Time to get some strength and size back...DC Style

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I am mostly a lurker and reader on this board, but after some motivation from one of my close friends, it is now time to quit the ****, and put on some weight since the summer is coming to a close. I am currently weighing in at a shade under 200lbs, prob 9-10% bf. I have been training doing a full-body routine 3x per week, with some occasional cardio. My goal: 220 at about 12-14%.

Supps:
BCAAS, whey protein blend, RPM, mass fx, hyperdrol x2, retain 2.

Diet: 40/40/20 P/C/F, lower carb higher healthy fats on non-workout days, one cheat day per week so i can get my pizza in. Very clean bulk (I dont want those love handles back...EVER!) Calorie range of 3000-4000.

Workout:
DC style training to the T., Mon, Wed, Fri, cardio tues-thurs empty stomach low intensity.
Workout 1A:
Chest- Hammer Strength Horizontal press
Shoulders- Hammer Strength overhead press
Triceps- Reverse Grip benches on smith machine
Back Width- Hammer strength Behind neck pulldowns
Back Thickness- DB rows

Workout 2A:
Quads- Barbell Squats
Hams - Laying leg curls
Calves- seated calve raises
Biceps- preacher curls

Workout 1B:
Chest: Weighted Dips
Shoulders: Smith Machine OHP
Triceps: CG bench on smith
Back Width: CG pulldowns
Back Thickness: Floor deads

Workout 2B:
Quads: Leg Press
Hams: SLDL
Calves: calve raises on leg press
Biceps: incline db curls

Workout 1C:
Chest - slight incline on smith
Shoulders- DB OHP
Triceps: Cybex Triceps ext.
Back Width: weighted pull-ups
back thick: rack deads

Workout 2C:
Quads: front squats on smith
Hams: ???
Calves: donkey calve raises
biceps: pinwheel curls

Everything but quads and back thickness exercises will be rest paused. My gym is limited when it comes to hammy exercises, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I did workout 1A today, took 5 rpm preworkout, and drank a whey shake in powerade (my supps have not come in yet.) I went relatively light, my weights are only counting plates, since i have no idea what the starting weight is on some of the machines:
Hammer strength Horiz. press- 180 1x11+4+3
hammer strength shoulder press- 110- 1x12+4+3 really light
RG bench on smith: 140 1x11+3+3
hammer strength pulldowns 230 1x11+3+3
DB Rows: 90lbs 2x12

Ate a grilled chicken hero on wheat bread, no cheese, onions, lettuce, tomato, mustard post workout, have not gone food shopping since i will be away for the next few days. All in all not a bad workout, weights were relatively light, and the extreme stretches reaaaallly hurt. Ill get in some cardio tomorrow after my flight, and will post back up.
ONWARD!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Looks good man, I'm looking to run something similar when I'm done with this phase

Last edited:
MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
Good Luck, I had great success with DC just as you're doing it, put on some good muscle and I'm old, but it does work, you really have to go ALL OUT every workout, to the point you are crawling out of the gym...

Speedbacker

Awards
Where are your forearm exercises? On days 2, 4, and 6 are you doing to be doing the exercises in that order? Because that isn't how Dante has it set up. Just curious.

mySTI

Awards
For hams, Sumo leg press: you can do it on the leg press with your feet wide and at the top of the platform, pushing only with your heels. Try it out :)

Also the order should be:
Biceps
Forearms
Calves
Hams
Quads

If you do quads first, when the widowmaker is done right, you should be ready to go home... lol

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would shift the low intensity fasting cardio to HIIT with pre-WO nutrition if you are bulking...

