Bodybuilding v. social life

wantmoresize

Awards
It seems I know of no other way to live my life than to work, hit the gym, plan my meals, and sleep...everything I do centers around training-- what does not help is that all my friends moved out of state and got married over the past few years--so the gym is my only social outlet--I don't drink, eat junk food, smoke, do any drugs---I suppose I am straight-edge to a certain extent--anyhow I was hoping to learn of any others who are either in, have been, or see themselves heading towards this type of existence-- maybe I need a support group--thanks--Douglas

size

Awards
  • Established
It is a difficult lifestyle to follow. I recognized that the same scenario was happening to me so I pulled away and have tried to get involved in other things over the past year+. This after being dedicated to training, sleeping, working, and eating for years. However, while pulling away, I have watched myself lose 20+lbs. which is upsetting.

Now, I am at a point where I enjoy my outside life and the additional activities I have participated in which I could/would not do previously. On the other hand, I am distressed when I contemplate how much weight I have lost after putting so much effort in to achieve the gains I made.

Last edited:
stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes, it a balance beam walk...go too far one way and your down, too far the other and your butt hits the ground. But such is everything in life, too much of even a good thing can be detrimental.

Find your social and physical equilibrium and maintain the course...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Here's my life:
Wakeup -> Girlfriend -> School -> Girlfriend -> Homework -> Girlfriend -> Gym -> Girlfriend -> Sleep -> Repeat.

I know where you're coming from... ;) I have no life!!!! I make it out about once every few months.

mrbig

Awards
Yes this game is a life style that some can not handle but when you look in the mirror
you see why you do it.When you see guy's that don't lift and they look 20 years older than they are you see why you do it.So hang in there you are not alone in this game.

wantmoresize

Awards
Yes this game is a life style that some can not handle but when you look in the mirror
you see why you do it.When you see guy's that don't lift and they look 20 years older than they are you see why you do it.So hang in there you are not alone in this game.
I just feel that the people who are out having fun socializing are not too worried about their appearance, it seems America as a whole has moved into the "be fat and be proud" mode of thinking, where junk food is a normal course of daily existence and someone who works out is the anomoly--it is especially tough trying to find a significant other who will put up with a boydbuilder lifestyle--makes it hard to go out to dinner / dessert - and from what I have seen, women hate the fact that I eat healthier than them--weird huh--I guess everyone out there wants to pull everyone around them down to the lowest common denominator

wow-sorry for this rant guys--just been very stressed out lately about life

mrbig

Awards
Just remember why you started this life and what you look like now.There are women out there that enjoy and will help you in your quest for the perfect body.I know I have one
for 20 years now.So just keep looking and do not quit what you have started,I've been doing this for 30 years and when I started there was no groups like this to help or talk too.I'm here for you wantmoresize.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
--it is especially tough trying to find a significant other who will put up with a boydbuilder lifestyle--makes it hard to go out to dinner / dessert - and from what I have seen, women hate the fact that I eat healthier than them--
Yeah I know what you mean. I have dated many girls and most of them are like "you have to go work out" sigh. Or like when we go out I cant go to certian places because they dont have vegetables on the menu or somethign else of the nature. But my fiance now is 110% supportive of bodybuilding she is eager to learn how to cook the meals I need to eat and eager to learn wht brands of food to buy from the grocery store and when I am on she is willing to give it up whenever I need it. Man I love my girl

wantmoresize

Awards
Just remember why you started this life and what you look like now.There are women out there that enjoy and will help you in your quest for the perfect body.I know I have one
for 20 years now.So just keep looking and do not quit what you have started,I've been doing this for 30 years and when I started there was no groups like this to help or talk too.I'm here for you wantmoresize.
I appreciate it-- I thought, when I started lifting in college, that it would better help me with my tennis playing, becoming stronger, however, I soon gave up playing all other sports so I don't drain my energy for my workout--additionally, I know what you mean about social functions with family and the like--it seems I could care less about attending these nowadays and just want to do my own thing, I think that bodybuilding has made me self-centered and somewhat unlikable at times---I wonder if the trade-off for a good body is worth it--especially since in our minds, or, most of our minds here, we have yet to attain a perfection that looms out there like some sort of holy grail

Last edited:

mrbig

Awards
Just stay strong the LADY will come it took alot of looking before she came into my life.
So there is one out there trust me

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Just stay strong the LADY will come it took alot of looking before she came into my life.
So there is one out there trust me
Exactly, my chick loves it :D

Also, think about it this way. Do you want to live a long, happy life? I do. I know when I'm 80 and have more muscle than the average 50 year old, I'll be thanking myself b/c I'm not stuck in a wheelchair. This is for longterm happiness. If it makes you feel good about yourself it's worth it. If it doesn't, it's not. For me, it's something I'll hold onto forever.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Go on a dating show!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Here's my life:
Wakeup -> Girlfriend -> School -> Girlfriend -> Homework -> Girlfriend -> Gym -> Girlfriend -> Sleep -> Repeat.

