being at their maximum potential for jumping. It is also believed NFL players are likely to have some wiggle room as they do not put all their energy into training a maximal vertical leap either. Here's a read.
http://www.verticaljumpdevelopment.com/the-highest-vertical-jump-record/
If elite athletes where vertical leap, and other explosive measurements like the 40-yard dash and broad jump are extremely scrutinized and can be the difference in millions of dollars in a draft contract aren't at or near their limit, who would be? College and NFL backs do EXTENSIVE weight training as well as technique work for the 2-4 years they're in college (plus time before that in HS), and also while in the league, especially in the off-season.

Of course these genetic freaks of nature, the people running 4.3-4.4 second 40-yard dashes (NFL backs) are at the upper limits of their potential, as well as being on the far end of the genetic curve. Unless you're telling me that we have a substantial amount of people out there who could run a 4.1-4.2 second 40 if they just trained for it. If ANY group of people has favorable genetics for jumping and explosiveness, it stands to reason that it'd be NFL backs. Some people are just born with it; no amount of training will take your average person and make them run a 4.3 second 40. These same people running 4.3-4.4 are the ones jumping 40"+, and not even all of them are doing it. Sensabaugh, who holds the vertical record of 46" ran a sub 4.5 40. No amount of "hard training" without being a genetically gifted athlete gets you there; he's genetically gifted, as is ANYONE running a sub 4.5 40 or jumping 40+ inches.

YOU are the one making the claim that the majority of people can achieve a 40" vertical; the burden of proof is on YOU to support this claim. You have literally given no good reason why this is achievable or believable besides "why isn't it?" or "why can't they?" That's not proof; that's not even an argument.

I provided you with extensive evidence, that literally no group/sport, or even any subgroup (position) has an average vertical CLOSE to 40", and these are elite, highly trained athletes. If they aren't doing it, it stands to reason that the average person can't even approach this.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I HAVE A BELLY BUTTON
I wish i still had mine :/. After open surgery the skin/scar that grew back must of forgot there was one there. Now its just like indented skin lol

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Tell me about it
Did you expect it to come back the same as scar tissue? Or were you expecting it to end up like that? I dont know what i wouldve thought about it if i had a surgery right there

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Burden of proof on me? I am not claiming 40" as an absolute or factual figure so I do not need to prove anything. I've provided reason for my guess! Based on a calculator which has proven accurate for myself and others who have used it and ofcourse existing maximums in the neighborhood of 46". I don't believe a jack of all trades is a master at any one. That is plenty for opinion on the matter. It sounds like you were quick to assume I was making an absolute statement which I wasn't. This is as much as I care to get into it to be honest. Perhaps someone else has a greater interest in sharing further reason for opinion on maximum vertical leap. If not. well...I also have a belly button.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
Did you expect it to come back the same as scar tissue? Or were you expecting it to end up like that? I dont know what i wouldve thought about it if i had a surgery right there
Tbh i knew it was gonna end up fcked up. I went to get my appendix out laproscopicly. 3 cuts that were literally 2 cm each. 5 days later i got sick and went back. Either i got knicked on the way out or it wasnt sealed properly. This time they cut 8 inches from top of belly button down. Stomach filled with blood, went septic. 17 inches of my small intestine got removed from getting infected. Pretty much almost died i was told. Was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Went in at 193 lbs came out 155lbs. No food for 10 days.

Reactions: dds

franks009

Awards
  • Established
And im 28 years old so i have my whole life to live with this **** lol. I also had 2 drains for a month after i got sent home. One coming outta my stomach and one outta my right buttcheek because i developed absesses. Worst experience ever

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
And im 28 years old so i have my whole life to live with this **** lol. I also had 2 drains for a month after i got sent home. One coming outta my stomach and one outta my right buttcheek because i developed absesses. Worst experience ever
Dang dude. Thats freakin crazy. At least you're alive.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Tbh i knew it was gonna end up fcked up. I went to get my appendix out laproscopicly. 3 cuts that were literally 2 cm each. 5 days later i got sick and went back. Either i got knicked on the way out or it wasnt sealed properly. This time they cut 8 inches from top of belly button down. Stomach filled with blood, went septic. 17 inches of my small intestine got removed from getting infected. Pretty much almost died i was told. Was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Went in at 193 lbs came out 155lbs. No food for 10 days.
U should just tell everyone it's from a knife fight....makes for a better story

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I cut my leg shaving once so bad, it left a scar... I tell everyone it was a snake bite.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You're one of them guys huh?
I was. I bought cheap razors, and wasn't married to ask how to shave right... I figured, I can use the same razor I use on my face... First cut... it literally shaved off my skin fro 4 inches. I just stood there watching myself bleed for a second thinking. That can't be good.

Wait, one of 'those guys'? You mean, wrestlers? lol.