What is Your ORAC value?--Hint inside

Your ORAC value will be impressive once you swallow a capsule. I mean the strongest in world.

The new theromogenic's ORAC value is off the sheezy! I have really impressed myself, and I'm unimpressive.

:box:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity?

Why are you talking about my ORAC value? Are you planning on eating me? Should I run and hide somewhere?

How many μmol/dag are we looking at?

Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity?

Why are you talking about my ORAC value? Are you planning on eating me? Should I run and hide somewhere?

How many μmol/dag are we looking at?
Unlike Mike Tyson, I will not eat your babies.

Over 8,000!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

New Superfood?
No Part of our new Thermogenic Plus.

Oxidative stress plays a huge role in T4-T3 conversion and not to mention daily stress and weight management increase oxidative stress.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
No Part of our new Thermogenic Plus.

Oxidative stress plays a huge role in T4-T3 conversion and not to mention daily stress and weight management increase oxidative stress.
I was just over reading more about it in various threads.

Interesting...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's also not forget that FR oxidation propagates. :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not what I was alluding to, but you are correct. Fat is oxidized for energy (which is why you breathe).

When a free radical comes "rams" into another chemical in the body, it destroys said chemical (of function) and produces more free radicals. Free Radicals are like bunnies, they multiply :D Autooxidations and other free radical chain reactions have three stages:
-activiation
-propagation
-termination
Essentially, more and more and more free radicals are formed until something comes to stop it.

In the case of an anti-oxidant, they work sorta like a bodyguard wearing a bullet proof vest. A free radical collides into it, and it's just like "Whatever, little unstably charged punk. Can't break this!"

tattoopierced1

everything USP makes is impressive.. further solidifying my theory that someone somehow made a pact with the devil ;)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Not what I was alluding to, but you are correct. Fat is oxidized for energy (which is why you breathe).

When a free radical comes "rams" into another chemical in the body, it destroys said chemical (of function) and produces more free radicals. Free Radicals are like bunnies, they multiply :D Autooxidations and other free radical chain reactions have three stages:
-activiation
-propagation
-termination
Essentially, more and more and more free radicals are formed until something comes to stop it.

In the case of an anti-oxidant, they work sorta like a bodyguard wearing a bullet proof vest. A free radical collides into it, and it's just like "Whatever, little unstably charged punk. Can't break this!"
You forgot chain transfer - you azzhole!!!

:D

jazzman21

Awards
  • Established
The value for Aronia melanocarpa (chokeberry)has not been included in the chart, which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aronia, has "one of the highest values yet recorded, of 16,100 micromoles of Trolox Eq. per 100 g (Wu et al. 2004)."

Is it higher than this J?

propho

Awards
  • Established
awesome just made the handful of blueberries in my shake taste that much better

The value for Aronia melanocarpa (chokeberry)has not been included in the chart, which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aronia, has "one of the highest values yet recorded, of 16,100 micromoles of Trolox Eq. per 100 g (Wu et al. 2004)."

Is it higher than this J?
No not higher than that but our compound serves 2 purposes.

1. Increase metabolic rate
2. Happens to have a high ORAC value

Not bad!

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Oh here he is, Mr jazzman! What did USP give you for getting that cortisol inhibitor question?

Are you wanting us to guess the substance/plant?
Sure why not, we can turn this into a fun guessing game.

Winner gets 2 AP(or 1 plsin and 1 ap) and 2 thermogenic plus(not the name but you get it).

jazzman21

Awards
  • Established
He got a chocolate Bunny!

stuffed with P-Slin and AP!
and a PowerFull or a TNA (if you still have it). Just kidding. Hey thanks a lot J, you always lookin' out. Let me know when you want me to PM you my addy. Thanks a ton!!!!!

jazzman21

Awards
  • Established

Winner gets 2 AP(or 1 plsin and 1 ap) and 2 thermogenic plus(not the name but you get it).
OK, let see if I can make it 2 in a row! :)

and a PowerFull or a TNA (if you still have it). Just kidding. Hey thanks a lot J, you always lookin' out. Let me know when you want me to PM you my addy. Thanks a ton!!!!!
thought you did already! I'm out of TNA but a PowerFULL can be worked on..I will twist some dam arms to make it happen!

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Your ORAC value will be impressive once you swallow a capsule.
Really, because ORAC makes no consideration for oral bioavailability. So it may have a nice value in vitro but it won't necessarily translate in vivo. I really hate how this was pushed as the de facto standard for anti-oxidants when it has such glaring flaws.

jazzman21

Awards
  • Established
Are you wanting us to guess the substance/plant?
Your ORAC value will be impressive once you swallow a capsule. I mean the strongest in world.

The new theromogenic's ORAC value is off the sheezy! I have really impressed myself, and I'm unimpressive.

:box:
I think I got it!

J you said "Your ORAC value will be impressive once you swallow a capsule. I mean the strongest in world."