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
ok all i was away for the last week, and had to contend with the HORRID gym at the hotel i was staying in (dumbells only up to 50lbs!?!?) So i mostly did cardio, and one weight session if you can even call it that. Yesterday here was my workout (was at another gym again, so these are not necessarily the order i wanted them in:

Hammer Strength Flat Press: 190 1x10+3+2
Cybex shoulder press: 80lbs in the stack, 1x10+3+3 (real slow and controlled on these, i do have one shoulder that bothers me once in a while).
RG bench on smith: 150 1x10+2+2
Behind neck pulldowns on Hammer strength: 270 1x9+3+2
Floor Deadlifts: 225 1x10, 245 1x6. First time doing deads in a loooong time, this was relatively easy, did not go to failure with 245. Extreme stretches of course followed all the exercises. Most of these are repeats of workout 1A for the simple fact that I was not in my gym.

As far as forearms are concerned, i do not use straps on any back exercises, so my forearms get hit pretty hard during deads and rack deads. As the deads get above the 315 range, i start using straps and incorporating forearms again. I am finally back in my original gym, so friday I am hitting legs/bis. As far as order of exercises, I do quads last as mentioned above.

Cardio-wise, i have had massive success with HIIT, but since my focus right now is on size, I am going to stick with lower intensity, prob only twice a week to really focus on the lifting.

I have used DC in the past with great success, but suffered in the diet dept. In other words, i GOT FAT from sloppy eating. not this time though. I am adhering to carb cut-offs. On workout days, the majority of those carbs is around my workout. oats, veggies, waxy maize, sweet potatoes, lettuce, spinach. I have cut out all bread from my diet. Protein sources are lean cuts of beef, ground turkey, steak, chicken, protein powder, skim milk. Olive oil and flaxseed oil, anpb are incorporated in all non-carb meals. On off days, I am eating only 2 carb meals (the first 2 of the day) and the rest high protein/mod fat.

I have decided to hold off on any supps other than BCAAs, Creatine Mono, whey, waxy maize, and RPM. I am natural so no steroids.

The weights I have used so far have been relatively light, and i have stopped just short of failure just to get in the groove. I have a tendency to overtrain (esp when using RPM, loooove that stuff). The great part about DC is seeing the progress both in the mirror and in the logbook. (not to mention the workouts take a max of 45min.)

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Where are your forearm exercises? On days 2, 4, and 6 are you doing to be doing the exercises in that order? Because that isn't how Dante has it set up. Just curious.
Biceps are done first, followed by forearms, hams, calves, quads.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I would shift the low intensity fasting cardio to HIIT with pre-WO nutrition if you are bulking...
I am a huge advocate of HIIT, just not while using DC training. My problem is i compete with myself doing hiit, really going balls out and leading to overtraining. The low intensity does include some pre-workout nutrition, Scoop of whey, bcaas, creatine.

mySTI

Awards
I am a huge advocate of HIIT, just not while using DC training. My problem is i compete with myself doing hiit, really going balls out and leading to overtraining. The low intensity does include some pre-workout nutrition, Scoop of whey, bcaas, creatine.
Good call :)

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
alright, woke up at around 830 today (day off from work), had a huge bowl of oatmeal, 2 scoops of whey, and 2 cupcakes!! (fat free cupcakes lol), an hour later, 2 chicken breasts and a small bowl of kashi cereal w/ skim milk, took some rpm and off to the gym where i did:

Biceps- Incline seated curls- 35lb dumbells, 1x11+3+2, real slow negatives on these
Hamstrings- Cybex seated leg curls- 115lbs 1x12+4+3, went too light on these, but a decent start
calves- calve raises on leg press, 5 second hold at bottom w/ heels dipped, 1x10 straight set with 270lbs, these were absolutely AGONIZING.
Quads- Leg press 535lbs 1x8, deep, knees to the armpits. relatively easy, but I went lighter than i would have liked since i havent trained legs in over 5 months.
Widowmaker set: 395 1x20. BRUTAL, although i didnt have to rest at the top at all. Extreme stretches after all exercises as usual, and i doubled my postworkout drink, 70grams malto, 60 grams of whey.

