D-Serine Powder

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
NEW AT PROTOTYPE D-Serine Powder

D-Serine Powder

D-Serine is an amino acid that serves as a key regulator in the formation of memories. It is synthesized
in types of brain cells called astrocytes, and its production is essential in the process of long term
potentiation. Long term potentiation is a process wherein neurological pathways are enhanced
in response to certain environmental stimuli – in other words it is the process by which long term
memories are consolidated in the brain.

Administration of D-Serine leads to accumulation of the amino acid in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus.
These are areas of the brain involved in memory consolidation, and D-Serine acts via NMDA receptors
on neurons in these areas. Administration of D-Serine to animals has been demonstrated to enhance
learning and working memory.

Prototype Nutrition's D-Serine powder can be used to optimize the brain's ability to learn and recall complex
functions and may be a valuable asset to students, workers, or anyone who may have to process or
memorize difficult material.

prototype.jpg

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Here are a couple of studies to whet your appetite
Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011 Dec;218(3):461-70. Epub 2011 May 10.[h=1]Effects of low-dose D-serine on recognition and working memory in mice.[/h]Bado P, Madeira C, Vargas-Lopes C, Moulin TC, Wasilewska-Sampaio AP, Maretti L, de Oliveira RV, Amaral OB, Panizzutti R.
[h=3]Source[/h]Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, CCS, sala F1-03, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro 21941-590, Brazil.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]RATIONALE:[/h]D -Serine is an endogenous co-agonist of the N-methyl-D: -aspartate (NMDA) receptor and has been suggested to improve cognitive deficits in schizophrenia.
[h=4]OBJECTIVES:[/h]The present study investigates the effects of treatment with D -serine in mice on tasks that require recognition learning and working memory, two cognitive domains that are impaired in schizophrenia.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]We studied the effects of various regimens of systemic administration of D -serine (50 mg/kg/day) on BALB/c mice performing object recognition, T-maze alternation, and open-field exploration tasks. For the object recognition task, we also contrasted the effects of D -serine and D -cycloserine and investigated whether D -serine could reverse alterations induced by subchronic injections of the NMDA antagonist MK-801. D -Serine levels after injections were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]In the object recognition task, pre-training treatment with D -serine or D -cycloserine significantly enhanced recognition memory 24 h after training. A single administration of D -serine 30 min (but not 6 h) after training produced similar enhancement, suggesting an effect on memory consolidation. Daily treatment with D: -serine enhanced both object recognition and T-maze performance over multiple days and improved short-term memory in MK-801-treated mice. D -Serine treatment did not alter open-field exploration. Behavioral effects were accompanied by increased levels of D -serine in the hippocampus of treated animals.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]Our results show that treatment with D -serine can improve performance in tasks related to recognition learning and working memory, suggesting that this agent can be useful for the treatment of disorders involving declines in these cognitive domains.

PMID:

[h=1]Effect of systemic administration of D-serine on the levels of D- and L-serine in several brain areas and periphery of rat.[/h]Hashimoto A, Chiba S.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Isehara, Kanagawa 259-1143, Japan. [email protected]

[h=3]Erratum in[/h]
  • Eur J Pharmacol. 2004 Oct 19;502(3):273. Chiba, Yukie [corrected to Chiba, Sachie].

[h=3]Abstract[/h]To obtain further insight into the distribution and metabolism of exogenous D-serine, we have investigated the effect of the intraperitoneal administration of D-serine (10 mmol/kg) on the concentrations of D- and L-serine in several brain areas and periphery of infant and adult rats. The administration produced a significant augmentation of the D-serine levels not only in the cortex but also in the hippocampus, striatum, cerebellum and periphery. The rapid decline in the enhanced D-serine levels was observed in the periphery and cerebellum, whereas the injection caused a prolonged elevation of the D-serine levels in the cortex and hippocampus. The application caused a slight increase in the L-serine levels in several brain areas and periphery 3 or 6 h after the injection, whereas a significant decrease in the L-serine concentration was observed in the periphery, diencephalon and cerebellum 3 or 7 days after the injection. Because a structural abnormality and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor hypofunction has been demonstrated in the cortex and hippocampus of schizophrenic subjects, D-serine treatment may offer a new therapeutic approach to diseases related to the hypofunction of NMDA receptors such as schizophrenia.