*ORAC stands for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) and it is a method of measuring antioxidant capacities of different foods.[1][2] It was developed by the scientists at the National Institute of Aging in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Baltimore, Maryland, but it does not mean that this method is approved by NIH. Recently, US Department of Agriculture USDA listed a database of the ORAC value in its home page (www.usda.gov) without evaluation. A wide variety of foods have been tested using this methodology, with certain berries and legumes rated very highly[3]. Correlation between the high antioxidant capacity of fruits and vegetables, and the positive impact of diets high in fruits and vegetables, is believed to play an important role in the Free-radical theory of aging.

*We need to figure out what are capsules made of. The most commonly used substance in capsules is "Gelatin". Most capsules are made from gelatin. Gelatin is widely used in many food products such as puddings, desserts, marshmallows, chewable candies, glazes, whipped toppings, and dips. One popular consumer product is Jell-O® brand gelatin (Jell-O® is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods, Inc.). In food applications, gelatin's ability to gel, thicken, stabilize, and aerate make it a highly desirable, nutritive, fat-free component. Gelatin also finds its way into many households in the form of cosmetics and toiletries, which utilize gelatin for it's hypoallergenic and hydrating properties.

Gelatin itself is a mixture of water-soluble proteins derived primarily from collagen, which is the main naturally-occurring protein constituent of connective tissue. Gelatin is obtained from collagen by exposing animal skins and bones to a controlled extraction process. Gelatin comes in various types. Herb capsules are made from pharmaceutical grade gelatin that has met the stringent requirements of the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) and other international organizations that set standards for products that are used in medicines.

*Since you can only find the "ORAC value" in food(s), more specifically in fruits and vegetables, then I had to find the closest gelatin/collagen based food product. And as far as I know that would be some good ol' "JELL-O". But of course Jello isn't a fruit or veggie so I went to various websites and looked under "prune/raisins" since that is the closest fruit/veggie in my opinion, that has a gel-like substance similar to gelatin and it is around 3-5 thousand per 100 grams on the ORAC value scale.

The gelatin in Jell-O is what lets you transform it into all sorts of different shapes. What exactly is gelatin? Gelatin is just a processed version of a structural protein called collagen that is found in many animals, including humans. Collagen actually makes up almost a third of all the protein in the human body. It is a big, fibrous molecule that makes skin, bones, and tendons both strong and somewhat elastic. As you get older, your body makes less collagen, and individual collagen fibers become crosslinked with each other. You might experience this as stiff joints (from less flexible tendons) or wrinkles (from loss of skin elasticity).

The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled. During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.**

So i'm going to say that the substance is gelatin and/or collegan.

If not right am I at least close J? Goodnight, i'm pooped!

P.S. There are two more substance(s) that a lot of capsules are made from also and that is Magnesium Stearate and Cellulose. Just thought I'd throw those 2 in also! Now Goodnight 4-reelz!!!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established

Sri Lankan Tamil Dingleberry....

OR

North Tibetan Tiger Penis (the plant, perverts)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Pomegranate or

Mangosteen OR Goji Berry
Oh, you're playing for real?

Acai berry

in addition to:

Sri Lankan Tamil Dingleberry....

OR

North Tibetan Tiger Penis (the plant, perverts)

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
My updated understanding: Flavanone , 2′-hydroxyflavanone or a coffee extract

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Hemp and Cocoa:twisted:

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Schinus molle, the fruit from the Brazillian Pepper Tree!

http://www.bio.puc.cl/caseb/pdf/prog1/MetabolicRateFoxCBP.pdf

Interplay between metabolic rate and diet quality in the South
American fox, Pseudalopex culpaeus
Sergio I. Silva*, Fabian M. Jaksic, Francisco Bozinovic
Center for Advanced Studies in Ecology and Biodiversity and Departamento de Ecolog´ıa, Pontificia Universidad Cato´lica de Chile,
P.O. Box 114-D, Santiago, Chile
Received 14 March 2003; received in revised form 22 August 2003; accepted 3 September 2003
Abstract
We studied the metabolic costs associated with the ingestion of peppertree fruits (Schinus molle) in the culpeo fox,
Pseudalopex culpaeus, the second largest canid in South America. Throughout its range of distribution, this fox feeds
on rodents and other small vertebrates, and also on peppertree fruits, which represent 98% of total fruits consumed in
semiarid Chile. Peppertree contains a high diversity of phytochemicals. Foxes feeding on diets containing rats and
peppertree fruits (mixed diets) exhibited a 98.9% increase in basal rate of metabolism when compared to rat-acclimated
foxes. Thus, acute ingestion of chemically defended fruits has an energetic cost for the fox, reflected in higher values
of basal metabolism. Increased metabolic rates may be associated with increased protein synthesis for detoxification and
for tissue repair, including the production of biotransformation enzymes.
 2003 Elsevier Science Inc. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Basal metabolic rate; Chemically defended fruit; Food quality; Mixed diet; Canid; Peppertree; Schinus molle

Really, because ORAC makes no consideration for oral bioavailability. So it may have a nice value in vitro but it won't necessarily translate in vivo. I really hate how this was pushed as the de facto standard for anti-oxidants when it has such glaring flaws.
Oral biavailability is not an issus in this case.