Still waiting for my supps to ship, all in all not as bad as i thought it would be. Sat and Sun are off days, and on monday is chest/tris/shoulder/back.

mySTI

Awards
alright, woke up at around 830 today (day off from work), had a huge bowl of oatmeal, 2 scoops of whey, and 2 cupcakes!! (fat free cupcakes lol), an hour later, 2 chicken breasts and a small bowl of kashi cereal w/ skim milk, took some rpm and off to the gym where i did:

Biceps- Incline seated curls- 35lb dumbells, 1x11+3+2, real slow negatives on these
Hamstrings- Cybex seated leg curls- 115lbs 1x12+4+3, went too light on these, but a decent start
calves- calve raises on leg press, 5 second hold at bottom w/ heels dipped, 1x10 straight set with 270lbs, these were absolutely AGONIZING.
Quads- Leg press 535lbs 1x8, deep, knees to the armpits. relatively easy, but I went lighter than i would have liked since i havent trained legs in over 5 months.
Widowmaker set: 395 1x20. BRUTAL, although i didnt have to rest at the top at all. Extreme stretches after all exercises as usual, and i doubled my postworkout drink, 70grams malto, 60 grams of whey.

Still waiting for my supps to ship, all in all not as bad as i thought it would be. Sat and Sun are off days, and on monday is chest/tris/shoulder/back.
Make the 5 second hold a 5 second descent and hold that stretch for 15 seconds. That's the way DC wants it done. Guess how much more agonizing those are ;). If you're not dying at 6 reps, you're not doin' it right! lol

Also how'd you like the quad stretch? Those are the absolute worst for me!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Make the 5 second hold a 5 second descent and hold that stretch for 15 seconds. That's the way DC wants it done. Guess how much more agonizing those are ;). If you're not dying at 6 reps, you're not doin' it right! lol

Also how'd you like the quad stretch? Those are the absolute worst for me!
the quad stretch (sissy squat) is a nightmare, the entire 60 seconds is pure hell, i was a bit confused about the calve raises so thanks for clarifying, il prob have to go a little lighter next time on those. My legs are still shaking now. The best part about leg day on a friday is my appetite is out of control after. Just had a huge plates of boiled chicken breasts with veggies, and its STEAK tonight and maybe a nice pint of guiness.

mySTI

Awards
the quad stretch (sissy squat) is a nightmare, the entire 60 seconds is pure hell, i was a bit confused about the calve raises so thanks for clarifying, il prob have to go a little lighter next time on those. My legs are still shaking now. The best part about leg day on a friday is my appetite is out of control after. Just had a huge plates of boiled chicken breasts with veggies, and its STEAK tonight and maybe a nice pint of guiness.
No prob man :)

Makin' me hungry. I love steak.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Alright been very busy at work, so I havent had time to post. here are my last 2 workouts after my off days (sat, sun)

9/24/07 Upper body

Incline bench Smith Machine- 140 1x10+3+2 (only counting actual weight added)
DB seated shoulder press- 60lbs 1x7+3+2 REAL weak on these, its very hard for me to use dbs on shoulders after hitting chest, not to mention i feel like im using too much energy just hoisting the weights up 3x.
skullcrushers- EZ bar + 50lbs added 1x10+3+3
Wide grip pulldowns- 190 1x10+3+3
Rack deads- 315 1x8, 335 1x5

9/26/07

Preacher curls- ez bar +60lbs added 1x8+3+3
overhand forearm ext. 50lbs 1x10+4+3
seated calve raises 90lbs 1x10, using the 15 sec. stretch on each rep, by #5 i wanted to die!
seated leg curls- 125 1x10+4+4
Smith front squats- 200 1x8, 180 1x20.

I am trying my best to eat as much as possible, but my job sometimes makes it virtually impossible to eat what i want. I have been waking up early (about 630am), eating breakfast, going back to sleep, eating again pre workout, then working out at around 930am. I get in my postworkout shake, then another meal right as i start my shift. These four meals are great, but then im stuck out on foot with no food in sight for 4hrs at a time! I have been snacking on packs of peanuts and almonds in between. I have even had to say screw it and last night ate a footlong sub on wheat, turkey and chicken double meat, no cheese, lettuce, onions, pickles, mustard. I would say i am still getting in over 3200 kcal, but i need more than that to grow as my metabolism is pretty fast. I add oil to everything i eat (except peanuts of course) for the meals following my 2 postworkout meals.

