Alternative to oats?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just recently started to bulk again and always had Oats as a staple in my diet.. Recently though thier giving me some serious digestion problems. The last 3 times i have eaten Oats im getting very bad bloat and my stomach feels upset? I have had Oats in my diet for years and my body just won't tolerate them just now? Not a clue whats going on. Thats 3 days running they have caused problems. I noticed yesterday that even after i had eaten them i was still ravenous almost like my body wasn't difesting them at all.

I had a bowl yesterday 100g of oats + Strawberries + Protein powder and an hour later my stomach was going crazy. Borderline painful and the Gas was....... Not very pleasant!

Any other alternatives to give my system a rest? Something that matches the nutritional profile. I loved Oats aswell with a decent flavoured protein. The were always very satiating for my Crazy appetite and sweet tooth.

I picked up some digestive enzymes & probiotics to run for a few days to see if i can get my digestive tract working well again. Most other foods seem to be going through fine.

Should i stay away from Grains & Wheats for a few days?

Anyone else had these issues & found a fix?

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would see how you feel after a couple days of the digestive enzymes and probiotics. I wouldn't avoid other foods unless you notice a trend.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The bloating could be due to water. Think about it this way, when you add water to oats, they expand and will sit in your stomach as such. It is not just food, but food and the liquid you cooked them in.

As far as the gas, you had at least 10 grams of fiber in one sitting. Do you usually eat that much fiber at once? That could cause the gas. Your body may just need some time to get used to consuming something you haven't in a long time. I would first try a smaller amount of oats in one sitting and use the least amount of liquid possible.

As far as substitutions, cream of wheat or cream of rice. Although they have less fiber than oats, it is still the same principle of adding water to cook them, they may bloat you some. In the nutrition section, someone posted an article by John Meadows stating how he does not drink and eat at the same time because it could cause digestive issues. I did a quick search, but could not find it. I will look later. Although you are not technically drinking with the oatmeal, you cook it with water, so there is more volume in your stomach.

Newth

Awards
The bloating could be due to water. Think about it this way, when you add water to oats, they expand and will sit in your stomach as such. It is not just food, but food and the liquid you cooked them in.

As far as the gas, you had at least 10 grams of fiber in one sitting. Do you usually eat that much fiber at once? That could cause the gas. Your body may just need some time to get used to consuming something you haven't in a long time. I would first try a smaller amount of oats in one sitting and use the least amount of liquid possible.

As far as substitutions, cream of wheat or cream of rice. Although they have less fiber than oats, it is still the same principle of adding water to cook them, they may bloat you some. In the nutrition section, someone posted an article by John Meadows stating how he does not drink and eat at the same time because it could cause digestive issues. I did a quick search, but could not find it. I will look later. Although you are not technically drinking with the oatmeal, you cook it with water, so there is more volume in your stomach.
This is an old trick.
When bulking don't drink for 20mins after food to keep stomach acid strength high or drink water with meals when cutting to lower acid strength and absorption rate.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Beef

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just recently started to bulk again and always had Oats as a staple in my diet.. Recently though thier giving me some serious digestion problems. The last 3 times i have eaten Oats im getting very bad bloat and my stomach feels upset? I have had Oats in my diet for years and my body just won't tolerate them just now? Not a clue whats going on. Thats 3 days running they have caused problems. I noticed yesterday that even after i had eaten them i was still ravenous almost like my body wasn't difesting them at all.

I had a bowl yesterday 100g of oats + Strawberries + Protein powder and an hour later my stomach was going crazy. Borderline painful and the Gas was....... Not very pleasant!

Any other alternatives to give my system a rest? Something that matches the nutritional profile. I loved Oats aswell with a decent flavoured protein. The were always very satiating for my Crazy appetite and sweet tooth.

I picked up some digestive enzymes & probiotics to run for a few days to see if i can get my digestive tract working well again. Most other foods seem to be going through fine.

Should i stay away from Grains & Wheats for a few days?

Anyone else had these issues & found a fix?
I've never been big on oats myself but I totally understand having a 'staple' that you prefer. The protein content on oats doesn't seem "high" compared to the carbs so if you're willing to sacrifice the protein and fat content and grab those somewhere else like egg whites and veggies, then jasmine rice is my go to for carbs. definitely my preferred source.

Quinoa however has a similar protein/carb/fat ratio to some oats. maybe that's an option for you?

did your type of protein your mixing in change? could it be the protein screwing with your stomach?

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On a side note, superhuman radio put out a podcast on glyphosate a couple of weeks back. Oats and grains were found to have the highest levels of glyphosate when tested.

Slapoyjoe

Overnight oats are staple for me. So good. Yeah I get gassy sometimes, but I just unload on the gym rats that don’t rerack their weights.

Seriously, though, you can spread oats out throughout the day: a bit for breakfast, some in the afternoon shake, also in the pwo shake. Oats with chia and flax will keep you growing for sure.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I've had similar problems with digesting oats as well. I love them, but I only consume 1/2 cup servings at a time to avoid stomach discomfort and digestion problems. I've switched the majority of my oatmeal intake to rice cakes and Ezekiel bread. Still delicious, but a lot less stomach cramps and gas

Slimshoddy

Awards
I find Steel ground oats to be easier on the stomach

Newth

Awards
Oats are high in silica, if you can handle them they are worth eating.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On a side note, superhuman radio put out a podcast on glyphosate a couple of weeks back. Oats and grains were found to have the highest levels of glyphosate when tested.
So don't eat oats now?

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Country

Awards
I just change it up time from time oats does get old i eat i 2x per day

Country

Awards
5 meals a day
Meal 1 6 whole eggs 1 cup oatmeal or 2 servings oatmeal.
Meal 2
6.5 oz chicken/ 1 cup rice / 5 asparagus Spears or half cup broccoli
Meal 3
5 oz Salmon / 8oz potato / cup of broccoli
Meal 4
7 oz sirloin / 1 cup rice / cup broccoli
Meal 5
10 egg whites and one cup of oatmeal
2842 calories 240p/300c/78f. My average day its changed a bit since trying to add more size but yea if i dont eat my oats almost clumpy dryish it ****s with my gut

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Whats so good about grits, I was taught most forms are pretty much the same?
Grits are typically easier on the stomach to digest. The grain is smaller and easier to break down in the stomach. Ronnie Coleman was a huge fan of grits - if you ever watch any of his old videos he ate tons of 'em