Is anyone here a machinist?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've currently been waiting to go back to college and go into the sleep study technologist program, but after reading about it and looking into it, searching forums online; the jobs just aren't there. Plus, I would most likely have to work in the north east where I live and I hate most of the north east and want to move. So, I started looking at trade school jobs and machinist has piqued my interest, specifically CNC machinist. There seems to be about ten times more machinist jobs out there than many medical jobs.

Bman1970

Awards
I have worked as a sleep technologist for the past 24 years and the market is fading for full time work you work mainly midnights in a hospital setting and clinics are mostly home testing trade work is a great choice but try and specialize in something like automotive and money won’t be a problem.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have worked as a sleep technologist for the past 24 years and the market is fading for full time work you work mainly midnights in a hospital setting and clinics are mostly home testing trade work is a great choice but try and specialize in something like automotive and money won’t be a problem.
Thank you for helping save me from a mistake lol.

Bman1970

Awards
I don’t think it was a mistake but probably not what your looking for in a career if you don’t mind traveling there are always jobs for for a traveling technologist but there is no retirement and in many cases no health benefits the down side for me and working in the trades is factory life for 20 plus years I am in a great place in my career and take great satisfaction that I have helped so many people but it’s not for everyone and I couldn’t imagine just starting out now.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t think it was a mistake but probably not what your looking for in a career if you don’t mind traveling there are always jobs for for a traveling technologist but there is no retirement and in many cases no health benefits the down side for me and working in the trades is factory life for 20 plus years I am in a great place in my career and take great satisfaction that I have helped so many people but it’s not for everyone and I couldn’t imagine just starting out now.
No, I'd honestly hate traveling a lot at least if it was work related. Another reason I decided to not pursue it is, it seems like most of the sleep study jobs are in the north east where I am, but I HATE most of the north east and want to move away ASAP.

Bman1970

Awards
There are a lot of sleep jobs in the Southwest like Texas and New Mexico I had a job offer in Texas a year ago I don’t blame you for wanting a change of scenery I have lived in the Midwest my whole life but when I retire I will head south in the winter

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are a lot of sleep jobs in the Southwest like Texas and New Mexico I had a job offer in Texas a year ago I don’t blame you for wanting a change of scenery I have lived in the Midwest my whole life but when I retire I will head south in the winter
Yeah, but see I want to move to a cold state with nice scenery, like Montana or one of the Dakotas. If I wasn't sensitive to the heat, I'd aim to move to Arizona.

Bman1970

Awards
Well good luck with whatever you decide if you have any questions I can answer feel free to message me I will be glad to help.

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some of my friends are machinists. CNC is a good place to start, but then get into design work. My good friend, his title is Sr. Model Maker, he makes 3 times the money that a CNC operator makes. But it takes time.

He's the type where they give him a block of aluminum,and the finished product is a medical device/instrument. Has patents, etc. So there is a potential to do very well in that field. He has his own shop now,and everyone comes to him, so he does very well. The CNC guys are still there, 20 years later, just standing by their machines looking miserable. Its what you make of it...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now days any job where you work with your hands, ie. Machinist, Mechanic, Plumber, Electrician are in demand and in the near future will be Very Good Paying Jobs!!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some of my friends are machinists. CNC is a good place to start, but then get into design work. My good friend, his title is Sr. Model Maker, he makes 3 times the money that a CNC operator makes. But it takes time.

He's the type where they give him a block of aluminum,and the finished product is a medical device/instrument. Has patents, etc. So there is a potential to do very well in that field. He has his own shop now,and everyone comes to him, so he does very well. The CNC guys are still there, 20 years later, just standing by their machines looking miserable. Its what you make of it...
The only thing I worry about with that is, I'm not very artsy. I can't draw to save my life. I don't think that matter TOO much with machinist jobs, but with CNC I know they use a program similar to CAD and with anything with design, I'd be concerned with that.

mjsmech

Awards
I agree with Power-Lift.Work your way up a tool and die maker. I was fortunate enough to work with two of the best plus an old school welder. CNC is great for job shops . But a true machinist is highly respected and sought after. Rocket is dead on also My wife was teaching high school and the shop teacher used to tell her that nobody wants to work with their hands anymore. Go for it.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Machinists, welders, and skilled tradesmen are one of the most highly sought after professional categories... I'm a manufacturing process consultant for a living and travel all over the country and world helping factories and one of the biggest issues every one of them has is backfilling all the retiring workers.

