I lift weights because ...

The Major reasons I lift are:

• Total voters

COLOSSUS

Awards
because...........

i am able to do everyday things a lot easier.
I am a lot better to look at.
IT MAKES ME HAPPY.
helps me have a positive outlook on life.
will keep me healthy (possibly live longer)
keeps me outa trouble

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Because I used to be a skinny beanpole in high school. Now, when I go home on leave, the high school ppl are like "goddamn, what the **** happened to you?"

2 hours in the gym per day
500 grams of protein a day---15 bucks a day
40 grams glutamine, 10 grams creatine--2 bucks a day
various testosterone manipulators--1 buck a day
having arms the size of their head--priceless

comrade

Awards
Because I used to be a skinny beanpole in high school. Now, when I go home on leave, the high school ppl are like "goddamn, what the **** happened to you?"

2 hours in the gym per day
500 grams of protein a day---15 bucks a day
40 grams glutamine, 10 grams creatine--2 bucks a day
various testosterone manipulators--1 buck a day
having arms the size of their head--priceless
that would fall under the vanity option,
thats alot of protein

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i suppose it would. my wife calls it a psychological problem associated with bad high school experiences. hell, i dunno, but that's why i do it.

z0rr0

Awards
Personally, I want to scare people. 0_0

edit: Well...after thinking about it, I just want to be big. Like, walking down the street and people say, 'I dun wanna mess with that dude.' That kinda thing.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, that too. i like that look i get. of course, the bald head and tats help.

JPAFL

Awards
#1THE GIRLS
#2Scaring people- nothing feels better then when people respect you.
#3Health - lost a ton of weight - put on a ton of muscle

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I lift because i was fat ugly and weak, I refuse to be any of those ever again...

ManBeast

comrade

Awards
suprise, suprise, looks like vanity is the leading answer, so far,
in retrospect I could have broken down vanity into subcatagories know that this is probably the main reason anyone gets invovled,

* scarring people
* to look better for myself
* Impressing people
* feeling big

comrade

Awards
arnorld said something to the effect that the pump was the best high

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Other,
I like pain and really making myself sore :D

Just kidding..

GangstaJDog

Banned
Awards
I lift because I've engrained it into my brain and it has become a part of my life. Not lifting would be like not showering, or not eating.

I lift because while every other guy is out drinking his way into being a fatass with a pair of tits, I'll be building the power to put him in his place when he gets too cocky.

I lift because looking in the mirror and being happy with what you see on a constant basis really boosts your self-esteem.

I lift because I remember the feeling I got when I saw that huge sonofabitch walking down the street, and want to spark that feeling in others.

I don't lift because of it, but it does motivate you to keep lifting even harder when girls get wide-eyed when you walk into the room.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I lift for health reasons, the chicks that come along are just a perk.. ;)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I lift for chick reasons, the health that comes along is just a perk.. ;)

Squiboy

Awards
i think it helps put my aggression into something positive instead of me beating some guys face in, and the fact that no one talks **** cause im to damn big.. haha.
also the fact that i will never be skinny ripped handsome guy, so ill just be huge guy that could break you in half. haha

westniles

Awards
How can you say you lift for health if you use androgens? Just a thought...

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How can you say you lift for health if you use androgens? Just a thought...
Androgens can have a therapuetic(sp) effect, in moderate amounts they are healthy.. If not, HRT clinics wouldn't exist.. ;)

Besides, I've been training for almost 14 years, and one real cycle of actual AAS, my appearance and bloodwork say I am indeed healthy..

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
because of the way it feels when I touch myself. :gore: :D

db682

Awards
  • Established
I lift because someday I wanna be like pete. ;)

db

thepizmo

Awards
"Becuase when I get a "pump" it feels like im cumming. So im cumming in the morning, and in the afternoon, and when im walking down the street...its great"

Honestly, the best part of lifting is self satisfaction, and the addictivness of it. When i first started lifting SERIOUSLY i only weighed 155lbs. I was a bitch....NOW, im more than twice the size. Its one of the most rewarding, self gratifying sports, (or hobbies) someone can get into.

Plus, yes...scaring people is great. Honestly, when you have size, no one fucks with you. Just becuase of the way i look, i surpass so much bullshit when when i go out to a bar or at a party. All those people that talked **** to me when i was 155 and NOT lifting wont even look at me now....bitches.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I lift because if I didn't the bar would crush my chest.

