Best way to build muscle while lifting?

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Looking for a great way to build mass muscle, I've reached my point where I'm maxing out the same weight for the past few weeks. Best way to do my reps and sets? mon- I do chest, tue, shoulders, wed- tris and bis, Thursday- back, and fri I do lower body squats, dead lifts,

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into a proven routine. 5/3/1, Westside, PHAT, ect

Check out www.simplyshredded.com, find a template you like and that meets your goals and follow it. There's some other good websites also. T-Nation always has good articles also. What's your lifting experience?

P

Prostarter8

Awards
Try doing negatives or switch your routine to doing 4 to 5 days of full body workouts.I know this allowed me to break through plateaus and gain some good mass.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
u mean start with heavy weight first? and as far as full body workouts... instead of doing certin body parts do them all in 1 workout?

P

Prostarter8

Awards
u mean start with heavy weight first? and as far as full body workouts... instead of doing certin body parts do them all in 1 workout?
Negatives are a matter of using heavy weight and slowly lowering the weight which is the reversal of what most do. As for example curling, many contract the weight up and then quickly drop the weight where negatives are the opposite. Start the weight contacted and slowly lower the weight. Benching you would use around your 5 rep max and with a spotter slowly lower the weight to your chest. Spotter helps you raise it then repeat.

As far as full bodies yes. A matter of training legs arms chest back and abs in one workout. May sound grueling but just make sure you are getting good sleep and eating a lot of protein. You'll be breaking the plateau in no time.

J

jwal

Awards
What you need to do is all dependant on your lifting experience unless your pretty advanced you don't need to negatives and all that. If your in your first few years you just need a calorie surplus and to lift progressively heavier, If you can do a certain weight for whatever Rep range your working in consistently then move up the weight five or or ten lbs, and if your doing a five day split I assume your doing a lot of volume which isn't always good either sometimes less is more good luck

P

Prostarter8

Awards
What you need to do is all dependant on your lifting experience unless your pretty advanced you don't need to negatives and all that. If your in your first few years you just need a calorie surplus and to lift progressively heavier, If you can do a certain weight for whatever Rep range your working in consistently then move up the weight five or or ten lbs, and if your doing a five day split I assume your doing a lot of volume which isn't always good either sometimes less is more good luck
^ also another great way to look at it. I was just opinionating from my own experiences and what has worked for myself. Everyone of course is different. Nice post jwal

J

jwal

Awards
^ also another great way to look at it. I was just opinionating from my own experiences and what has worked for myself. Everyone of course is different. Nice post jwal
Sorry man I wasn't trying to down what you said I sounded dick after I read it back and I refuse to be another one of the dick's on these forums who disrespect everyone, negatives and drop sets are great to add in If your stagnant or hit a plateau, I lift alone so negatives are a No go for me

P

Prostarter8

Awards
Sorry man I wasn't trying to down what you said I sounded dick after I read it back and I refuse to be another one of the dick's on these forums who disrespect everyone, negatives and drop sets are great to add in If your stagnant or hit a plateau, I lift alone so negatives are a No go for me
Hey its cool man no worries but I do know what you mean about some of the guys on here. I understand being blunt with some of the newbies who haven't researched and just start taking things and doing stuff but some just go off lol

And yes if you don't have a partner never put yourself in that situation. I've fortunately saved a kids life who tried benching 135 and couldn't get it off his chest. Had to run back inside. Lol

T

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
i cant believe no one brought up deloading. i dont think theres a better way to pass a pateau than a good old deload. do 5/3/1, its a great program and offers a lot of customization

J

jwal

Awards
i cant believe no one brought up deloading. i dont think theres a better way to pass a pateau than a good old deload. do 5/3/1, its a great program and offers a lot of customization

Can you elaborate on that I'm not sure I know what that is? Or maybe I just know it by j different name

T

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Can you elaborate on that I'm not sure I know what that is? Or maybe I just know it by j different name
theres several ways to do it. wendlers 5/3/1 takes an entire week every month called a deload week where each exercise is 3 sets of 5 reps at 60-80% of 1rm. another way to delaod is lower your 5 rep max by about 20% and slowly work back up each week

the 5/3/1 book goes into better detail, im just trying to keep it short and simple