Who owns a gun?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I don't actually. In fact i've been very much against them. And I have very limited knowledge of them. I am interested in buying one for protection...
This kid convinced me I (and everyone) should own one.

Where to buy one for a good price?
What models to consider?

F

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Go to a gun show to get one just research it and you can get a good deal. I personally like Glock mine is not pretty but I can rip the center of a target out at 50 feet. H&K is an outstanding gunmaker also but you will pay. I am buying a Beretta this weekend so I will let you know how i like that one too.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Sigs are my personal favorite. Glok, Kimber, Springfields, & H&Ks are good choices as well.

G

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
If it is just for your house, then just get a cheap 12 gauge shotgun. dont even have to really aim. i have a shotgun and an AK-47.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Gun show... hmm.... Interesting
What to do about pricing...? I read a couple gun magazine websites.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
If it is just for your house, then just get a cheap 12 gauge shotgun. dont even have to really aim. i have a shotgun and an AK-47.
Yep - I was told that on the shotgun is the best house-defense weapon.
I think I want an Uzi / M14 for trips to the grocery store...

* What is the process like to get a firearm - and carry around? (concealed weapon permit) (I'm really in the dark on weapons)

Last edited:
N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
* What is the process like to get a firearm - and carry around? (concealed weapon permit) (I'm really in the dark on weapons)
You should just be able to go down to your town/city hall and pick up a concealed weapons permit. Fill it out and send it in for approval.

G

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
depending on your state - i think concealed takes around 3-6 months to get. rifles and shotguns, you walk out of the store in 15 minutes as long as you dont have a criminal record.

C

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where to start? From the south so I have enough guns to take over Cuba.

I am a hunter so my favorite is my 7mm browning semi-automatic rifle with a 50mm scope, easily deadly at 500 yards, try to do that with your glock :)

I also have a really light browning youth model 20 gauge shotgun I love, deadly on squirrels, ducks, pheasants, doves, etc and easy to cary around (and beautiful). Also to protect your house nothing says fuckoff like a shotgun, you might miss with a pistol or rifle but you will kill someone dead with a scatter gun.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Ironic, I'm looking into buying my first handgun as well.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ironic, I'm looking into buying my first handgun as well.
It's been said already, but for home defense, if that's what you guys are looking for, get a shotgun. Handguns are awesome for shooting and defense on the go, but a lot of states don't let you carry. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night with blurry eyes trying to aim a handgun. A shotgun will tear through anything you point it at without much aiming needed, and it's often said that the sound of just pumping a shell into the chamber is enough to scare the **** out of someone.

I

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another thing to keep in mind is your line of fire - are you in an apartment? Do you have kids or someone else living in the house with you? A magnum will go through drywall easily from what I've heard. I've heard birdshot will not easily penetrate drywall though, but will still take someone down with a clear shot - is this true?

I've got a S&W .40 pistol now, but thinking more about a shotgun, I think it would be safer with kids around.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the discussion bros, keep it coming

C

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You are right, a big 45 handgun would go through a couple walls, birdshot will too but not as much and would loose velocity, some will get stopped, etc. Safer in general.

My grandmother once stopped a robber with a 12-gauge pump action shotgun, she said he got really cooperative when she put a shell in the chamber, that sound sends a big message.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
:thumbsup:
Go to a firing range and shoot a few to see what feel you like.

Nothing quite like killing you dinner.

F

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah shotgun is a good choice for home defense. I woudl use 00 buck though and not bird shot if he is far enough away or turns his back to you down a hall or so you might just piss someone off. However seeing 3 feet of fire fly out of a barrel is quite intimidating. I keep my glock by the bed and the shotgun loaded with 00 right inside the closet door. So if I get woken up with some poor bastard in the room I got 10 chances to hit him with a .40 cal loaded with hydroshocks and if he is loud enogh to wake me up in another part of the house then the shotgun gets broken out.

I got my conceal carry permit about 6 months ago. TN makes you take a class and then you have to apply with the state after that. Took me about 6 weeks and I can carry any weapon and how ever many I want in plane sight or concealed if I choose.

