Protein Or Calories While Bulking?

JayRock

Awards
Is it more important to take in excess protein or excess calories while bulking? I've always done both bc it's best, but there was a time last year when i took in less protein than calories and i still grew. I know excess protein while cutting is good, but a personal trainer told me not to worry so much about eating excess protein while bulking, and that it can be bad for you. ?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
the wording of your question is kinda weird, but i think your asking if being more concerned with protein or more concerned with cals is more important when bulking.

the answer is that you need to be concerned with all three macros. Carbs, Protein, Fats. All three as essential for muscle growth. You will need an excess of them to grow, in turn keeping calories high.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
It is important to take in excess PRO as that is required to rebuild the damaged muscle tissue caused by intense resistance training. However, it is important to have a CHO substrate to optimally shuttle the nutrients. This is why PWO shakes include some amount of high glycemic CHO. CHOs should be managed during a bulk (i.e. don't go overboard), but they are definitely important. And don't forget the healthy fats - Omegas 3 and 6.

Also, please ask your trainer to explain it to you so you understand. You're paying for the session, they should be able to explain to your level of understanding. And the come back here and post why it is bad for you.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Balanced diet- Idt you can say one macro is more important than another when all three are critical to making good gains.

Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, train, eat, rest, eat, repeat.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The body can use all three main macronutrients for energy. As long as your ratios are not too heavily skewed your body will adjust as needed. However your body cannot make energy from nothing so IMO first and foremost you have to make sure that you are eating enough.

I will also echo that your question is sort of strange. As you mentioned that you still grew when you took in less protein. So right there you have somewhat answered your own question. You do not need copious amounts of protein to grow but you do need the calories.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Okay I have to ask this, but you do realize a protein is a calorie?
I'm not trying to be a d-bag, just by the way you worded your question it leaves us wondering.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Okay I have to ask this, but you do realize a protein is a calorie?
I'm not trying to be a d-bag, just by the way you worded your question it leaves us wondering.
don't worry, the same thought crossed my mind.

and just an fyi to the original poster:

1 gram of Protein = 4 calories
1 gram of Carbohydrates = 4 calories
1 gram of Fats = 9 calories