Question: Sledge, Bobo, Dr. D, anyone else knowledgable on this subject...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I've got a gym buddy. He's about 48 and is a powerlifter. He is recovering from a pec tear (over a year ago, maybe two years) and wants a little help. I recommended some products, but Prostate Cancer runs in his family and he's worried if he has the smallest malignant tumor that it will grow rapidly from the hormones--which is a valid concern. Now, what he was wondering, was if there are any that would not accelerate that kind of growth so he can take a cycle. As far as he knows he doesn't have any tumor, ATM, but he just wants to be safe.

So, do any of you know of any hormonal substances that absolutely will not accelerate an existing condition? Or is the accelerated tumor growth just an result of the protein synthesis and he's better off staying away from anabolics/androgenics?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
He is better off staying away if it runs in the family.. IMO

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Thx for the input Matthew D ;) I'll probably just have to relay the bad news to him...maybe the new pheremones that are possibly (??) coming out will offer a safe alternative for him.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why doesn't he use natural/no hormonal products? Creatine, HMB.... Some of them can be helpfull for him.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't anything that doesnt convert to DHT be useful:

MOHN
MDien

im sure there are more

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's not necessarily the DHT that triggers and/or accelerates prostate or any other cancers. There's also a related increase in IGF-1 and HGH amongst other things that can increase tumor growth. Some cancers feed directly off testosterone or estrogen such as testicular and breast cancers.

I wouldn't risk it if I were him. He's at an age where he could easily have an undetectable mass..and more than that who wants to lie awake and worry about possibly feeding a tumor? The stress wouldn't be worth it.

Get him on some EFA's and CEE instead.

size

Awards
  • Established
Take beta-sisterol for prostate health and stay away from hormonal substances. While he may be able to use some agents without harm, it is simply not worth the risk.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the responses! I'll probably tell him tonight that he should, as he presumed, stay away from all of the goodies.

For those who asked, he's already on Glutamine and Creatine along with his protein shakes, I'll have to recomend the CEE to him (still haven't tried it myself) and the EFA's sound like a good idea. I'm not sure if he's taking them or not.

Also, would running saw palmetto all the time decrease any existing chance of getting malig. prost. cancer?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Take beta-sisterol for prostate health and stay away from hormonal substances. While he may be able to use some agents without harm, it is simply not worth the risk.
Beta-sisterol, eh?

I'll let him know for sure...thx!

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Beta-sitosterols are present in saw palmetto, but you can find sterols in isolate at higher concentrations also...