Injuries and Age

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I never thought I'd see the day when I get injuries from simple things. Seems as if I get injured much more easliy as I get older and the injuries take so much longer to heal now. Excuse me if this seems like a rant...because it is...lol.

I injured my right rotator cuff during a charity football game against a combo team of the 49'ers and Raiders back in 1993. It took a while for it to heal, but it is good today. Well, two weeks ago, everything was going fine. I trained chest and just finished my sets on flat bench. I went to incline dumbells and kicked up the 120lb dumbells into position using my kness. I felt a slight twinge in my left shoulder. I finished my workout and later paid the price. My shoulder was sore as hell from the rotator cuff all the way down my bicep. So, I took two weeks off from lifting to heal up. I went into the gym yesterday, did some flat bench, but didn't go too heavy. I ended my sets with a set of 275 @ 8 reps. I went to the dumbells, started off light at 90lbs. As soon as I lowered the weights, the pain was there again, but even worse. I had to work around the pain. I couldn't even do skull crushers. I'm now living on advil...lol. I know if I go to a doc, they will xray, then MRI, then tell me to not lift, put me on an anti-inflamitory, maybe a painful cortisone shot, physical therapy, blah blah blah.

Sorry for the rant dude. It's just that I made some great gains this last bulk, only to go into PCT with an injury. Very annoying to say the least. Although I'm comfortable with my age and how I look, it just sucks how long it takes to heal now.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya.. Really.. And I'm not even comfortable with the way I feel and look.. I've been making slow improvements, but even when I'm careful, I still pick up injuries and lose time.. It's very frustrating...

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
So quit being a sissy and go have it checked. It might be something they can actually correct or work around. you can always go back to 'doing it your own way'. Yeah it will cost some bucks but at least you can quit guessing about what might or might not be wrong and adjust your life and workouts accordingly.

- OR -

Keep hitting it, tear it so totally you can even scratch your ear or lift your ** to pee.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
So quit being a sissy and go have it checked. It might be something they can actually correct or work around. you can always go back to 'doing it your own way'. Yeah it will cost some bucks but at least you can quit guessing about what might or might not be wrong and adjust your life and workouts accordingly.

- OR -

Keep hitting it, tear it so totally you can even scratch your ear or lift your ** to pee.
Whatever dude...I've had it checked previously. Sissy???...your comments are not appreciated.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Meant to be said light heartedly definitely no offense meant...dude.

hmmm do I still get to be a 'dude' at age 58.

I gues i'd say 'whatever' thanks for the offhand dismissive label.

Always nice to hear someone turn around and be insensitive when they don't get the 'you poor thing' response.

You put it out there for public view be accepting of any respose...good..bad..indifferent or in my case meant in light hearted comraderie from someone with torn up L. knee, reconstructed R. ankle, scoped l. rotator cuff, a back that has never been the same after 2 motorcycle crashes and a just plain old body.

That's my rant.

I'll leave you in peace.

good luck and good health.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Right on, I hear ya. It's hard to differentiate things in here at times. As far as "dude", that's just the way I talk and of course at 58 you get to be called a dude. If anything, you've earned more the right than most that are younger.

Respect bro...

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
After about 35 your HGH output goes down. This also means that IGF-1 goes down also. IF you take steroids you make your muscles grow, but tendons and ligaments fall behind muscle growth in strength even more after 35. Cissus, PGH-T, and Oratrophin is my tendon and ligament supplementation. I also take celardrin and glucosamine/chondroitin. This has been working well for me and I was injury prone. IGF-1 is great for tendons, but doesn’t help ligaments which HGH boost.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
This old "Dude" would gladly second the recommendation for Cissus and Celadrin as a non-surgical approach to repair. It worked for me and I now have about 95% of my normal RC functionality. I used high doses of the Cissus, capped myself, at around 9 to 10 ED. The Celadrin I used 2-3 ED. In two weeks I could work well with low weights/high reps and by 4 months I was back lifting heavy. I can now handle competition level BPs and Deads and never had to look back at the knife. Good Luck!!

bobi

Awards
At age 53 I have the same problems, knee, shoulder, neck, and back.

I have been considering giving in to age and changing the way I train. Cut back on the weights, and do more aerobic and core type exercises.