M

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The power of a shotgun cannot be challenged at close range. A pistol pumps out 1 lead slug at one time, a 12 gauge pumps out about 20 lead pellets. One properly placed shotgun blast would probably have more stopping power than emptying an entire pistol magazine. So for home defense, its pretty intimidating.

R

Rock Lee

Awards
I am a hunter so my favorite is my 7mm browning semi-automatic rifle with a 50mm scope, easily deadly at 500 yards, try to do that with your glock :)

I also have a really light browning youth model 20 gauge shotgun I love, deadly on squirrels, ducks, pheasants, doves, etc and easy to cary around (and beautiful). Also to protect your house nothing says fuckoff like a shotgun, you might miss with a pistol or rifle but you will kill someone dead with a scatter gun.
Damn, it must be a real challenge to kill non-moving animals with a 500 yard scope. :rolleyes:

And if you can't hit a person a couple of feet away from you with a handgun, then maybe you should spend a little more time at the shooting range and stop blowing up small animals with your "scatter gun".

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm good with a handgun (infantry school), so of course I own two .40's (one Glock, one HK usp).. I'd like to get a Binelli(sp) tactical shotgun oneday.. ;)

B

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
OO those are big pellets. Might as go with some buck shot slugs I have a Beretta Tekneys
12gauge keep it loaded with nitro steel shot.Then i have acouple other "Toys" that are
stragicly placed around the house!

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I'm good with a handgun (infantry school), so of course I own two .40's (one Glock, one HK usp).. I'd like to get a Binelli(sp) tactical shotgun oneday.. ;)
Is that the tactial 45 usp? You should check out Benelli's new limited edition tactical shotgun. It's the sickest shotgun I've ever seen. I may pick one up for $1500.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
depending on your state - i think concealed takes around 3-6 months to get. rifles and shotguns, you walk out of the store in 15 minutes as long as you dont have a criminal record.
That's insane. It's a right to be able to carry a weapon. I had mine within a week or so. I just had to get the chief of police to sign it.

R

Rock Lee

Awards
Pete, what makes you prefer .40 over other calibers?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is that the tactial 45 usp? You should check out Benelli's new limited edition tactical shotgun. It's the sickest shotgun I've ever seen. I may pick one up for $1500.
Mine is the .40 S&W compact model.. The Glock is the 23 model, compact FBI issue.. ;)

I'll have to move out your way to get my carry permit..

F

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Mine is the .40 S&W compact model.. The Glock is the 23 model, compact FBI issue.. ;)

Mine is a Glock 27. I love it. I am about to buy the Beretta 9000s 9mm I hope it is as reliable as my glock.

NP to answer your question about .40 cal or bigger. I personally carry a weapon of a bigger caliber because it has much more knock down power when compared to a say a 9mm. 9mm rounds travel at a much higher velocity than a 40 or 45 round. What could possibly happen is if you shoot an intruder with a 9mm the rounds could pass right through and never knock them off their feet. This could be a problem if it is some dope head in your house that probably thinks that was real shitty of you to shoot him and still comes after you. A 40 cal on the other hand if you plant one in him it will probably not pass through and all that inertia will be transfered into his body and knock him off his feet. This changes an intruders psyc pretty significantly and he has to think for a second before he gets up. Always need somehting .357 or bigger when you need to neutralize a threat

G

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
That's insane. It's a right to be able to carry a weapon. I had mine within a week or so. I just had to get the chief of police to sign it.
That was when i lived in Long Island(new york).

C

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damn, it must be a real challenge to kill non-moving animals with a 500 yard scope. :rolleyes:

And if you can't hit a person a couple of feet away from you with a handgun, then maybe you should spend a little more time at the shooting range and stop blowing up small animals with your "scatter gun".
I never said non-moving, and never said I could not hit something a few feet away with a handgun. Why are you trolling?

