Male to female gym ratio. Why is there such a difference?

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
Have you noticed that there is always (at least at the gyms I have frequented) a higher ratio of men to women in the gym? Why do you think there is such a big difference?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because a woman doesn't have to be in good shape to get a guy, but typically, in our society, a man has to be in good shape to pick up the same girl.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Because many women feel they need to get in shape before they join a gym to get in shape. That and they don't want to be approached every ten minutes by some hormone jacked douchebag.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hormone jacked d bags r hell of a lot better then drunk fks , n yet so many girls go to clubs.... I think a lot of girls r just embarrassed to make mistakes ( improper form) etc.. In front of those sexy beast d bags, ha ha ha...

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Hormone jacked d bags r hell of a lot better then drunk fks , n yet so many girls go to clubs.... I think a lot of girls r just embarrassed to make mistakes ( improper form) etc.. In front of those sexy beast d bags, ha ha ha...
Good point. ;)

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I think a lot of girls r just embarrassed to make mistakes ( improper form) etc.. In front of those sexy beast d bags, ha ha ha...
This is fact... Many of my female clients have admitted this...

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
I think a lot of girls r just embarrassed to make mistakes ( improper form) etc.. In front of those sexy beast d bags, ha ha ha...
I actually hadn't thought about this but it makes sense. I certainly felt this way in the early training days.

It is a hypocritical thing about drunk club guys versus gym guys. Completely agree with you.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Have you noticed that there is always (at least at the gyms I have frequented) a higher ratio of men to women in the gym? Why do you think there is such a big difference?
Not at my schools gym it's pretty even

spinyvegeta

spinyvegeta

Awards
  • Established
I could take a pic but Monday through Friday early in the morning it's 4 to 1 girls at my gym

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
I could take a pic but Monday through Friday early in the morning it's 4 to 1 girls at my gym
early morning mon - fri at 5-6am its 15 -1

the ratio is more 4-1 as it approaches 10 -12 am though

and the women that are at my gym 80% are on the cardio machines or in group jazzercise classes.

spinyvegeta

spinyvegeta

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I'm the only guy in there....lol

bjfun

bjfun

Awards
I usually go at either 8 am or 5 pm, but have been at other times also...........usually there are 20 guys or so and me......occasionally there is another girl, but not often.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I actually hadn't thought about this but it makes sense. I certainly felt this way in the early training days. It is a hypocritical thing about drunk club guys versus gym guys. Completely agree with you.
Well this is news to me! I didn't realize women we're working out to look good while working out for the men lol. I promise you no man who is serious about lifting is even looking at the females

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Women tend to be more self conscious of how they look. If they don't feel comfortable with how they look, they don't want others to see them in gym atire-- not even sweats. So, as mentioned above, most do their Jane Fonda or Hip-hop abs at home in private where there is no embarrassment.

buff.girl

buff.girl

Awards
Lol i must b hella ugly then coz i have never been approached by dbags or anyone in the gym, maybe a few ppl here and there who ask if they can use a bench or something thats in close proximity but i am honestly to focused on my own training to care about wtf anyone else is doing.

Started taking my gf to the gym and she was super shy in the beginning so i def agree women are scared abt not having proper form or coming across like they dont know what they doing.

Personally i find it pretty sad that women shy away from the weight section but hopefully it will start to change soon enough, i had hope when i saw another lady in the weight section, granted she was old enough to be my gran mother but u know its a step...lol

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol i must b hella ugly then coz i have never been approached by dbags or anyone in the gym, maybe a few ppl here and there who ask if they can use a bench or something thats in close proximity but i am honestly to focused on my own training to care about wtf anyone else is doing.

Started taking my gf to the gym and she was super shy in the beginning so i def agree women are scared abt not having proper form or coming across like they dont know what they doing.

Personally i find it pretty sad that women shy away from the weight section but hopefully it will start to change soon enough, i had hope when i saw another lady in the weight section, granted she was old enough to be my gran mother but u know its a step...lol

I thought you didn't have a head? That could be a good reason why you don't get approached. Headless people tend to freak out those with heads!! ;)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
All kidding aside, the M/F ratio at the gym I attend isn't all that out of wack. It varies greatly by the time of day.

Also, there are those guys and girls that use it like a meat market. It is fairly entertaining to watch.

Some of the outfits leave little to the imagination; and I have a hard time (no pun intended) thinking that when body parts are blatently exposed, that it happens by accident.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Here in LA it depends what time of day you go. Mid afternoon its a good ratio, lots of women but also a lot of odd fellows.

Later at night there are less women but at least I won't have to protect my anus in the locker room.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here in LA it depends what time of day you go. Mid afternoon its a good ratio, lots of women but also a lot of odd fellows.

Later at night there are less women but at least I won't have to protect my anus in the locker room.
Anus statement nicely incorporated.

buff.girl

buff.girl

Awards
Agreed, time of day is crucial.

Im South Africa 8am is milf o clock at the gym :-D

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Here in NJ the gyms I've been to have plenty of women just very few that actually use any free weights. I think they are afraid of looking stupid while doing a workout... It's one of the reasons my girlfriend won't lift weights with me unless it is on one of the nautilus machines or something.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Anus statement nicely incorporated.
Hahaha, hey man if you corner me in the locker room, attempting to spark up a conversation while naked, I go on the defensive.

Agreed, time of day is crucial.

Im South Africa 8am is milf o clock at the gym :-D
One more reason for me to visit South Africa!