I know where you're coming from... ;) I have no life!!!! I make it out about once every few months.
Honestly i'd love that. My girl is in New York city and im here so its:
Wakeup -> AnabolicMinds -> Fantasy Football -> School -> Fox News -> Gym -> Sleep -> Rewind tape.

It's hard to go out and bodybuild correctly.

wantmoresize

Awards
Honestly i'd love that. My girl is in New York city and im here so its:
Wakeup -> AnabolicMinds -> Fantasy Football -> School -> Fox News -> Gym -> Sleep -> Rewind tape.

It's hard to go out and bodybuild correctly.
Exactly---my sister goes out about 3 rtimes a week, she doesn't even set foot out the door until 11 or 12 and then not home until 5 or thereabouts--I don't think I would be able to train at all, let alone function normally, with that lifestyle, yet, that seems to be the American way now-->"Get fat, who cares-everybody else is"--- youwould not know how many dates I have had that were either canceled or went down the tubes when they found out I don't drink alcohol--they thought it was "weird", "Socially awkward", etc.---oh well

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I hate 'going-out' to 'go out'.
I'm in college too.
The people who go out (girls and guys) are mostly drunk slobs. Club and bar rats. Theres maybe a handful of decent ones. But the rest are garbage. I meet a decent girl maybe 1 in every 10 times I 'go out'. And I go out maybe 15 times a year.

* What is your reason for not drinking? I only drink maybe 2 handful of times a year.

you're right about the 'get fat' thing. If you take care of yourself you're 'superficial' . Screw that.

Cartman

Awards
You are not alone brutha! In my case I love it. A lot of people don’t understand why we do it and this is the same people who dont know anything about bodybuilding.(Rewarding)I know all the bros here understand what i am talking about.

mrbig

Awards
You just have to remember you are not alone we've all been there.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
That's why I don't mind working the closing shifts at our gym on "party" nights here. I can often find a cute girl or two that's not really into the "get wasted and be a drunk slut" scene and (try to) flirt some with her.
Yah... I've got a reputation for being able to drink, and for a while I was drinking pretty regularly, now people just get a bit wierded out when I tell them I'm not drinking for 3-6 months because I'm trying to loose weight.

ManBeast

JblazeGirlie

Awards
  • Established
Not all girls are like that. There are some that enjoy working out as much as you guys do, who eat healthy, go for runs every morning, trys to hit the gym as much as possible. There are plenty of girls that "go out" and don't drink, they do it for merely the socializing aspect.

Deoudes- that one decent girl you meet may be more than worth the other nine girls that are not worth anything.

ManBeast- you're a liar, you go out more than anyone I know; I hear all of your stories. ;)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
...Deoudes- that one decent girl you meet may be more than worth the other nine girls that are not worth anything....
She's right! (Just remember to get as many of those "not worth it girls" between now and the right girl as possible :D Why...I can't think of the exact word, but I think it starts with a "p"...:think: :)p)

wantmoresize

Awards
I hear what everyone here is saying...but, as we all know, the connection between thought and action can be tenuous when faced with so much rejection in the past

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Rejection, eh? I hate to say it, but when it comes to rejection in the past and your fear of it, there's only one thing you can analyze and rearrange...yourself. I'm no psychologist though, so I'll shut up now ;)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Heh! I never said I don't go out ;) I just said that I don't mind not going out if I am in another situation where I can socialize :D

ManBeast

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Found this at anafreakz. I think it's a different view then what has been taken in this thread. This was posted by colossus he's a member over here as well.

Is he reffering to G-S? Dont know but a good article none the less.

No steroid question here but a brief overview for some members dabbling in the bodybuilding and AAS underworld. Most of you will relate to this message. This article is meant as a warning or a reminder to what we have decided to be involved in.