R

Rock Lee

Awards
Unless you have one of those extensions, I don't know how you do it. I wanted to get the G23 or even the G27, but they were both felt too small and awkward in my hand. So I ended up getting the full-sized G22.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
NP to answer your question about .40 cal or bigger. I personally carry a weapon of a bigger caliber because it has much more knock down power when compared to a say a 9mm. 9mm rounds travel at a much higher velocity than a 40 or 45 round. What could possibly happen is if you shoot an intruder with a 9mm the rounds could pass right through and never knock them off their feet. This could be a problem if it is some dope head in your house that probably thinks that was real shitty of you to shoot him and still comes after you. A 40 cal on the other hand if you plant one in him it will probably not pass through and all that inertia will be transfered into his body and knock him off his feet. This changes an intruders psyc pretty significantly and he has to think for a second before he gets up. Always need somehting .357 or bigger when you need to neutralize a threat
:confused: I wasn't aware I asked a question about calibers? :D

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established

It can't be easy living in the repuplic of massachusetts. I've been wanting the H&K tac .45 for a long time now. I'm stuck between picking that up or the new benelli tac m104. The fact that the H&K tac .45 comes with a threaded barrel makes it appealing. :D

Awards
I have a Glock 21 (.45ACP). It has more than enough knockdown power, but the gun requires a large hand to shoot it comfortably. Before you buy a handgun, go to a shooting range and rent one. That way you can find out what gun works best for you. Then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. A gun in the hands of someone that can't shoot is can be worse than being without. It would suck to hit the wrong person. Also, research gun safety FIRST or better yet take a class on it.

If your only reason is home defense get a pump shotgun. They are fairly cheap, require very little accuracy, and the sound of a round being chambered is extremely effective at alerting a burglar that you are armed.

T

tattoopierced1

have a 12ga pump action shotgun looking to put a pistol grip on it and saw it off...however, my first line of home defense is my Dobermans...they are there protecting the homestead whenever I am not 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, plus I can take them in public and people know better to even come close to anyone I am with, you really cant wave a gun around in public. ;)

M

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your only reason is home defense get a pump shotgun. They are fairly cheap, require very little accuracy, and the sound of a round being chambered is extremely effective at alerting a burglar that you are armed.

A shotgun still needs to be aimed carefully. To say it requires very little accuracy is feeding the myth. The average spread for a short barrelled shotgun is about an inch a yard. So at 20ft, its only a 7in spread.

Awards
A shotgun still needs to be aimed carefully. To say it requires very little accuracy is feeding the myth. The average spread for a short barrelled shotgun is about an inch a yard. So at 20ft, its only a 7in spread.
Okay, I guess that I should have been a little clearer...Compared with a pistol, it requires much less accuracy.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
It can't be easy living in the repuplic of massachusetts. I've been wanting the H&K tac .45 for a long time now. I'm stuck between picking that up or the new benelli tac m104. The fact that the H&K tac .45 comes with a threaded barrel makes it appealing.
It's not. My friends Dad wanted to get a shot gun but the town police chief gave him a hard time about it so he ended up no getting one. There was a story in a local paper about a guy who moved here from out of state. He had guns and when to the local police station to see what he needed to do to register. They arrested him and took his guns. They are putting up more and more red tape if you want a gun.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Concord Resident Petitions Supreme Court

Second Amendment Guarantees an
Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Fourteenth Amendment Makes the
Second Amendment Applicable to the States

P R E S S R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release
For more information:
Alec S. Costerus
[email protected]
Click here for .pdf version

CONCORD, MASSACHUSETTS (June 27, 2002) -- Two hundred twenty-seven years ago, British troops advanced on Concord to confiscate their arms. As we know, at the North Bridge, the embattled farmers stood to defend their freedoms and drove the British aggressors back to their fort in Boston.

More than three years ago, Concord Police Officers illegally searched the home of Concord resident Alec S. Costerus and unlawfully seized his firearms. Costerus has battled the injustice ever since. Costerus filed a petition today to the nation's highest court in his bid to have Massachusetts' discretionary gun law declared unconstitutional.

Massachusetts enacted its current gun control law in 1998. Among others, the new law requires firearms owners to obtain a license to carry - even to possess a firearm in the home, where a non-discretionary firearms identification card was formerly required. "Under the current law," Costerus says, "that requires a license in order to exercise constitutionally protected rights, one should not be subject to the standardless discretion of 351 local licensing authorities throughout the state." Ten other states also have similar so-called "may issue" statutes. "Discretionary statutes are subject to the arbitrary interpretation or the capricious abuse of discretion of licensing authorities. Worse, they are ripe for discrimination."

