How Does One "Dry Out ??"

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
Just wondering .... How does one "dry out" - be it for a competition or otherwise ??

What are the methods, techniques, supplements, nutrient intake, etc ???

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
read up on them before you do because misuse can be fatal

vygah

vygah

Awards
Also anti-E, DHT, fiber, water intake. Also check foods, medicine, and supplements for water retention.

worm

worm

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different. I happen to dry out almost to much without even using diuretics. During your entire contest prep you should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day. A week before the show I start drinking two gallons a day. You will be peeing every hour. Then the day before the show I stop drinking water except small sips. After weigh ins that night I start eating carbs with very small sips of water. The carbs will help suck water out from under your skin and pull it into the muscle making you look drier and harder. Hope this helps. Works very well for me. Not sure how well it would work if your body fat is not super low however

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Dont mess with diuretics, thats how these bodybuilders die. It honestly comes down to being truly stage ready and not having fat left to lose. Cutting water is beyond dumb and will just make you look flat

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont mess with diuretics, thats how these bodybuilders die. It honestly comes down to being truly stage ready and not having fat left to lose. Cutting water is beyond dumb and will just make you look flat
You realize nearly everyone restricts water, right?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I cut water and was full as

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Reread my post

CUTTING WATER = no water intake what so ever

Obviously manipulating your water, potassium, sodium, carb, protein, and fat intake will produce the illusion you want but cutting any one of those things out is what is going to hurt your physique on stage

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just wondering .... How does one "dry out" - be it for a competition or otherwise ??

What are the methods, techniques, supplements, nutrient intake, etc ???
Sodium manipulation to peak for a competition.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reread my post

CUTTING WATER = no water intake what so ever

Obviously manipulating your water, potassium, sodium, carb, protein, and fat intake will produce the illusion you want but cutting any one of those things out is what is going to hurt your physique on stage
That may be your definition, but that doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone else. It's extremely common to go without water for a period of time to pull the water from subQ and into the muscle.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
That may be your definition, but that doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone else. It's extremely common to go without water for a period of time to pull the water from subQ and into the muscle.
No water intake will also pull water out of your muscles

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I guess everyone else has it wrong and you have it right then.
If your cutting out water completely then you clearly don't have a basic understanding of physiology

cutting water means you'll lose extracellular water, but to maintain homeostasis, you'll also lose intracellular water. The ratio of intracellular to extracellular ratio remains the same but now you've flattened out your physique

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your cutting out water completely then you clearly don't have a basic understanding of physiology

cutting water means you'll lose extracellular water, but to maintain homeostasis, you'll also lose intracellular water. The ratio of intracellular to extracellular ratio remains the same but now you've flattened out your physique
Who said cutting out water completely? Your entire premise is based on a presumption that isn't always the case. Yes, everyone goes without water for a period of time, but we're not talking cutting water to make weight levels of restriction. Carbs and electrolytes are generally still being consumed and they help to "pull" the extracellular to intracellular. Oh, and I have a Master's degree in Ex Phys/Kinesiology. You have to have a decent premise of physiology at that point.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Who said cutting out water completely? Your entire premise is based on a presumption that isn't always the case. Yes, everyone goes without water for a period of time, but we're not talking cutting water to make weight levels of restriction. Carbs and electrolytes are generally still being consumed and they help to "pull" the extracellular to intracellular. Oh, and I have a Master's degree in Ex Phys/Kinesiology. You have to have a decent premise of physiology at that point.
Reread the entire thread dude…lol

I clearly said that water manipulation is needed but cutting out water completely is not.

You stated " It's extremely common to go without water for a period of time"…you were supporting zero water intake which is not beneficial, you did not support water manipulation

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reread the entire thread dude…lol

I clearly said that water manipulation is needed but cutting out water completely is not.

You stated " It's extremely common to go without water for a period of time"…you were supporting zero water intake which is not beneficial, you did not support water manipulation
Actually, you said cutting water out completely first and then my response was restricting it. Everyone seems to be in agreement on this topic sans you and then you've strawman'd the rest. Whatever. You clearly know everything.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Agree with you Rodja, dude just wants to argue for the hell of it.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Guys use way more than just diuretics for drying. Plenty of anabolic drugs have a drying out effect. Have no idea why diuretics is the only thing being mentioned. It's weird

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys use way more than just diuretics for drying. Plenty of anabolic drugs have a drying out effect. Have no idea why diuretics is the only thing being mentioned. It's weird
Androgens are part of the cycle and are run for multiple weeks. Diuretics are what's used to actually dry out. Androgens help to reduce E2, which is a different kind of "drying out."

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Androgens are part of the cycle and are run for multiple weeks. Diuretics are what's used to actually dry out. Androgens help to reduce E2, which is a different kind of "drying out."
Is there really any point to using a diuretic if you aren't competing? I know prescription diuretics are a different ball game but what about natural diuretics?

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established
I went by Layne Norton on BB.com. Explains the water loading / depleting method very well.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saw the title and all I could think of is:

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By not limiting fluid intake. Those who always look best are never thirsty. Read articles by layne norton.

Mike

Drames

Awards
Yup this is a good base to do it via dietary means. Carb/sodium manipulation.
On board. Lots of misconception about water consumption. More needs to be understood about carb/ sodium intake

evodrag

Awards
If you achieve a completely shredded physique, you will appear dry and hard. Very misunderstood by most in this sport. You need water and some sodium for fullness and pump

john31

Awards
Are natural diuretics like dandelion, uva ursi, juniper and ones like that dangerous too?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are natural diuretics like dandelion, uva ursi, juniper and ones like that dangerous too?
They should be fine when dosed properly. Just make sure that you're actually lean enough and "stage ready" before the comp and you shouldn't need much, if anything, at all.

john31

Awards
Thanks for the information, I just want to make sure to look the best I possibly can when I step on stage

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, you need to hire a trainer for this. There are way to many variables to play around with.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How much time is necessary to dry out given that one is already lean? I always dry out when carb cycling but I've never intentionally tried to dry out as quickly or efficiently as I could.

ZedzGod

ZedzGod

Awards
Many different ways....get a trainer to stay safe.

yokedup

yokedup

Awards
You need someonw to help you timing this. The pulling water part etc is crucial.