Benoit's doctor gets 10 years

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
NEWNAN, Ga. -- The personal doctor to a professional wrestler who killed himself, his wife and their 7-year-old son was sentenced to 10 years in prison for illegally distributing prescription drugs to patients.

Dr. Phil Astin, 54, was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty Jan. 29 to 175 counts that including illegally distributing prescription drugs.

World Wrestling Entertainment's Chris Benoit killed his family and then himself in 2007 in their suburban Atlanta home. A medical examiner couldn't say whether the steroids Astin prescribed for Benoit played a role in the deaths.

U.S. District Judge Jack Camp said there was no doubt the 54-year-old Astin tried to help hundreds of patients at his western Georgia clinic. But the judge said he could not overlook the fact that two patients died as a result of Astin's misconduct.

Astin pleaded guilty in January to a 175-count federal indictment. He also admitted that prescriptions he issued resulted in the overdose death of a female patient in 2007.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Interesting to hear some thoughts

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
In the end it's the patient that is putting the substance into their body. If they don't care to research or get a second opinion on the matter, then it's totally their fault. I don't get this unless the guy forcefully shoved the **** down their throats.

The Dr was in the wrong for distributing these drugs, no doubt, but the responsibility should not be all on him.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am
A: tired of doctors being able to charge so much money.
B: tired of doctors getting sued or in trouble for everything.

If a doctor operates on someone, the family sues if they die...wtf, doctors can no longer make last minute changes to save a patients life other words the family can sue them....you wonder why they wont prescribe anything to anyone anymore....

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
It's also another reason why finding a good HRT doc is hard to find. They are under too much scrunity and pressure from the gubment. I think docs have to be somewhat responsible for the stuff they prescribe. Alot of things are very addicitive. Not so IMO for steroids, and never proven to be, but you just can't give an endless supply to someone or they will abuse it.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It's also another reason why finding a good HRT doc is hard to find. They are under too much scrunity and pressure from the gubment. I think docs have to be somewhat responsible for the stuff they prescribe. Alot of things are very addicitive. Not so IMO for steroids, and never proven to be, but you just can't give an endless supply to someone or they will abuse it.
no but think about legalized steroid use. With a doctor watching over, prescribing a proper amount you can use for each week(ex. 400-500mg Test) for gains, and do tests before and after. Or at least a clinic that would be able to prescribe them safely to a user, maybe require classes, and offer tests....

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I stand against the Doctor on this one. which is weird for me, cause it is so out of character. but i got to thinking (and yes, it hurt) if the doctor never wrote a script, would C.B. still have found a way to get roids...of course he would have. at that point the Doctor would be in the clear, therefore covering his own ass, which is what he should have done in the first place. i'm not downing HRT for some who really need it, but i think we can all agree that this was not an HRT situation. i say let the dealers do what they do....illegally deal. if you buy something stolen it is the guy who sells it and your fault, if you and someone else engage in illegal activity whose fault is it if you get caught, both parties not just one, everyone involved goes down for it.