Nature. 2010 Jan 14;463(7278):232-6.
[h=1]Long-term potentiation depends on release of D-serine from astrocytes.[/h]
Henneberger C, Papouin T, Oliet SH, Rusakov DA.
[h=3]Source[/h]UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, UK.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Long-term potentiation (LTP) of synaptic transmission provides an experimental model for studying mechanisms of memory. The classical form of LTP relies on N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs), and it has been shown that astroglia can regulate their activation through Ca(2+)-dependent release of the NMDAR co-agonist D-serine. Release of D-serine from glia enables LTP in cultures and explains a correlation between glial coverage of synapses and LTP in the supraoptic nucleus. However, increases in Ca(2+) concentration in astroglia can also release other signalling molecules, most prominently glutamate, ATP and tumour necrosis factor-alpha, whereas neurons themselves can synthesize and supply D-serine. Furthermore, loading an astrocyte with exogenous Ca(2+) buffers does not suppress LTP in hippocampal area CA1 (refs 14-16), and the physiological relevance of experiments in cultures or strong exogenous stimuli applied to astrocytes has been questioned. The involvement of glia in LTP induction therefore remains controversial. Here we show that clamping internal Ca(2+) in individual CA1 astrocytes blocks LTP induction at nearby excitatory synapses by decreasing the occupancy of the NMDAR co-agonist sites. This LTP blockade can be reversed by exogenous D-serine or glycine, whereas depletion of D-serine or disruption of exocytosis in an individual astrocyte blocks local LTP. We therefore demonstrate that Ca(2+)-dependent release of D-serine from an astrocyte controls NMDAR-dependent plasticity in many thousands of excitatory synapses nearby.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Started D-Serine Yesterday....will let you know when I start feeling smarter :)

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Truth, do you have any experience with nootropics at all?? Just wondering so you could possibly compare/contrast.
yes quite a bit, I was an avid Piracetam user and a big fan of Aniracetam as well. So I do have some background there

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Truthful and Smart....dude; run for president. U got my vote:)
I would but there is the whole truth or nothing thing....I could never be a politician

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
About 2 weeks of supplementation. I am definitely more focused at work and my mood is very much improved. I suffer from the occasional(in the winter much more than occasional) bout of depression. Its pretty much been sunshine and flowers since I started taking the D-Serine. Not an effect I ever noticed from piracetam of aniracetam. Dreaming has also been vivid or perhaps I am just remembering them now as D-Serine is memory enhancer. Overall very happy with the results thus far.

southsideguy

southsideguy

Awards
  • Established
About 2 weeks of supplementation. I am definitely more focused at work and my mood is very much improved. I suffer from the occasional(in the winter much more than occasional) bout of depression. Its pretty much been sunshine and flowers since I started taking the D-Serine. Not an effect I ever noticed from piracetam of aniracetam. Dreaming has also been vivid or perhaps I am just remembering them now as D-Serine is memory enhancer. Overall very happy with the results thus far.
But are u smarter though? Quick, what's 2+2?

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Definitely gunna be keeping an eye on this stuff
Update, memory is definitely better dreams are amazingly realistic.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Maybe dreams are real life and it's reality that's an illusion?
Or perhaps we're all just plugged into a giant machine like batteries as in the matrix and our dreams are just dreams within a dream

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Or perhaps we're all just plugged into a giant machine like batteries as in the matrix and our dreams are just dreams within a dream
Guess we'll never know! In to follow, and see how you react to D-Serine.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe dreams are real life and it's reality that's an illusion?
Will D-Serine make me feel like I am in the Matrix? If so I am definitely getting some. I want to be able to fight like Neo.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
because reality is fantasy in dreams of reality, which is a fantasy of dreams we can't escape, as it relates to reality.
The correct response was "Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see. Because I'm just poor boy I need no sympathy"

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
price drop
Let me save you the leg work
$
28.99 for 90 grams

cheaper per gram at prototype than the competition ...if we had competition
Sweeeetness, I've wanted to try this stuff, and at that price I think I'm going to call this my birthday present to myself as I'm traveling for training next week, hopefully this will help me retain more of the boring stuff I need to learn. I also have a kid in college struggling with some dry material who could use this right now. Just to double check, this is literally a price drop right? i.e. not a sale?

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Sweeeetness, I've wanted to try this stuff, and at that price I think I'm going to call this my birthday present to myself as I'm traveling for training next week, hopefully this will help me retain more of the boring stuff I need to learn. I also have a kid in college struggling with some dry material who could use this right now. Just to double check, this is literally a price drop right? i.e. not a sale?
I need to order some more, Definitely improved my memory and brightened my mood. I am going through a spat of depression right now and could definitely use a boost.