No winners yet.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Isoxanthohumol, xanthohumol, Naringenin, hesperetin(herperidin), Naringin, 7-B-Rutinoside, Taxifolin.

tattoopierced1

enriched extracts from artichoke
chlorogenic acid, cynarin A and narirutin

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
cranberry extract? (ORAC right around 8,000)

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Tart Cherry

Scientific tests show that tart cherry juice concentrate has 12,800 ORAC units per 100 grams of concentrate. This is a very high value, significantly higher than other fruits, including prunes, blueberries and strawberries. The ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) tests, which were conducted by Brunswick Laboratories in Wareham, Massachusetts, quantifies how many antioxidants are in a food and how powerful they are. Brunswick Labs is a leader in ORAC testing and has set the standard for other testing companies.

Dried cherries have 6,800 ORAC units per 100 grams; frozen tart cherries, 2,033 units and canned tart cherries, 1,700 units. Other fruits that have been tested range from 700 to 5,700 ORAC units per 100 grams. Nutritionists suggest that people consume 3,000 to 5,000 ORAC units per day to have an impact on health.

Tart cherries have 19 times as much vitamin A and beta carotene as strawberries and blueberries. They also are high in fiber and potassium and contain iron, magnesium, vitamins C, B6, E and folic acid; they have virtually no fat and no sodium. “This variety of nutrients in tart cherries translates into good nutrition,” says Rainville. A complete nutritional analysis of tart cherries was recently done on frozen, canned and dried tart cherries as well as tart cherry juice concentrate. How it works....

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Orange oil (Citrus aurantium) ORAC 18,898

Tart Cherry

Scientific tests show that tart cherry juice concentrate has 12,800 ORAC units per 100 grams of concentrate. This is a very high value, significantly higher than other fruits, including prunes, blueberries and strawberries. The ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) tests, which were conducted by Brunswick Laboratories in Wareham, Massachusetts, quantifies how many antioxidants are in a food and how powerful they are. Brunswick Labs is a leader in ORAC testing and has set the standard for other testing companies.

Dried cherries have 6,800 ORAC units per 100 grams; frozen tart cherries, 2,033 units and canned tart cherries, 1,700 units. Other fruits that have been tested range from 700 to 5,700 ORAC units per 100 grams. Nutritionists suggest that people consume 3,000 to 5,000 ORAC units per day to have an impact on health.

Tart cherries have 19 times as much vitamin A and beta carotene as strawberries and blueberries. They also are high in fiber and potassium and contain iron, magnesium, vitamins C, B6, E and folic acid; they have virtually no fat and no sodium. “This variety of nutrients in tart cherries translates into good nutrition,” says Rainville. A complete nutritional analysis of tart cherries was recently done on frozen, canned and dried tart cherries as well as tart cherry juice concentrate. How it works....

ORAC is just an ancillary effect so you need to find the fat loss first//

anabolicstate

anabolicstate

Awards

Over 8,000!
That is quite impressive!! The most I've heard an anti-oxidant product possessing was a little over 5500. As a matter of fact, I believe a member on this board was talking about his anti-oxidant product and claimed his was around that number. Maybe I got it from him?

USPLabs, when did you finish conducting ORAC testing on your new product? Again, that's a pretty big number. I'm definitely impressed.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ORAC is just an ancillary effect so you need to find the fat loss first//
fatloss via anti-cortisol and thyroid, correct?

I would imagine this helps narrow it down a bit more.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Coffeeberry
Phellodendron amurense
Magnolia officinalis
Shilajit
Rhodiola/Ashwagandha extracted for different actives

jazzman21

Awards
  • Established
glucocorticoids
The major glucocorticoid in man, cortisol, plays important roles in regulating fuel metabolism, energy partitioning and body fat distribution. In addition to the control of cortisol levels in blood by the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis, intracellular cortisol levels within target tissues can be controlled by local enzymes. 11β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11β-HSD1) catalyses the regeneration of active cortisol from inert cortisone, thereby amplifying cortisol levels and glucocorticoid receptor activation in adipose tissue, liver and other tissues. 11β-HSD1 is under complex tissue-specific regulation and there is evidence that it adjusts local cortisol concentrations independently of the plasma cortisol concentrations, e.g. in response to changes in diet. In obesity 11β-HSD1 mRNA and activity in adipose tissue are increased. The mechanism of this up-regulation remains uncertain; polymorphisms in the HSD11B1 gene have been associated with metabolic complications of obesity, including hypertension and type 2 diabetes, but not with obesity per se. Extensive data have been obtained in mice with transgenic over-expression of 11β-HSD1 in liver and adipocytes, targeted deletion of 11β-HSD1, and using novel selective 11β-HSD1 inhibitors; these data support the use of 11β-HSD1 inhibitors to lower intracellular glucocorticoid levels and treat both obesity and its metabolic complications. Moreover, in human subjects the non-selective ‘prototype’ inhibitor carbenoxolone enhances insulin sensitivity. Results of clinical studies with novel potent selective 11β-HSD1 inhibitors are therefore eagerly awaited. The present article focuses on the physiological role of glucocorticoids in regulating energy partitioning, and the evidence that this process is modulated by 11β-HSD1 in human subjects.

J this is it!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i wish i was good at these kinda guessing things.....