My supps have finally shipped from nutraplanet (the bcaa powder was the hold up) so they should be in late this week. Luckily friday is an off day from work, so i will sleep in, eat like a beast, and get a good chest/shoulder/tri back width/back thick workout in. Its off to the supermarket now!!

mySTI

Awards
Alright been very busy at work, so I havent had time to post. here are my last 2 workouts after my off days (sat, sun)

9/24/07 Upper body

Incline bench Smith Machine- 140 1x10+3+2 (only counting actual weight added)
DB seated shoulder press- 60lbs 1x7+3+2 REAL weak on these, its very hard for me to use dbs on shoulders after hitting chest, not to mention i feel like im using too much energy just hoisting the weights up 3x.
skullcrushers- EZ bar + 50lbs added 1x10+3+3
Wide grip pulldowns- 190 1x10+3+3
Rack deads- 315 1x8, 335 1x5

9/26/07

Preacher curls- ez bar +60lbs added 1x8+3+3
overhand forearm ext. 50lbs 1x10+4+3
seated calve raises 90lbs 1x10, using the 15 sec. stretch on each rep, by #5 i wanted to die!
seated leg curls- 125 1x10+4+4
Smith front squats- 200 1x8, 180 1x20.

I am trying my best to eat as much as possible, but my job sometimes makes it virtually impossible to eat what i want. I have been waking up early (about 630am), eating breakfast, going back to sleep, eating again pre workout, then working out at around 930am. I get in my postworkout shake, then another meal right as i start my shift. These four meals are great, but then im stuck out on foot with no food in sight for 4hrs at a time! I have been snacking on packs of peanuts and almonds in between. I have even had to say screw it and last night ate a footlong sub on wheat, turkey and chicken double meat, no cheese, lettuce, onions, pickles, mustard. I would say i am still getting in over 3200 kcal, but i need more than that to grow as my metabolism is pretty fast. I add oil to everything i eat (except peanuts of course) for the meals following my 2 postworkout meals.

My supps have finally shipped from nutraplanet (the bcaa powder was the hold up) so they should be in late this week. Luckily friday is an off day from work, so i will sleep in, eat like a beast, and get a good chest/shoulder/tri back width/back thick workout in. Its off to the supermarket now!!
Dante recommends dumbbell pressing movements(DB chest/shoulder exercises) to be at a 20-30 rest-pause rep range. This is due to the whole "getting the DB's up" issue. It will also help you progress better since the weight jumps for dumbbells are +5lbs each side. Just a suggestion I found that helps.

Other than that, nice workouts. Destroy those rack deads and widowmakers!

Keep eating bud!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the suggestions, i did use real slow negs on the dbs, i was just surprised i tired out with the 60's at only 7 reps! rack deads and deads are always a strong point for me, i should be back to floor deading in the 350+ range in a few months.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
9/28/07
Hammer strength flat bench 195 1x10+3+3
cybex OHP- 90lns 1x10+3+3
RG smith bench- 155 1x10+3+3
hammer strength behind neck pulldowns- 280 1x9+3+3
DB Rows- 95lbs 1x10, 100lbs 1x6

strength is up on every exercise, and its gettin easier!!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
On another note, i have been having trouble eating very clean, so i found an in between to add calories, german dark wheat bread, all natty pb, and sugar free jelly, an easy and delicious 500+ calories down the hatch!

mySTI

Awards
On another note, i have been having trouble eating very clean, so i found an in between to add calories, german dark wheat bread, all natty pb, and sugar free jelly, an easy and delicious 500+ calories down the hatch!
All natty pb... yum... I can eat that ALL day...

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
the skippy all natty pb that you dont have to mix might be my fav food of all time, i could eat jars of it.