The Costerus v. Swift petition asks the Court to determine whether the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms, and whether the Second Amendment embodies a fundamental right made applicable to the States by the Fourteenth Amendment. Costerus also challenges the state's statute as violating both the 'Due Process' and 'Equal Protection' clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Costerus acknowledges the longshot. "Only 1% of the 7,000+ cases brought to the Supreme Court are ever accepted for review." "But," he adds, "we will all lose our rights if, in the face of this aggression, whether in the form of British guns or a legislative pen, we fail to defend our rights."

If the Court grants certiorari, it will mark the first time that the Supreme Court will take a case based on direct review of the Second Amendment. "There have been other cases that discussed the 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms,' but those cases were brought to the Court primarily on other grounds."

The most recent case involved a Texas case, United States v. Emerson, in which the Fifth Circuit ruled that the Second Amendment confers an individual right. The Supreme Court denied certiorari in the Emerson case allowing the Fifth Circuit ruling to stand. "The First Circuit in my case ruled directly opposite to Emerson, so we have a circuit conflict," Costerus says. "The time is ripe for review."

Representing himself, the former two-time state shooting champion and certified firearms instructor filed a 46-count civil rights suit in October, 2000, in federal court against Concord officers for their illegal search of his home without a warrant and the seizure of his lawfully possessed firearms, in violation of his Fourth Amendment rights. His suit also seeks prospective injunctive relief against the state for enacting a statute that violates the Second, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Concord Police Sued for Taking Gun of Homeowner

Bill Before Legislature Would Address Problem

By Curt Lovelace
June 2001

When Alec Costerus moved back to Massachusetts in March 1999, he heard there was a new law regarding handgun licenses.

So he innocently went to the Concord Police Department to inquire what he needed to do. He still held a Firearms Identification (FID) card which had no expiration date. But instead of being given the information on what to do, Costerus was immediately arrested by Sgt. Barry Neal and put in jail.

The charge was "illegal possession of a firearm" although Costerus didn't have any guns in his possession. Later, Concord officers searched his home and seized two handguns and a competition rifle.

Despite spending a night in jail and having his family frightened by an illegal search of his home, Costerus wanted to forgive and forget. He hoped to clear up the "gigantic misunderstanding." In November, the charges against him were dismissed without a trial.

Filed for a License

Costerus then filed for a license to carry handguns. The response was unexpected. On December 31, 1999, an officer drove up the driveway and hand delivered the chief's letter of denial.

Two reasons were given by Chief Leonard Wetherbee of the Concord Police Department. They were:

"1. Your failure to comply with a Concord Police Department Administrative Policy requiring the completion of a state approved Firearms Safety Course when upgrading from a Firearms Identification Card to a License to Carry.

"2. Your recent involvement in domestic and firearms related issues in the Town of Concord."

Costerus says he's exempt from the necessity to complete a firearms safety course. This exemption comes straight out of the law itself, the Massachusetts Gun Control Act of 1998, which exempts current FID cardholders, he says. His FID card was still valid, he explains, when he applied for his License to Carry. In addition, he is qualified to teach the Firearms Safety Course. He is a former Massachusetts State Champion shooter, a high school and college competitive shooter and has both ROTC and police training.

The only illegal activity regarding Costerus and firearms, he maintains, was on the part of the Town of Concord. The police illegally searched his home and confiscated his weapons without probable cause, he claims. All charges against Costerus were eventually dropped.

On January 3, 2000 Costerus petitioned the Concord District Court to review the denial. In March a judge declared, "While the chief's discretion is certainly broad, it is not unlimited." The judge's ruling contained an order to issue Costerus a license. But Chief Wetherbee countered with a Motion for a Stay of Enforcement. Costerus received no license.

A Federal Case

In August 2000, Costerus filed a civil rights suit in U.S. District Court in Boston against the Town of Concord and the State of Massachusetts. In the 40-count suit, Costerus, who is not an attorney and is representing himself, charged several police officers and the police chief, as well as then-Gov. Paul Cellucci and several state officials, with numerous violations of the Second, Fifth and Fourteenth amendments to the U.S. Constitution. The suit also cites violations of the Declaration of Rights and the Privacy Act of 1974 and it charges conspiracy, fraud, larceny through illegal conversion, negligence, false arrest, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution.

