What to do when you pull a muscle while bulking?

San Quinn

San Quinn

Awards
  • Established
Pretty pissed off right now! :rant:
I pulled a back muscle in the middle of my right side about 5 days ago, I thought it would be better by now but its a little worse. Not even sure when I will be able to get back in the gym? Last time I pulled some muscles in my lower back and was able to get back in the gym a week and a half later, doesnt look like thats going to happen this time.

What should I do now? I dont know if its a good idea to keep bulking when I cant work our right? I am almost 200lbs and take in about 3000 or so calories a day. The other thing I am worried about is losing muscle if I dont eat enough. So what do you guys do when injured while bulking?

TIA

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
You have to let it rest. And don't try to stretch it.

I just did something goofy to my shoulder, just when things were going really well too, defintely frustrating as hell!

Just do any exercises that don't bother the area that hurts, that's all we can do until things heal up!

Good luck!!

San Quinn

San Quinn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know what you mean, been trying to rest but I figured I could workout my arms and not use my back 2 days ago. Well I think it made my back worse since you almost use your back for everything. So I am not even sure if I want to go in the gym for some LI cardio on the bike for about 25 minutes?

So what about the diet part? Keep bulking or maybe take in alittle less calories?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know what you mean, been trying to rest but I figured I could workout my arms and not use my back 2 days ago. Well I think it made my back worse since you almost use your back for everything. So I am not even sure if I want to go in the gym for some LI cardio on the bike for about 25 minutes?

So what about the diet part? Keep bulking or maybe take in alittle less calories?
I'd cut back a tad if your really worried about getting fat. When I've had smaller back injuries I'll do some advil before a workout. I know it messes with protein but it's not going to wreck everything if taken infrequently, and it sure can make workouts easier when something hurts. I should have said before too, keep some ice on it throughout the day.

Hope it clears up for you! Those little injuries definitely suck!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to think long-term when it comes to injuries, especially the back. It is not worth the risk of exacerbating to strain while working out and backs take forever to heal. Cut back a little on the kcals and ice the area to make sure the inflammation stays low.

Oats n' chicken

Awards
This is when machines have there real use... When you have an injured back.. I'd stay away from most any weights, unless there attached to a chair with good back support, and wont make you strain. Its just good for maintenance.. Best of luck.

Oats n' chicken

gettingold

Awards
I had a similar setback a while back. I fell at work and sprained my wrist. Hurt like hell. I tried to rush it back thinking I could just wrap it tight and get back to it. WRONG! I aggrivated it and set myself back even further. Don't be impatient. It sucks, but you have to rest it so it can heal. Good luck!!!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I was kicking ass a few weeks ago, really making some progress. I pulled my neck muscle, and it looked like my traps had melted into my back, they were totally gone. It was better after about 5 days, but it is damn frustrating.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
are you an endomorph?

3000 cals at 200lbs seems a little low for a bulking diet.

if i am on cycle i just work through the injury on more forgiving exercises, the only injuries i have recieved were in my back and shoulders. cut out the free weights and just maintain with machines. taking one more day off per week will also speed recovery and make workouts a little more bearable.

San Quinn

San Quinn

Awards
  • Established
I think I am a endomorph. To me I feel like I have like 10 % body fat on my legs. Around my stomach and chest area seem to be the only area I carry fat. I was taking in about 3,200-3,400 calories and I was gaining about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week. I am not 100% sure but it seems like I was gaining mostly fat. So now I am going to lower it to around 3,000-3,200 calories to see how it goes.

I still have been resting. Going to the gym today for 30 minutes of low intensity cardio on the bike maybe.
I was doing really good to damnit! I was also starting to lift a little heavier, hope I can continue right where I left off.