I have tried Cissus at the recomended dose of 2 per day, maybe I will try higher doses before making any drastic cahnges.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
First off everyone chill.
Second is I can relate Cuffs. I just started BJJ a few months ago and at 35 I am banging it with guy 10-15 yrs younger that look like Cap. America. I am sore all the time, with jammed fingers, dislocated toes. and inflamation of my elbows. But my knees are fine. :cheers:
So anyone elses got anything that would help with joint, tendon, and ligamant pain?

the Cardinal

Awards
First off everyone chill.
Second is I can relate Cuffs. I just started BJJ a few months ago and at 35 I am banging it with guy 10-15 yrs younger that look like Cap. America. I am sore all the time, with jammed fingers, dislocated toes. and inflamation of my elbows. But my knees are fine. :cheers:
So anyone elses got anything that would help with joint, tendon, and ligamant pain?
Consider trying this herbal alternative to NSAID's - a product called Zyflamend, by New Chapter. I was skeptical about it, but when I continued to experience pain in both my foot and shoulder, I tried it. Within twenty-four hours, I had pain relief for what seemed like the first time in ages. I kept taking it for a week, and I haven't had a recurrence of either foot or shoulder pain in over a month.

When you look at the ingredient profile, it's got some pretty solid anti-inflammation herbs like turmeric and oregano, among others.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Consider trying this herbal alternative to NSAID's - a product called Zyflamend, by New Chapter. I was skeptical about it, but when I continued to experience pain in both my foot and shoulder, I tried it. Within twenty-four hours, I had pain relief for what seemed like the first time in ages. I kept taking it for a week, and I haven't had a recurrence of either foot or shoulder pain in over a month.

When you look at the ingredient profile, it's got some pretty solid anti-inflammation herbs like turmeric and oregano, among others.[/QUOTe

Thanks Cardinal.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Zyflamend by New Chapter is good stuff.. It's helped my Wife with her knee problems.. She swears by it...

Parteeman

Awards
What has helped me at 40 with a full thickness tear of one of the rotator cuff muscles in my left shoulder is (i) ensuring that I don't drive my E too low with aromatase inhibitors, particularly suicide inhibitors, which can dry out your joints amazingly fast, (ii) HGH at 5-10 ius five days a week, (iii) glucosamine/chondroiton, and (iv) no "test only" stacks--always include either EQ or Deca or Var. I guarantee you with the foregoing combo, and an HST routine for a month or so, you'll be good to go, unless your rotator cuff tears are so bad you have an unstable joint. Then, surgery is the only way.

sidnee

Awards
"smarter than the weights" that what I tell my clients. The bottom line is you DONT recover as quickly as you age, change your training approach, increase your intensity w/o crushing your joints.

smblkolds

Awards
I laid the flat bench press to rest over 10 years ago along with behind the neck press and pulldowns. Almost 40 years old now. All db's for chest and even then, I don't go much below parallel (upper arms to floor). Declines have been a worthwhile addition. I'm thinking about trying fish oil suplements. Hurting your shoulder sucks and really limits all upper body training to an extent. When it happens to me (it still does once in a while when I'm a little sloppy on form), I get pissed off and take it out on another bodypart. Last time it was biceps with heavy preachers and it brought my arms up a bit. One time it was heavy leg presses and calves, legs grew. Thats how I try to handle it anyway. Hope it helps.

size

Awards
  • Established
Forget about flat bench, it now should only be a memory.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established

When you look at the ingredient profile, it's got some pretty solid anti-inflammation herbs like turmeric and oregano, among others.
I just started taking Anabolic Pump from USPLabs. It contains Phellodendron and has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. It's the most potent of any herb I've tried.

noviceiron

Awards
Although it has been a while since I had an injury to my shoulder... I have had some lower back and... possibly closer related, ankle sprains. With my most recent back injury my Dr. gave me some meds he had in the office. It was called meloxicam. I used one yesterday and it seemed to ease the pain in my back. More important to you probably, is that at 3:30AM when I had to get up to take a leak, I didn't limp to the bathroom because my ankles were stiff.

I did some research on this stuff and they give it to folks with arthritis... possibly ask your Dr. about it. Although it has only been one day, I like the way it makes my joints feel.