There is such a ridiculous shortage of skilled trade workers that you could work anywhere you want with that skillset. Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough if you want both job security and guaranteed good pay.

rgenestr

rgenestr

Awards
Get into CAD design/ CNC can't go wrong im a welder and a automation welding operator. theres tons of work in this field

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get into CAD design/ CNC can't go wrong im a welder and a automation welding operator. theres tons of work in this field
About welding, I know you obviously have to wear a mask. The only reason I'm a little concerned with that is, I have allergies and tend to breathe heavier, especially during allergy season. I was wondering if you have to breathe heavier when you use a mask. I heard some guys can pump oxygen in their mask though.

rgenestr

rgenestr

Awards
You can buy that type of mask most jobs require you to use respirators which you wanna do anyway for health but I have bad allergies too and if you have a respirator it helps ten fold and your not shooting as many black snots in the shower

rgenestr

rgenestr

Awards
About welding, I know you obviously have to wear a mask. The only reason I'm a little concerned with that is, I have allergies and tend to breathe heavier, especially during allergy season. I was wondering if you have to breathe heavier when you use a mask. I heard some guys can pump oxygen in their mask though.
And also I’d wait till your established and have the funds for a air hood because they’re quite expensive unless you can find a good deal but that’s not somewhere you wanna be cheap your hood/mask is your bread and butter especially if you go air style

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I've been thinking about it a lot and I want to be a welder over a machinist. I think I'll like it better and looking at the videos on welding, it actually looks fun. The only reason I'd really lean towards machinist, is because of the potential of toxic fumes, although I have been looking at videos on PAPRs and they eliminate the fumes, at least mostly. Admittedly I have very strong OCD and anxiety, so my mind will think like "Well what if that >1% of fumes that might get through and messed me up over time." and stuff like that, so I usually need A LOT of assurance with thing, so I'm looking more into PAPRs at the moment.

mjsmech

Awards
No doubt about welding producing fumes that are potentially hazardous to your health. I'm 61 years old and been welding and machining 40 plus years. Today's fume extraction and respirator protection eliminates almost all of the risks. Machining though is much easier on the lungs even though some cutting oils can put off some fumes. As Booneman said trades are becoming harder to fill. Right now I'm working for a foods and flavors company with a small maint shop and all of us are over 59 with no young blood knocking at the doors. Try them both out and see which one is a better fit for you or better yet get good at both and be able to name your salary and stay in demand.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good advice mjsmech

PDG

PDG

Awards
If you want to stay in the medical field you might want to look at biomedical engineering technician.
Plenty of jobs all over.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want to stay in the medical field you might want to look at biomedical engineering technician.
Plenty of jobs all over.
I'm approaching 30, so I've given up on the medical field. I want to get to work as soon as possible, not wait more years to start workign in a career.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking at the "PAPR" welding setup again. I saw a review where the guy said he used it when he had to weld and work around lead particles and he used it 12 hour work days and no issues at all. You can even put a valve in there that'll cool the air flow like a mini ac unit on your head lol. $1,600 but well worth it.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys, about welding; my cousin told me the welders he talked to said when you weld you have to not look directly at what you're welding? Is that the case even with the newer welding helmet? I care about my eye sight, obviously.

mjsmech

Awards
I,m sure what they meant was that you need to wear quality eye protection of the proper shade for the type of welding process you're doing. If you want to be successful you HAVE to pay close attention to the "puddle" of molten metal and be able to follow the joint. Look up Welding Tips and Tricks on the web. He does some really good instructional videos of actual welding in laymen's terms. Also start looking around for an apprentice program. But for now don't worry about the self contained breathing hoods. Just get a good name auto darkening and a 3-M welding respirator with replaceable elements ( $20.00 bucks for it and a decent hood for about $150.00 )

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I,m sure what they meant was that you need to wear quality eye protection of the proper shade for the type of welding process you're doing. If you want to be successful you HAVE to pay close attention to the "puddle" of molten metal and be able to follow the joint. Look up Welding Tips and Tricks on the web. He does some really good instructional videos of actual welding in laymen's terms. Also start looking around for an apprentice program. But for now don't worry about the self contained breathing hoods. Just get a good name auto darkening and a 3-M welding respirator with replaceable elements ( $20.00 bucks for it and a decent hood for about $150.00 )
Very Good Advice !!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, that's what I thought, but him and my one friend was telling me even with the helmets it's like that, which made no sense to me at all, unless they're both talking to old retired welders that welded decades ago and that might make sense. Thanks

mjsmech

Awards
WELL, I'm 61 yrs old and been welding 40 plus of them. Had my own fab shop for a while. Eyesight is still pretty good and pass my respiratory evaluations yearly. The key is the right shade of protection between 9 and 13. Make no mistake about it, you need to pay very close attention to the puddle, especially when stick welding or MIG welding with flux core.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
WELL, I'm 61 yrs old and been welding 40 plus of them. Had my own fab shop for a while. Eyesight is still pretty good and pass my respiratory evaluations yearly. The key is the right shade of protection between 9 and 13. Make no mistake about it, you need to pay very close attention to the puddle, especially when stick welding or MIG welding with flux core.
Nothing like the advice of a Pro !!