"In a nutshell, this is what I'm looking for," Costerus explained to MassNews. "From the Concord defendants, I want recovery of actual, compensatory and punitive damages. I'm seeking an injunction as well. I want my property back. It was illegally obtaine. It was stolen from my house without due process.

"From the state defendants I am seeking Declaratory Relief, which basically says to the state, 'You were wrong.' I'm also seeking Prospective Relief, in that I'm seeking that all of Chapter 180 be declared unconstitutional in all of the aspects I specifically address."

Costerus believes he is fighting for more than money. He is fighting for the U.S. Constitution. He said, "I deeply regret the time that fighting to preserve our Constitutional rights has diverted from my family and other pursuits. But any right not worth fighting for is not worth having. If I do nothing, then I would not be worthy of exercising those rights, and what kind of example of civic responsibility is that? As long as the egregious acts of the Concord police remain unchallenged, we, all of us, as a lawful society, suffer and share in my doom. And as long as the Commonwealth enacts laws, such as Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998, that strip away rights that are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, then we as a body of citizens must defend our rights."

He believes that licensing gun owners at the discretion of local police chiefs is discriminatory. It can be used as a racist, anti-Semitic or anti-female tool in the hands of an unscrupulous police chief.

A federal judge, Morris E. Lasker, granted a motion by the state last month to dismiss part of the case. According to Costerus, "The judge said I would be entitled to Prospective Injunctive relief, but only when there's a valid, Constitutional claim. He said there is no individual right under the Second Amendment for an individual to keep and bear arms. So the counts of the original complaint were dismissed to the extent that they make Second Amendment claims." Costerus has filed a Notice of Appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit."

First Circuit Will Decide

He considers this dismissal a victory of sorts. He says there is a case in the Fifth Circuit, United States v. Emerson, where Dr. Emerson was charged with possessing a firearm in violation of a federal law while he was under a restraining order. The federal district court judge ruled that the federal statute deprived Emerson of his Second Amendment rights as much as a convicted felon.

The judge, Costerus says, did a very lengthy study of the Second Amendment and how it applies. He ruled that there is under the Second Amendment a guarantee for an individual's right to keep and bear arms and that that federal statute violated that right. "That completely flies in the face of what this judge in Massachusetts just wrote, who by the way spent no time investigating the matter," he argues.

The way Alec Costerus sees it, "Even if I lose in the First Circuit, and Emerson wins in the Fifth, we will have a federal jurisdictional conflict. So at this point it doesn't matter whether I win or lose, if Emerson wins. If we both lose, it would be a different story."

For now, Costerus remains unlicensed and without his firearms, which are being held by the Concord Police Department. He is awaiting a ruling by the First Circuit Court of Appeals. While he has not engaged an attorney for this process, he has amassed large legal bills. Donations can be made to the Alec S. Costerus Legal Fund, P.O. Box 705, Concord, MA 01742-0705.

Both Barry (now Lieutenant) Neal and Chief Leonard Wetherbee of the Concord Police Department were contacted for comment on this case. Barry referred us to Wetherbee, who has not responded.

Bill Before Legislature Would Address Problems

A bill currently before the state legislature would address some of the problems encountered by Alec Costerus. Senate bill 1178 would eliminate the discretionary role of local police chiefs in the issuance of licenses to carry firearms. At a hearing before the Public Safety Committee in March, Rep. George Peterson (R-Grafton), one of the sponsors of the bill, said that this legislation would make Massachusetts a "shall issue" state for firearms licenses. He told the panel that the current system, which leaves all license decisions up to local police chiefs, creates, in essence, 351 different sets of standards. This bill takes away police chief discretion. No determination has been made by the committee as yet.

Senate 1178, in its entirety, reads thusly:

AN ACT RELATIVE TO FIREARM LICENSING.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Paragraph (d) of Section 131 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by striking, in line 4, the words: "may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that" and inserting in place thereof the following words: "shall issue, if."