ICJLM

ICJLM

Awards
  • Established
Fall semester is fast approaching, so I think it's about time I finally try this out. Do you think this would help cram for a test? After all, I was never much of a consistent studier. I always end up saving it for the night before/morning of, but idk if that's gunna fly for much longer.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Fall semester is fast approaching, so I think it's about time I finally try this out. Do you think this would help cram for a test? After all, I was never much of a consistent studier. I always end up saving it for the night before/morning of, but idk if that's gunna fly for much longer.
It certainly couldn't hurt but cramming is never very effective, stretch that studying out over time

ICJLM

ICJLM

Awards
  • Established
It certainly couldn't hurt but cramming is never very effective, stretch that studying out over time
You got that right, cramming is awful. It has just become so routine for me at this point that it is just very challenging to do otherwise. I'm really gunna try to break the habit this year though, cuz I don't think I'm gunna be able to get away with and still do really well like I used to.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
this is the new price, not a temporary sale

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
i hear its good stacked with a racetam

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
i just saw an article about this today or yesterday. unfortunately i cant remember where because i forgot to take my d serine

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
i just saw an article about this today or yesterday. unfortunately i cant remember where because i forgot to take my d serine
My first 2 years in college I was a flat out C student with a 2.0 average. I crammed for exams my last 2.5 years, having the benefit of about 5 years of real world experience I did not cram I read the assignments as assigned. I studied an hour or two the night prior to the exam and never had a test score under a 95. Last two years I had a 4.00 in all subjects. I didn't get any smarter, I just changed my study habits. It is also a lot easier to pass cumulative finals as informations sticks a lot better when you do not cram. I did not have the benefit of Patrick's brain booster back then.

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
My first 2 years in college I was a flat out C student with a 2.0 average. I crammed for exams my last 2.5 years, having the benefit of about 5 years of real world experience I did not cram I read the assignments as assigned. I studied an hour or two the night prior to the exam and never had a test score under a 95. Last two years I had a 4.00 in all subjects. I didn't get any smarter, I just changed my study habits. It is also a lot easier to pass cumulative finals as informations sticks a lot better when you do not cram. I did not have the benefit of Patrick's brain booster back then.
Wait, you mean steady patient perseverance beats procrastination and scrambling at the last second even when you know the deadline way ahead of time?! When I was in the Marines the saying was called "the 6 P's" (Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)... Now if I can just get my kids to really grok that lesson earlier then I did, they'll be virtually guaranteed success in whatever they endeavor.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Wait, you mean steady patient perseverance beats procrastination and scrambling at the last second even when you know the deadline way ahead of time?! When I was in the Marines the saying was called "the 6 P's" (Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)... Now if I can just get my kids to really grok that lesson earlier then I did, they'll be virtually guaranteed success in whatever they endeavor.
I know exactly what you mean, My Gf's 18 year old son is living with us and mostly I just have to shake my head. At 18 I was paying my own way through college by busting my ass in the tobacco fields and working in the copper mill in the summers....I didn't get to sit around and play X-Box and expect that life was going to give me a damn thing. It never has and it never will. Every thing I get out of life I have to squeeze out of it. I grew up poor had a brief glimpse of prosperity and life smacked me in the face and its been an uphill climb ever since. Don't take it wrong, I am not complaining. Everything hard won is more appreciated. Consequently it doesn't take much to make me happy. I lead a Spartan existence and there is nothing wrong with that. Now I ain't saying winning the lottery wouldn't be appealing....though it seems it never really makes the winners happy. I'd be happy with an extra inch on my bi's and minus another 5% body fat

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
I know exactly what you mean, My Gf's 18 year old son is living with us and mostly I just have to shake my head. At 18 I was paying my own way through college by busting my ass in the tobacco fields and working in the copper mill in the summers....I didn't get to sit around and play X-Box and expect that life was going to give me a damn thing. It never has and it never will. Every thing I get out of life I have to squeeze out of it. I grew up poor had a brief glimpse of prosperity and life smacked me in the face and its been an uphill climb ever since. Don't take it wrong, I am not complaining. Everything hard won is more appreciated. Consequently it doesn't take much to make me happy. I lead a Spartan existence and there is nothing wrong with that. Now I ain't saying winning the lottery wouldn't be appealing....though it seems it never really makes the winners happy. I'd be happy with an extra inch on my bi's and minus another 5% body fat
Yea, I know I sound old when I say "Kids these days! They all want everything to land in their lap instead of going out and figuring out how to get what they want."

This quote from Teddy Roosevelt says it well:

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

KingErgogenic

KingErgogenic

Awards
I just ordered some L-Serine to start off with (Gets converted into D-Serine). Looking forward to seeing what sort of effect it has on my very mild anhedonia. What dosage were you using?