Don’t get any stronger

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
Sitting here on the ***** selectorized leg press because I cut my squat workout short. I love training but am not getting stronger. Doing 5/3/1 @ 43 years old. I eat Okay, sleep okay. I used to be strong in my 20’s. Stopped lifting for a while. Have been consistent for 3 years now and have made marginal progress. I take SSRIS because I’m crazy.

Any thoughts?

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My guess would be that the main culprit is not eating enough especially make sure you get in enough carbs and protein. Also, 5/3/1 is a good plateau buster or change of pace, but if you've been doing it for a while without challenging yourself, your progress will stall I guess that's true of any program though. Try either 8/5/3/1/1 with the weight you currently use or keeping it at 5/3/1 but adding just 2.5's to the bar and then upping that to 5's after about 3 weeks. If you give that a try and dial in your diet with a little more precision and you're still not getting results after a month or two, it may not be a bad idea to go get a physical with blood work to make sure nothing is out of whack.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve always liked a 10/8/6 rep scheme with 3-4 exercises per body part. Really works well with a good training partner who will push you. Diet is key man.

Thefatbloke

Awards
  • Established
Periodise your rep ranges. It could also be just to small a training volume