Clintdogg

Clintdogg

Awards
ive got two shotguns and a 22 rifle... if you want to get a shotgun (which is what i would suggest) i would go with something like a remington 870 HD. The hd stands for home defense and is a little different from the regular. it has an 18" barrel and some of them come with an extended magazine.

If you live near a Dicks sporting goods or a galayns, go in there and check them out. i think you can get one for under 300.

Mossberg makes a nice one too, its all up to you. go there and shoulder each one and see what one feels best.

as for ammo i would use #4.

R

Redspy

Board Supporter
Awards
I have a Glock .40 S&W and it's a great weapon, very rugged and tough. I also purchased a .357sig barrel so I can swap between the two calibers when I want to.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I have a Glock .40 S&W and it's a great weapon, very rugged and tough. I also purchased a .357sig barrel so I can swap between the two calibers when I want to.
The Glock will do that too huh? Nice, my Sig pro does that although I haven't picked up the .40 barrel for it yet.

N

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Deoudes, I would have to say for home defense get a shotgun. Like the others have stated it has a wider shot pattern and easier to hit someone if need be. Concerning the saftey of others living around you, it would also be a good choice due to its lack of penetration. Personally I am a big hunter and trapper, and love guns. One of my favorites is my Browning semi auto 10gauge, its a goose killing unit. Also have a Savage 30-06 and .223, a couple Remington 870 12 gauges, Ruger 10/22, and a Thompson Hawken .50 cal blackpowder rifle like the mountain men used to use. My dad has a couple handguns, they are fun to mess around with and target shoot, I just dont see a whole lot of practicality with them other than target practice and self defense, so I dont bother with them really. The thing that is good about handguns is that they are easy to conceal and manuever in tight spots if someone was to try and jump you on the street or something. Make sure you have your permit if you conceal it. If you get on test and tren, you wont need a gun, you will be superman;). Just playin:D

M

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How come most people seem to be into foreign makes like H&K,glocks,sigs? They cost a pretty bundle too.

R

Redspy

Board Supporter
Awards
The Glock will do that too huh? Nice, my Sig pro does that although I haven't picked up the .40 barrel for it yet.
It's a great feature. .357sig ammo is expensive to use all the time so it's nice to have the ability to swap. I believe you can also run 9mm through it (with a 9mm barrel and mag, obviously).

N

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
You can run .38 ammo through a .357 also.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
How come most people seem to be into foreign makes like H&K,glocks,sigs? They cost a pretty bundle too.
My Sig was made right here in NH USA about 30 minutes from my house. ;)

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
It's a great feature. .357sig ammo is expensive to use all the time so it's nice to have the ability to swap. I believe you can also run 9mm through it (with a 9mm barrel and mag, obviously).
You can run .38 ammo through a .357 also.
I'll be damned and I thought I knew my guns. :D the .357 sig round is expensive as hell to shoot. It's just a fun round to cap off.

N

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Ya, for just plinking around, it is alot cheaper to shoot the .38 rounds in a .357, but if you are sighting in your gun or preparing for a meet/hunt, I would definetly be shooting the bullets that I would be using to get used to them. The .38 rounds are much easier on the ears than the .357 also, should probably get some ear plugs.....

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Deoudes, I would have to say for home defense get a shotgun. Like the others have stated it has a wider shot pattern and easier to hit someone if need be. Concerning the saftey of others living around you, it would also be a good choice due to its lack of penetration. Personally I am a big hunter and trapper, and love guns. One of my favorites is my Browning semi auto 10gauge, its a goose killing unit. Also have a Savage 30-06 and .223, a couple Remington 870 12 gauges, Ruger 10/22, and a Thompson Hawken .50 cal blackpowder rifle like the mountain men used to use. My dad has a couple handguns, they are fun to mess around with and target shoot, I just dont see a whole lot of practicality with them other than target practice and self defense, so I dont bother with them really. The thing that is good about handguns is that they are easy to conceal and manuever in tight spots if someone was to try and jump you on the street or something. Make sure you have your permit if you conceal it. If you get on test and tren, you wont need a gun, you will be superman;). Just playin:D
haha
I need two guns now!