Does a degree really matter anymore?

Page 22 of 22 First ... 202122
  1. Does a degree really matter anymore?

I got my books the other day and they came out to almost $500 (Iím still missing one but my professor said itís free online). I also bought a nice rolling briefcase (originally $450) for $100. I figured it should last me for a long time.

And... we got swore in to law school last night!!!!
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

2. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I got my books the other day and they came out to almost $500 (I’m still missing one but my professor said it’s free online). I also bought a nice rolling briefcase (originally $450) for $100. I figured it should last me for a long time.

Awesome news! But yeah, books can add up very fast.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I got my books the other day and they came out to almost $500 (I’m still missing one but my professor said it’s free online). I also bought a nice rolling briefcase (originally $450) for $100. I figured it should last me for a long time.

Just remembered...it's an investment in your future.....

4. I havenít trained in 2 weeks and my diet I horrible. I donít even know where or how to fit in time! After one class is finished, I have to work on another class!

I was thinking about training after class (8:30pm) but Iím so exhausted by then. I donít even know what to do any more....
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

5. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I haven’t trained in 2 weeks and my diet I horrible. I don’t even know where or how to fit in time! After one class is finished, I have to work on another class!

I was thinking about training after class (8:30pm) but I’m so exhausted by then. I don’t even know what to do any more....
    Have a friend record lectures and just skip class and listen to them at the gym. Lol

I'm in the same situation, I don't even have a gym membership right now. I have all night classes so I figured it would be a good idea to work my last year. Now I have zero time for anything lol

My plan is to go once on Saturday or Sunday and one to two more times during the week for 30-45 minutes and just make it short and sweet.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    Have a friend record lectures and just skip class and listen to them at the gym. Lol

I'm in the same situation, I don't even have a gym membership right now. I have all night classes so I figured it would be a good idea to work my last year. Now I have zero time for anything lol

My plan is to go once on Saturday or Sunday and one to two more times during the week for 30-45 minutes and just make it short and sweet.
    Lol, it feels kinda good knowing Iím not alone. I was thinking the same thing but I end up sleeping all weekend. Iím such a bum!

How many units are you taking? I was going to take 12 next semester, but that might be over doing it as Iím taking 6 right now and struggling.

And... I just woke up from my second nap! Iím such a dork! I slept all weekend and have homework due tonight.

7. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Lol, it feels kinda good knowing I’m not alone. I was thinking the same thing but I end up sleeping all weekend. I’m such a bum!

How many units are you taking? I was going to take 12 next semester, but that might be over doing it as I’m taking 6 right now and struggling.

And... I just woke up from my second nap! I’m such a dork! I slept all weekend and have homework due tonight.
    I'm taking 15 right now and working about 30 hours a week, but work is 40-60 minute drive each way, depending on traffic.

My first semester at a real university, I probably slept 15 hours a day with all the naps I was taking, and I was only taking 15 hours and not working at all. Lol it took me a while to get used to it for some reason. I rarely ever nap now, but I sleep in super late on weekends!

8. I just started a class to re-cert as a Sports Nutritionist. I have 16 weeks to complete along with a full time job. But I know I can rock it
    Redcon1 Teir Operator

9. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I am in a situation where I have a degree in Accounting but my experience is not long enough (4 years), so I am put into this entry level position where I am competing with those who have experience but no degree. I understand that I have to work my way up, but why does a company ask for your degree if they are not going to pay you for having one?

It makes me question if I want to continue my education. I donít want to be in debt just to find a job making less than what my tuition cost me. I donít know, Iím in a rut.

Also, my coworker questioned me about my degree. She didnít believe I had one because she wanted to take the same classes I had taken and asked me to show her my courses online. Surprisingly, the site was down that day and I told her that I would get it for her later. A few days later she told my boss that I did not have my degree and no experience. My boss took her words and I was let go without any questions. I just said thank you and packed my stuff and left. And this is why I am asking this question. Does it really matter anymore?
    Experience you can lie about as long as you have at least one year under your belt so you know what ur doing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Lol, it feels kinda good knowing Iím not alone. I was thinking the same thing but I end up sleeping all weekend. Iím such a bum!

How many units are you taking? I was going to take 12 next semester, but that might be over doing it as Iím taking 6 right now and struggling.