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here up in Estevan( Canada) there's 6men/ 1woman ratio overall.. But we have a lot of dedicated women in great physique!!! We have a wall with pics at out gym, of all the ppl that competed. Way more girls then guys;)

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
Well this is news to me! I didn't realize women we're working out to look good while working out for the men lol. I promise you no man who is serious about lifting is even looking at the females
I look at men and women. Especially if they have crazy funky bad form going on. Or if I see men lifting lighter than me and struggling with it o_O.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Mirrors gentlemen ;)^^^ jk....
What about the guy who does the blatant over dramatized stare with the wide eyes and creepy smile? You know..the guy who you try really really hard to not make eye contact with? We have at least 3 of those guys at my gym lol

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Women, if I can see the fold in your ass cheek, you know damn well what you're doing and deserve to be approached by mirror-jockey douchebag.
Men, if you walk by the cardio deck every thirty seconds to lift the front of your shirt pretending to wipe your face when in reality you're trying to get the ladies to see your abs, then you also may take a seat at the douchebag smoothie bar.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Mirror jockey d bag??"..that is some funny stuff... This just gets better n better, ha ha ha....but yes, my self I have never had a "cheek", showing at the gym... Just short shorts, ( practicing posing in the yoga room) .. Lmao.....oh ha ha, n I did do the stepper in my 5" heels , ha ha, trying to break my show shoes in, ha ha ha....n yes , the ab showing " use ur shirt to wipe ur face", dudes did comment , ha ha ha....

buff.girl

buff.girl

Awards
People need to learn to look with there eyes and not there whole face...lol

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
People need to learn to look with there eyes and not there whole face...lol
Men make it so damn obvious, like Roger Rabbit ridiculous. Women are much more inconspicuous. I'll have people tell me "man she was checking you out" and I'd be like what, no she wasn't.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about the ones that follow you around the gym acting like they are just doing their routine? I seriously had this girl doing that yesterday! Every time I would finish at one station and move to another, she would moved to one right behind me or beside me. Any time I happened to look up in the mirror, yep you guessed it, she was looking at me. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if she was actually cute or something but I now know how girls feel with the creeper dude! LOL!

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, when it comes to the ratio at the gym, we gotta remember that a lot of ppl have families , so that right there would make an impact.. Women have to plan their day, so usually the morning would b ultimate so between 0800-1000, as for men, some go before work between 0530-0730ish and some shortly after work between 1700-2000ish..... And then students etc.... It's all about timing,lol, it plays a big role on the ratio;)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will be going to a decent enough ratio 2 females to 3 males at a fitness center to terrible ratio of like 100 to 1 haha.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't pay attention to other people at the gym personally. Im in there to get it done.

Heres the deal. A woman can tell guys they need to get in shape and its okay. A man can say the same thing and be an *******. This is accepted gender discrimination.

Generally women think of going to the gym as non feminine. This is also accepted gender discrimination. Unless more female celebrities come out saying the truth and changing culture instead of telling these at home moms and lazy teens about the next no gym fad diet.

Women feel like they need extra acceptance in culture today. Feeling it is their birth right for certain things. Whiney and prissy. Im just glad I found one who has her head on straight. Married her infact.

Bottom line. Lift and eat right if you want to feel and look good. True for both sexs.

I find fit women sexy. I also find bigger girls sexy. It depends on the person.

Little ranty but truth. Im going to a gym owned by a hospital. All the nurses come here. Plenty of females.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The truth it is^^, I my self never worry about the ratio as much as I worry about my results! Lol....

rphash49

Awards
I think most women don't like the weight room environment. Dudes grunting, weights crashing, spotters yelling, etc. While these things give me a weight room boner and pump me up most women want to avoid these things. Case and point: My gym has a small women's only weight room that stays full 24-7. The endless aerobic classes and sea of cardio machines are also dominated by females.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess it depends on the individual.. I couldn't train without a lil grunting, deep breathing, occasional weight slamming, ha ha... It happens.. Anything to get those last reps in!;)

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Because many women feel they need to get in shape before they join a gym to get in shape. That and they don't want to be approached every ten minutes by some hormone jacked douchebag.
Strangely enough, I see it the other way around for women. Some of the biggest, hardest, leanest and most down-to-earth guys are found in my gym (relative to the surrounding metro area) and it seems that the gym has become the new bar scene for women - a place to get picked up/seek more attention.

Think about its practicality.

Potentially wear less clothes or tighter clothes (both men and women)
Lots of in shape people there
Lots of comraderie (at least in my gym)

All that equals a more effective "hook up joint". Seems to be trending to the new bar scene, lol. A place to go meet people and hang out while being productive. Imagine that.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't pay attention to other people at the gym personally. Im in there to get it done.

Heres the deal. A woman can tell guys they need to get in shape and its okay. A man can say the same thing and be an *******. This is accepted gender discrimination.

Generally women think of going to the gym as non feminine. This is also accepted gender discrimination. Unless more female celebrities come out saying the truth and changing culture instead of telling these at home moms and lazy teens about the next no gym fad diet.

Women feel like they need extra acceptance in culture today. Feeling it is their birth right for certain things. Whiney and prissy. Im just glad I found one who has her head on straight. Married her infact.

Bottom line. Lift and eat right if you want to feel and look good. True for both sexs.

I find fit women sexy. I also find bigger girls sexy. It depends on the person.

Little ranty but truth. Im going to a gym owned by a hospital. All the nurses come here. Plenty of females.
Lol, touche. Thats a solid post.