Bulking macros

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Alright so decided to start a bulk with the new year and was looking for some advice on macros. I have never needed to track macros for bulking before but now that I’m over 30 I have noticed a need to more carefully track my food intake.

I’m 31, 6’1”, 205#, and I have been training off and on for over 13 years, but 4-6 days a week for the last 4 years. I focus on heavy compound lifts M,W,F and do accessory lifts, lighter compound lift variations, and mild intensity cardio T, Th, Sat. For the last six months I have focused on losing fat around my mid section so I was eating low carb, high fat, moderate protein, the split was 50/30/20 fat/protein/carbs. It worked well as I saw a good drop in overall body fat along with my targeted area.

So now that I’m bulking I’m not sure the exact macro split I want to use, so I made sure to up my carb and protein intake along with lower the fat. My macros are ending up to be about 40/30/30, carb/protein/fat. I am eating between 3300-3700 calories a day and have been averaging 270 grams protein and 380 grams carbs. Just wanting to get some opinions since I haven’t really tracked macros on a bulk before. Thanks all.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Honestly imo your spot on bro.

As long as you have enough carbs pre and post workout you don’t necessarily need to be at 380g but in my experience most people bulk better at that sort of level (personally I don’t, for whatever reason my body prefers cutting and bulking on lowish carbs). So don’t be afraid to drop the carbs down a bit if you feel your gaining too much fat but generally everything looks perfect so I think you’ll smash it.

I’m similar height and weight, just a few years older (36) so interested to follow along and see how you get on.

Using any supplements?

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys I appreciate it. As for supps I’m keeping it pretty basic, taking creatine hcl caps, a daily multi-vit, massmax xt, and Kill It pre workout. Today is the first day on the massmax and creatine as they just came in. I’ve been using the pre workout for about a week and like it quite a bit. It’s low stimulant/low caffeine, but provides a good pump and focus, at least for me. I prefer that because most other pre workouts I have tried have made me jittery and a few would actually make me vomit mid workout lol. Anyways I’ll post updates as I go along.

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
So I had to drop the calories a little bit to around 3000-3200 per day. Any more than that and I get some serious bloating. I believe it’s do to the high carb intake combined with the higher total calorie intake. Once my body adjusts I will see where I’m at and adjust as needed.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I had to drop the calories a little bit to around 3000-3200 per day. Any more than that and I get some serious bloating. I believe it’s do to the high carb intake combined with the higher total calorie intake. Once my body adjusts I will see where I’m at and adjust as needed.
I wouldnt drop my calories with your stats. Can you not just increase proteins and fats slightly? Is the bloat look not just extra food in the stomach area? Try lower dense high calorie carbs ie dates? Make a smoothie or something just so it breaks down quickly and absorbed.At 6ft1 and your current weight 3000 calories is in my opinion not enough if your quite active. Im only 5ft9 same age and 155 pounds and 3000 calories makes the scales climb at a snail pace. Well on my last bulk this was the case and i would say im more active now.

I just wouldnt want you too be training hard and your maybe even sitting in a deficit of calories so your muscle gain is nill.

Can always incorporate a GDA to help minimise bloating? Thier not perfect but they do help.. Asparagus is also a natural diuretic also so helps minimise water bloat. Every little helps.

Good luck

Odisious

Awards
I would like to point out that eating too many total calories is the primary cause of building up too much adipose tissue (body fat) when bulking, and //not// the number of carbs in your macro setup.
Carbs actually serve a incontrovertibly fundamental role in bulking effectively and I would highly recommend giving this video a watch - and this is Dr. Mike Israetel himself taking about carbs in one of the most informative videos on the subject I have seen. The video on YouTube titled: Carbs: The Training Fuel-JTSstrength.com I know the name is strange, but the video material is really really good.

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of Dr Mike. I have watched some of his other videos and found them very informative. With the drop in calories and spacing the meals out more efficiently today the bloat has subsided for the most part. Going to have to keep an eye on my waist line though. I have always been very sensitive to carbs and put fat on very easy. I know some fat gain is going to happen but im eating as clean as possible to mitigate some of that. Keeping the carbs simple from stuff like oatmeal, wheat bread, pasta, rice, and veggies. Proteins are eggs, chicken, fish, and some beef. Fats either come from meats, eggs, milk, or other clean sources.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I calculated your tdee to be around 3200... If bloating is an issue then add more fats and remove some carbs/protein...

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
I calculated your tdee to be around 3200... If bloating is an issue then add more fats and remove some carbs/protein...
Yea that’s what I ended up doing. I cut back on the carbs some and I have not dealt with anybloating since. I also started taking a probiotic which helped as well.

I will be weighing myself tomorrow. I don’t weigh myself often when I do this because with my body type I add weight very quickly. My body loves food so the key is what my final weight will be after I cut back on the cals and carbs at about 3 months. Strength is going up nicely though. Workout weights by the end of this week should be 235 on bench, 280 squat, 300 dead lift, 150 OHP. All of that is 3x5.

Hopefully will start pushing some PRs soon. 235 will match my bench PR for working weight. For the others though I have a ways to going. PRs for working weights on the other lifts are; 315 squat, 380ish dead lift, and 185 OHP. I never maxed when those were my working weights so not sure what my PR maxes are. Oh well about time for sleep night all.