What month do you normally start bulking?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Just curious as to when you choose to start bulking. I imagine most of you on here will start sometime in September?

When you bulk, how long do you normally bulk for and what month do you start cutting again?

Are you a fan of clean bulking or a mix of dirty/clean foods? What works best for you?

Personally I will probably start bulking again at the end of September/early October. That will carry into January/early February. Then I will start cutting again for summer and possibly another show which more than likely will take place in early June.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I don't compete but getting bigger is a lot harder and takes a lot more time than cutting

I see a lot of people that compete too easy and could do with getting a lot larger before getting in contest shape

My experience is that you can eat clean and gain weight, however if you're taller then you'll need a lot more calories than a shorter person. So taller people might need to dirty it up a bit to get the calories in

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
Im going to start bulking in a couple days, septemeber 1 hahah. Been doing IF and will jump to a bulk diet and a lower volume, higher intensity workout routine till about february. I dont meal prep, but i set a plan with the main food i eat, like how many eggs, chicken, oatmeal, rice etc i need to hit my calorie and macro goals. I still try and stay away from sugars, but i give myself certain cheat meals. I wont stress about eating in n out or the occasional buffet or ihop after a leg day lol. Nothing a little summer tren and dieting cant get rid of lol. My main goal is hitting the protein and cals, I live alone so as far as what i keep at my house is all very clean.

Em3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I like doing 6 month rotations.

Bulk 3-4 months, cut for 2-3 months. All depends on how effective I am with each portion of the cycle.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
typical after a competition, it takes a good month just to rebound back then toy can start trying to add muscle. Like for me I was on a pre contest nutrition plan from Feb 20th until June 9th. I took over two months where I trained to maintain and not add muscle.

Currently the goal is to add muscle. Lets face it, bulking looks ugly, its much more beautiful to stay lean year round. That said , as long as you keep everything in check, you can add some muscle, if done right, when you lose those 20 lbs again. Thats what ive been trying to do stay within 20 lbs of contest weight. and I realize if you add muscle in the year youll weigh more, just keep an eye on your stomach in the mirror and itll be fine

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
September for me. I begin to back off of cardio and increase calories mid-September and transition into a lean bulk. Goodbye lean, hello strong.

Country

Awards
I don't compete but getting bigger is a lot harder and takes a lot more time than cutting

I see a lot of people that compete too easy and could do with getting a lot larger before getting in contest shape

My experience is that you can eat clean and gain weight, however if you're taller then you'll need a lot more calories than a shorter person. So taller people might need to dirty it up a bit to get the calories in
Agree bulking clean as you can gives u good weight and less diet time pre contest. When i started i dirty bulked and had to start prep 18 weeks out now i can dial in in 12 to 10 weeks

Country

Awards
typical after a competition, it takes a good month just to rebound back then toy can start trying to add muscle. Like for me I was on a pre contest nutrition plan from Feb 20th until June 9th. I took over two months where I trained to maintain and not add muscle.

Currently the goal is to add muscle. Lets face it, bulking looks ugly, its much more beautiful to stay lean year round. That said , as long as you keep everything in check, you can add some muscle, if done right, when you lose those 20 lbs again. Thats what ive been trying to do stay within 20 lbs of contest weight. and I realize if you add muscle in the year youll weigh more, just keep an eye on your stomach in the mirror and itll be fine
What show are you thinking of doing

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don’t compete but here is my routine- I pretty much constantly stay in a lean bulk. Once in a while I’ll do a 4 week cut then go right back to lean bulking. I prefer mass over definition. At the same time, I don’t let myself get over 16%. I like staying around 12-13% so I’m constantly watching the mirror, not necessarily the scale.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What show are you thinking of doing
None the rest of this year. Ive got to take it one step at a time. I do love posing though, even in the offseason, last night I posed about 45 minutes non stop outside at night in my cars reflection, then inside in mirrors.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hell i can put on almost two pounds a day...can cut the same too. Im going to try to maintain current weight while burning off some body fat and then start slowly cutting in Jan