Frank Zane and Cytomel?

• Thread starter ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
  • Start date
I

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

I was reading one of Big Cats articles about Cytomel and he made a reference to be cautious with its use....as he should. But the thing I find weird is he wrote "remember what happend to Frank Zane". I wanna know what happend. Did he blowout his natural production of T3 from abusing thyroid hormones?

I

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

PS
Why is it that for a lot of my last posts it says that i have only 136 and it never moves up. By now i should have about 150.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Certain sections of the board do not contribute to your post count... Since so many people (falsely) base knowledge on post count... We decided to make the "off topic" areas not count towards your total.

ManBeast

E

Edge

Awards
He took extreme amounts for extended periods and now he has to take thyroid hormones for life because his is shot.

P

PumpingBricks70

Awards
I thought Zane messed himself up with Insulin? :blink:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Nobody has ever produced any evidence that the Frank Zane myth is true. What article or whatever have you ever seen that conclusively proved that Frank Zane has to take thyroid hormones for the rest of his life?

C

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
He took extreme amounts for extended periods and now he has to take thyroid hormones for life because his is shot.
i would highly doubt that. i can dig up medical evidence if you insist that shows people have been on T3 for decades after being falsely diagnosed with hypothyroidism. after the doc discovered the error, he took them off and they resumed natural t3 production/secretion in weeks.

O

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
who cares? look at chasec's avatar. i say it was worth it, permanent thyriod shutdown or not. ZANE WUZ F'IN PEEEEEELED!!!!!!!1one

just kidding, be careful with that stuff.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Have you seen him recently? He looks like he never picked up a weight...

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This pic is about 3 years old or so, but as far as looking like he's never picked up a weight, I'd have to say I disagree, as he looks pretty damn good for somebody his age.

Attachments

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
BigV's probably talking about the shot of him in the January 2005 issue of Muscle and Fitness page 107. He's definitely let his training lag a bit.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's the pic - its funny because Ive seen pics of him from the time period MaxSilver is talking about and he does look great. You really have to see that pic in M&F though, he looks awful. I mean, he looks healthy and everything but just not defined or muscular at all. It sucks because Im definitely a fan of his.

BV

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotcha, I don't think I'd seen pics from that recently. I suppose that's kind of to be expected though, as a guy ages it's gotta be damn hard to keep going in the gym, avoiding injuries, getting slowed down by aches and pains of various sorts, etc. Hell, I'm not even 30 yet and starting to see some signs of aging such as sore joints, etc., let alone when I reach past 60. At the rate I'm going I'll likely be lucky to be walking upright by the time I'm that age, let alone training with any kind of intensity.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
probably stopped running the GH at that point.

ON a side note, there is some older guy (would have to say at least 60) at my gym who i saw in the locker room yesterday...the dude is pretty huge and ripped for someone his age.... was about to ask what he was taking.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
At the rate I'm going I'll likely be lucky to be walking upright by the time I'm that age, let alone training with any kind of intensity.
just make sure you stretch your ham strings..lol

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hell there's plenty of guys walking around in their 60's who look awesome for any age, let alone their age group. I just think its takes a lot more effort, the older you get. Diet becomes even more crucial, you need to work out hard but its easier to overtrain...maybe Zane was using some anabolics at the time those pics were taken?

It wouldnt surprise me - look how good Lou Ferrigno still looks!

BV

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Hell there's plenty of guys walking around in their 60's who look awesome for any age, let alone their age group. I just think its takes a lot more effort, the older you get. Diet becomes even more crucial, you need to work out hard but its easier to overtrain...maybe Zane was using some anabolics at the time those pics were taken?

It wouldnt surprise me - look how good Lou Ferrigno still looks!

BV
I think we can add Dutchman to the list of ripped 60 year olds. The man looks pretty damn good for his age.:hammer:

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would be pretty damn surprised if Zane wasn't on something when those pics were taken. There was one shot in particular where his shoulder development was just insane, to the point where it makes me wonder if the picture was touched up or somehow modified.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro if you've seen those pics in M&F you'd be speechless. When I say he looks like he never picked up a weight I wasnt exaggerating. I think I have it at home somewhere, Ill try to scan it and post it up.

BV

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Bro if you've seen those pics in M&F you'd be speechless. When I say he looks like he never picked up a weight I wasnt exaggerating. I think I have it at home somewhere, Ill try to scan it and post it up.

BV

what was the article that the pic was in? I am wondering why the pic was in it if he looked so bad...try and get it posted, i would like to see it.

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Same here, you definitely got my interest up on that account.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The article was something about Zane's new mental focus and Zen-type stuff, if I remember correctly. I couldnt find any of the pics online - I think I know where the magazine is Ill try to get it up after work. It's got Arnold on the cover, I think.

A

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Nobody has ever produced any evidence that the Frank Zane myth is true. What article or whatever have you ever seen that conclusively proved that Frank Zane has to take thyroid hormones for the rest of his life?
I mean anything could be the cause for what ever ailment he may or may not be suffering. I mean bodybuilders past and present have to deal with unsubstantiate rumors all the time.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
ok..not as bad as i thought, but i can see where the comments came from if comparing that pic to him in the past.

I mean most older guys don't even look like that!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
True, he's in good shape for 60 year old guy. But this is Frank Zane who until a couple years ago was obviously in much better shape. Id like to know what caused the difference. Comapring this pic to the ones from a couple years ago, its like just stopped working out completely.

BV

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I am thinking if he is all into some kind of zen buddhist purity thing, then he might have stopped taking anything..and is relying on buddah to help him increase his natural production...

I can see his new book "Muscles Through Meditation" by Master Frank Zane..

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bringing this back from the dead, but I don't think Zane looks bad at all in that picture for someone his age. Lighting, body position, etc. all majorly changes your look. I can look like crap in one area of the gym, and I stroll to another, and look like an IFBB pro. lol