I read many non-serious or non-committed members thread/posts via board to board. Nothing wrong with experimenting and looking for that extra advantage or breaking that long time barrier we get stuck on. Remind you though, bodybuilding is not something that is easily done or taken lightly. That will be the point of this article. I have read somewhere that a person was going to get out of the game because they usually go hunting several times a year and because of AAS and training. They passed the season for hunting.

I dont see how this can happen but this is the complaint. Some users complain the lifestyle consumes there lives and makes them neglect other priorities. I see members saying "I used to do this, I used to do that", "I cant afford this, cant afford that". I have to ask you reader, when you started training and became involved in the steroid underworld. Did you think bodybuilding was not going to be a piority? If you answer no then you had no business in this game at all.

Let me enlighten some of you readers that decide to grab a taste of the bodybuilding world. Bodybuilding is a religion, lifestyle, and constant daily practice. Day in and day out. Week after week. Month after month. Even if you are that striving natural bodybuilding that would never touch a drop of a steroid. You still have to apply a strict daily regimen of discipline. Every day you count your calories, watch your food, take an extra hour to shop for your food. Train daily at the gym even if your sick. You suck down water like a horse. Force feed yourself to keep up your calorie intake. If you are a steroid user, you spend your last dollar on your gear and no matter how bad it hurts you keep up your mathematical planned out regimen of injections to keep a stable level of hormones in your system with out spikes.

Bodbuilding is a religion. You need to remember that. You want to do it right? It has to consume you. It's not a bad thing. It's a strive for discipline which you can apply to other priorities like your job. Bodybuilding is a good thing. You could be a wife beater, mass murderer, drunk at the corner bar, wasting your life off on a couch flipping channels. Bodybuilding is a motivation. If it's properly conditioned in your lifestyle, bodybuilding is the best motivational religion I can think of. You can use it to inspire you, destress you, make you a better person to your family and friends. Bodybuilding builds confidence where self-esteem used to not exist.

It is a science and that has to be applied to your every single daily routine. If you are not ready for this. If you do not see the practice of it or the benefits of it. You are not meant for it and will never truly committ to it. Many of us members like me have lived it for years. I can not go long periods of time with out working out. I live for the pump. It consumes me and I LIKE IT! I know many of you know what Im talking about. We live it. It is our lives.

I can not stress enough the committment you must make. I can not explain enough what it is or what it takes. You need to decide. So dont whine about it. If you dont like then get out.

Im sure many of you can relate and add your wisdom to this thread. How many of us race off to the gym late at night just to get that 20 minute work out in? Suck down that last protein shake or split the package in half to draw it out till next shopping? It's fanatical but in a good way.

BigChuckles

Awards
You shouldn't feel bad about spending most of your free time on bodybuilding. Lots of athletes spend lots of time on their respective sport. Do you think Michael Jordan would be as good as he was if he hung out all the time. No he took his time and perfected his sport. It's similar for bodybuilders except it can be more involved. When I was a skinny kid and started to look towards bodybuilding to build up my body and self esteem it seemed like something that would fit my personality perfectly. I was a loner and I still am and I'm not ashamed of it. People always say that I'm anti social but that's just how I am. I actually enjoy being alone and concentrating on what I like to do not what society thinks I should do. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you are happy. If you feel that bodybuilding is consuming you too much take a month off and if the sport is meant for you will be longing to come back. :thumbsup:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
what a great subject title! soooo sounds like my life sadly enough.

wantmoresize

Awards
what a great subject title! soooo sounds like my life sadly enough.
I am glad--well not glad for us in the quandary--but glad to know there are others out there that are going through the same thing I am and we can discuss it and maybe figure out ways to enrich our lives and keep training hard

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I am glad--well not glad for us in the quandary--but glad to know there are others out there that are going through the same thing I am and we can discuss it and maybe figure out ways to enrich our lives and keep training hard
haha tell me about it, what i am going to do is just train hard for 8 weeks at a time then take like a 4-6 week break where i train with slightly less volume and only eat enough to maintain, etc.. then hit it hard again. it is honestly the only way i am going to keep my sanity. eating this much food is honestly a full time job and quite friggin annoying.

coofoostu

Awards
I say we all move to venice, california and train in the mornings and lay around all afternoon on the beach just like arnold, franco, draper, and the rest of the golden age bodybuilders.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I say we all move to venice, california and train in the mornings and lay around all afternoon on the beach just like arnold, franco, draper, and the rest of the golden age bodybuilders.
i'm down

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Get joe weilder to write me the check and I'm there.