Anybody else have a fear of dieing under a bar? I'd hate that because I know SOMEBODY, wife, mother et al would be saying "I just knew this would happen."

I've gone from a skinny yet doughy 155 to a solid 183 in 4 years. I can't imagine not lifting and going back to that size again. Call it bigorexia but I like it!

thepizmo

Awards
i never feared about dying under that bar, but i did see a guys knee blow out when he was squatting 700lbs and that tramatised me...now im scared to put any serious weight on when i squat

Godlike

Awards
Because my wife is a Kung Fu pro and my strength cancels out her speed.
Except for the joint locks "ouch"

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do it because to me it's like a drug,the pump is like cocaine I love it.I get a natural high after a workout....I get a euphoric feeling when im in big and muscular and in shape...I also think the feeling of self confidence is extremly high.....

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I began lifiting cause my pops bought me some weights when I was 15 and because my football coach made us. I kept lifting because it became an addiction. Oh yeah, the chicks are a bonus too.

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
I lift because McDonalds has yet to come out with a low carb Big Mac value meal.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Because I'm shallow and want to look the best I can :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well you're not as pretty as me so lift harder! :)

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Small man's syndrome, as in I was 5'6" 95 lbs. entering high school.
Fat boy syndrome, as in at one point I was 5'8" 195 @38%bf.
Stress relief.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i lift because all the o ther cocksuckers in the gym are trying to make me look small. That i can't allow. I know what their goal really is and there is no way in hell they will make me look small in there. to hell with them and everyone else in the gym. its a conspiracy i tell you. even the girls are out to make me look small. well it wont' happen..screw them and their goal. the only thing that will look small is well...the bigger i get the smaller a man i appear to be when it comes to proportions ;)

serengo

Awards
Other,
I like pain and really making myself sore :D

Just kidding..
Sometimes I do like the pain, it hurts in a good way because I know I hit it right! At least that's what I tell myself as I let out a string of expletives when walkking up/down the stairs after squat day.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i was a 125lb skinny bitch in high school; at 6'1... now i'm 185ish and still want to get bigger; i've got a long way to go

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I lift because I need something to do while "on"

:cool:

h19

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was at first thinking to myself... I don't lift for girls, but then I realized the whole reason I want to do my first "cut" in a few months is because I'm going to aruba and want to look good due to one of the girls that is going with us.

So I'll sell my soul and say that's one of the reasons.

And the part about being big enough to scare people? Just give them some alcohol, and no matter how much bigger you are (I am 6'6, close to 290, though I don't look that heavy) combined with the drunker people are, the more you are a target. A lot of the time, smaller guys (usually shitfaced) want to fight the bigger guys (most of the time, me) because they want to prove a point, or try to make an example. It rarely works, but I see it all the time at my bar.

I also think lifting is a good release of aggression. If it werent for that, and martial arts, I'd probably have been picked up for beating someones face in a while ago. lol.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
yeah..I hear that...my real reasons for lifting are

my family tends to be overweight..I am 5'7" and the heaviest I have been recorded was about 220..this was highschool....I didn't notice how fat I was until I started working out and lost 30 pounds in a few months..then it got addictive..and became my life for a while...then I stopped working out...for a while also...gained some weight and was overall pretty depressed

so now I think if I didn't workout I would be miserable.....I think the real medication for depression should be exercise, and not prozac or any of that other crap they try to sell ..

also its a good release of aggression as mentioned above..my gym took away the heavy bags though so that sux

h19

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ivan, which bar do you work at? I might wanna stop by and pick on yo, er, say hello and grab a Corona! :cool:

:D

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BigPete, I'm head of security at Dockside, down on State street. It's a hole, but it's fun drunk. lol. I'm usually out front, but if not I'll be roaming around inside. If you decide to come down, come on a Saturday, they're usually the best nights. You can't miss me, I'm 6'6 :D

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BigPete, I'm head of security at Dockside, down on State street. It's a hole, but it's fun drunk. lol. I'm usually out front, but if not I'll be roaming around inside. If you decide to come down, come on a Saturday, they're usually the best nights. You can't miss me, I'm 6'6 :D
I might stop by this weekend, it's been awhile since I've been out.. I'll just ask for the lighthouse that runs security.. ;)

This is near Fanueil Hall, yes?