mjsmech

Awards
Thanks but not sure how much of a pro I am. Just passionate about my profession that has provided a decent living with good benefits for my family. Hpe my input helps Shiznown in his search.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks but not sure how much of a pro I am. Just passionate about my profession that has provided a decent living with good benefits for my family. Hpe my input helps Shiznown in his search.
Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated, I'm calling college about the program this week. I guess I'll have to buy my own respirator, which is fine. The program lists provided materials for the class, but doesn't list a respirator. Is auto dark the norm? Do you think their helmets would be good enough, or should I buy my own for class?

mjsmech

Awards
Get your own, self darkening at Amazon-$70.00 first one listed -good choice not junk. Same with respirator-3-M Half Facepiece reusable different sizes, $18.00 (it's what I've been using for quite awhile). This way you have two of the most valuable personal protection devices that you'll need and don,t have to worry about other guys messing them up. Keep the hood in a protective bag when not in use. If the hood is more than you want to spend, you can shop around but remember what you're protecting. I got my wife a Harbor Freight one that has the shade adjustment on a dial on the outside and every time I lift it the shade changes. PIA and only saved about 20 bucks. Or just take a couple classes first to see how you like it. Good luck, Hope you get as into it as I did when I was still just a kid!. Any questions don't hesitate.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get your own, self darkening at Amazon-$70.00 first one listed -good choice not junk. Same with respirator-3-M Half Facepiece reusable different sizes, $18.00 (it's what I've been using for quite awhile). This way you have two of the most valuable personal protection devices that you'll need and don,t have to worry about other guys messing them up. Keep the hood in a protective bag when not in use. If the hood is more than you want to spend, you can shop around but remember what you're protecting. I got my wife a Harbor Freight one that has the shade adjustment on a dial on the outside and every time I lift it the shade changes. PIA and only saved about 20 bucks. Or just take a couple classes first to see how you like it. Good luck, Hope you get as into it as I did when I was still just a kid!. Any questions don't hesitate.
Thanks! I just wish I got into it 9-10 years ago and not when now when I'm approaching 30 lol. Better late then never I guess lol.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
About the respirator, 3m is the best? I've only seen 3m and Miller and on amazon, it looks like it's easier to find Miller filters. The 3m setup is confusing, because they have like 6 different ones with filters that are for and not for welding.

mjsmech

Awards
3-M #6391 face piece, #2091 replaceable filter-Pink color. Readily available replacements Got my first one at my local welding supply dealer 15-20 yrs ago. Ample protection for now and not a huge investment. When you get into a production type environment you can always upgrade. No sense in spending a fortune until you know this is gonna be something you're gonna stay with. If so you'll want to invest in gloves, leather welding jacket, etc. I hope I didn't give you the impression that the respirator was one of those throw away paper ones

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3-M #6391 face piece, #2091 replaceable filter-Pink color. Readily available replacements Got my first one at my local welding supply dealer 15-20 yrs ago. Ample protection for now and not a huge investment. When you get into a production type environment you can always upgrade. No sense in spending a fortune until you know this is gonna be something you're gonna stay with. If so you'll want to invest in gloves, leather welding jacket, etc. I hope I didn't give you the impression that the respirator was one of those throw away paper ones
You didn't. I was thinking of getting the 2297 filters instead, since I have allergies and my nose sometimes likes to block up and apparently those filters are easier with breathing. I've been looking on amazon.

mjsmech

Awards
That's OK, whatever works best for you. Keep in mind also that right now you just need something inexpensive but effective until you really get into a everyday for 8 hr situation. Good luck

mjsmech

Awards
Forgot to mention one key element you should know- pretty good chance that any school facility will more than likely have a "down draft" welding table. This is where there is a point of use fume extraction system set up below the welding surface that draws fumes and particles down and away from you. Or at least a welding station with some type of exhaust drawing across to the back or side away from you. That is probably why they are not listing a respirator in required equipment. By all means CYA for your allergies but the nasty by-products are being mostly taken out of the picture. Any big welding shop will also have the same sort of equipment. Focus quality eye protection. Oh yea- some tough long sleeve work shirts. Had one kid fresh out of vo tech who wanted to work for me when I had my business who showed up in sneakers, shorts, and no socks. Need I say more?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Forgot to mention one key element you should know- pretty good chance that any school facility will more than likely have a "down draft" welding table. This is where there is a point of use fume extraction system set up below the welding surface that draws fumes and particles down and away from you. Or at least a welding station with some type of exhaust drawing across to the back or side away from you. That is probably why they are not listing a respirator in required equipment. By all means CYA for your allergies but the nasty by-products are being mostly taken out of the picture. Any big welding shop will also have the same sort of equipment. Focus quality eye protection. Oh yea- some tough long sleeve work shirts. Had one kid fresh out of vo tech who wanted to work for me when I had my business who showed up in sneakers, shorts, and no socks. Need I say more?
Yeah they have a dress code. The only thing that sucks is, because of my super wide flat feet, getting work boots that fit is going to be hard.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Kids !!

mjsmech

Awards
LMFAO Yea but sometimes wish I still was one instead of not realizing I'm not after it's too late! Oh well.