And... I just woke up from my second nap! Iím such a dork! I slept all weekend and have homework due tonight.
    Donít rush the classes if you feel overwhelmed. Get your schedule down, get an understanding of where your struggling with the material and spend more time in those areas of the text. Once you feel more confident in what your studying then get your gym schedule worked out. I hardly worked out in college but I was on the basketball court daily and running while in ROTC, handling a full course schedule. I took all my classes in the morning and by noon was done. I had friends asking me how I had so much time to do what I wanted. Well no car, no job, walked everywhere and rested while studying and took naps while watching cartoons mid afternoon. Lame, maybe but I walked away with my degree. Most companies today may not pay what your worth but that doesnít mean once employed you donít keep actively looking until you find one that will. People get unhappy and retire daily. Sometimes it just takes the right time and day for the opportunity to come and you have to execute without hesitation and no fear. My current and last two employers asked for copies of my degrees before hiring me and the years of being underpaid paid off 20 years later in my current situation. I look back on those 20 years and wonder how the duck I survived because it was not easy by any means. One thing no one can take from you are those papers whether they believe you or not. To avoid confusion once you want your degree you can build a linked in account and place that degree in your name title and build your work history. You can even do it now so that employers can begin to tag you based on what your going to school for. Then you donít have to prove anything. Also take a picture with you holding it. Add it to your IG and Facebook account. See then you can just pull it up from your albums. People donít question **** when it comes to mine. Besides it may not even land you a job in your field. Mine was BSBA Economics & MBA BUSINESS ADMIN. I have worked several jobs to include Medical Tech, Fracking & Drilling Supervisor {2 jobs same company, 8 years}, Dual Fire Power Plant and now Nitrogen Plant Supervisor {Oversee 3}.

The degree says your not a push over, intelligent and can handle any workload and manage your time wisely. The cost is determined by the school you choose! You donít have to go to school but in my case I did and itís over! Good luck. Not bragging by no means just trying to help you understand to keep going and youíll do well, no matter what anyone says or thinks about you.
    Lets Say you do everything that you are supposed to do. You check all the boxes. You Believe, you prepare, you work, you fight, and you know your why, and Life still catches you on your blindside..... Just remember Failure Is Never Final !!!!

11. How are things going @puccah8808 ?

12. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    How are things going @puccah8808 ?
    Law school is hard as hell with weekly mental break downs but Iím hanging in there.

Iím finally back at the gym as well, going around 3:30 in the morning or during lunch (lol, I have 3 gym memberships now) and down about 23 lbs. I have about 20 more to go.

My life revolves around studying, work, gym, and taking care of my family. Once in a while Iíll fit in a vacation. Might go back to Hawaii in May.

13. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Law school is hard as hell with weekly mental break downs but I’m hanging in there.

I’m finally back at the gym as well, going around 3:30 in the morning or during lunch (lol, I have 3 gym memberships now) and down about 23 lbs. I have about 20 more to go.

My life revolves around studying, work, gym, and taking care of my family. Once in a while I’ll fit in a vacation. Might go back to Hawaii in May.
    Glad to hear you're sticking with it. What year are you?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  14. Does a degree really matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Glad to hear you're sticking with it. What year are you?
    This is my first year. Still navigating on how to prioritize and study better. I got Bs my first semester and felt like a bum but Iím going to keep pushing forward.

The gym has helped with a lot of my anxiety.

15. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    This is my first year. Still navigating on how to prioritize and study better. I got Bs my first semester and felt like a bum but Iím going to keep pushing forward.

The gym has helped with a lot of my anxiety.
    Just remember. There are lawyers and Doctors that have graduated with A's and one that graduated with C's. Doesn't determine how good you are. Matters how much you care, and the work your willing to put in to perfect your craft.
    And the gym does help a ton with stress. After a long, hard, stressful day. I love going just crush the weights and de-stress.
    Redcon1 Teir Operator

16. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Law school is hard as hell with weekly mental break downs but I’m hanging in there.

I’m finally back at the gym as well, going around 3:30 in the morning or during lunch (lol, I have 3 gym memberships now) and down about 23 lbs. I have about 20 more to go.

My life revolves around studying, work, gym, and taking care of my family. Once in a while I’ll fit in a vacation. Might go back to Hawaii in May.
    I can't imagine, my program has been fairly easy and I still can't wait to finally be done with school in a couple months. You definitely deserve a trip!

17. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    Just remember. There are lawyers and Doctors that have graduated with A's and one that graduated with C's. Doesn't determine how good you are. Matters how much you care, and the work your willing to put in to perfect your craft.
    And the gym does help a ton with stress. After a long, hard, stressful day. I love going just crush the weights and de-stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    I can't imagine, my program has been fairly easy and I still can't wait to finally be done with school in a couple months. You definitely deserve a trip!
    Thanks, guys! Iím just excited that Iím able to have a schedule now. Not a good one but everything is falling into place. Ya know, just living the dream! IMG_2721.JPG

18. I used to study in the basement of my library where my friends couldn't find me and there was no cell reception. Your pic with the empty tables in the background reminds me of those days. Keep grinding!

19. Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    I used to study in the basement of my library where my friends couldn't find me and there was no cell reception. Your pic with the empty tables in the background reminds me of those days. Keep grinding!
    Thank you! It was a long night! Iím just glad school is open 24 hours so we can study. I need a place like yours but I would end up taking naps! Thatís why I canít study at home.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  2. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
  4. Does mega- TRN really compair to real tren
    By mercedesdd in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. What does the ban REALLY mean??
    By Chem101 in forum Politics
    Replies: 17