How often should I do cardio with my current routine?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I've ask about cardio a few times, but I wanted to get an multiple views. I was thinking of doing 15-20 minutes of cardio on my off days. I am getting 2,900-3,000 calories a day and 190-200 grams of protein a day. I weigh 185 lb and I am a little under 5' 11". Here is my routine.

Set 1 - Back and Bis
chinups
Barbell Row or One Arm Rows (2 sets)
Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set)
Set 2 - Chest and Tris

Bench (2 sets)
Inclined DB press (2 sets)
Inclined DB flyes (1 set)
db skull crushers (2 set)
overhead DB extension (1 sets)

Set 3 - Legs

Squats or Front Squats (3 sets)
Stiff leg deadlift (3 set)
leg curls (2 sets)
calf raises (2 sets)
Leg Raises (2 sets)

Set 4 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)
Rear Delt Raise (1 set)
DB Upright row (2 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)

Day 1: back/bi's
Day 2: chest/tri's
Day 3: off
Day 4: 0ff
Day 4: legs
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: off
Day 7: off

3 sets reps 6-8
2 sets reps 8-12
1 set reps 8-12

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
It's really up to you and your goals. You'll lose bf quicker with added cardio as well as improve your cardiovascular health. I do Cardio every day because...I like Cardio.

With the proper resistance rate (Heartrate) you can avoid having to do cardio just by the way you time your exercises and such. Then the extra is more icing on the cake.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It's really up to you and your goals. You'll lose bf quicker with added cardio as well as improve your cardiovascular health. I do Cardio every day because...I like Cardio.

With the proper resistance rate (Heartrate) you can avoid having to do cardio just by the way you time your exercises and such. Then the extra is more icing on the cake.
My goals are gaining muscle mass and going from a size 40 waist to a size 38 maybe 36

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I would ease myself into it if you aren't used to cardio. Start incline walking, increase speed gradually throughout the weeks and you'll be running in no time. Once you see the results you'll keep on chugging...kick back those BCAA's and watch your endurance increase gradually.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I would ease myself into it if you aren't used to cardio. Start incline walking, increase speed gradually throughout the weeks and you'll be running in no time. Once you see the results you'll keep on chugging...kick back those BCAA's and watch your endurance increase gradually.
How many days a week would you recommend and for how long? I was thinking 3 days a week for 20 minutes, but I'm not sure which days would be best. For example I don't know if it would be a good idea to do cardio the day after I do deadlifts or squats. So, I was thinking of doing cardio on the days I don't workout.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
The person I last trained I had him doing cardio after working out...keep fat burning. Sometimes you don't really want to do cardio after legs and stuff.

Just take your time...I usually don't advise cardio on off days because to me it isn't really worth it to go to the gym just for cardio. You'll burn more after a workout, especially if that workout had you sweating and burning cals.

If you are pressed on time look into HIIT training. You can run through a full HIIT session in under 20 minutes and only do it about 3 days a week. You'll be burning fat longer than traditional cardio, but HIIT isn't something you just jump into quickly.

Quick google of "High intensity interval training" will provide you with a plethora of info. I would do it to you but I'm about to go to bed and too lazy right now.

Strive for 3-5 solid days with about 20-30 minutes not counting warmups and cooldowns. Remember to stretch before and after. The first week is the hardest but it gets better once you are used to it. By body composition changes in the 3-5 week range you will be super motivated to keep going and do more. I've seen this happen to a bunch of people.

Good luck bro.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I like to do EASY cardio the day after legs nd stretch for 15 minutes BEFORE my legs completely lock up. Slow walking is about all I can muster but if you can get the legs warm and stretch them out good, the 2 day limp is dramatically reduced.