Training program recommendation

DavidG

Awards
Brief background info: Girlfriend is looking to get into solid shape. She has always been naturally slim, however the last six months of poor diet and stress have caught up with her and she's put on about 20 lb. She's committed to joining my at the gym and getting her diet on track and while I've been lifting for years I admit I know virtually nothing about what makes up a good training program for a woman. So, here's where I need some of your help...

Diet: Having her eliminate all junk from her diet and focusing on increasing her intake of good fats, eating mostly complex carbs and protein. Willing to take any suggestions here as far as marco breakdowns or other suggestions.

Training: Completely not sure here honestly...I know she needs a good mix of cardio and resistance training. Definitely need some suggestions on setting up a solid workout routine for her. Only problem she has is her knees and lower back occasionally bother her.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Brief background info: Girlfriend is looking to get into solid shape. She has always been naturally slim, however the last six months of poor diet and stress have caught up with her and she's put on about 20 lb. She's committed to joining my at the gym and getting her diet on track and while I've been lifting for years I admit I know virtually nothing about what makes up a good training program for a woman. So, here's where I need some of your help...

Diet: Having her eliminate all junk from her diet and focusing on increasing her intake of good fats, eating mostly complex carbs and protein. Willing to take any suggestions here as far as marco breakdowns or other suggestions.

Training: Completely not sure here honestly...I know she needs a good mix of cardio and resistance training. Definitely need some suggestions on setting up a solid workout routine for her. Only problem she has is her knees and lower back occasionally bother her.
Whether she is male or female makes NO difference in how you would design her a resistance training programme. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN TRAINING A FEMALE THAN IN TRAINING A MALE! THE SAME TRAINING PRINCIPLES APPLY! The only difference is that females generally do not (because they are not strong enough) lift as much as males - they should still be lifting HEAVY for them, though! The ridiculous and completely WRONG mindsets that a huge majority of males AND females have when it comes to women and training are just some of the reasons I have written some of the articles I have.

Read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for comprehensive advice and information on nutrition and training for effective and successful fat loss - apply those principles and she will see results.

In the end, I actually recommend that you get her a trainer who can and will individualize a nutrition plan and training programme specifically for her, especially if she is a newbie to all of this.

~Rosie~