Low DHEA

avgjoe_uk

Awards
Hi guys

Long time reader, first post here...

Had some bloodwork done recently and while most of it seemed OK, DHEA came across a little low.

DHEAS came in at 5.080 umol/L (187.18 ug/dl). According to Life Extension (can't post link at the moment due to restrictions), the optimal range should be 400 - 500 ug/DL, which means I'm some way off.

Is it worth supplementing? I am 40, male - in reasonably good shape. 5' 7 and around 140 lbs. I don't know if I should even explore pregnenolone. I do take KSM66 to help out with stress/cortisol

Ironically, I looked back at an earlier test from 2015 and it was around 270 ug/dl. So it's dropped even further - there have been some stressful family and job issues in this time though.

If supplementation is an option, is topical better than oral? And, do I need to worry about these estrogen issues that I often read about on forums?

Thanks for reading!

avgjoe_uk

Awards
Thanks - what dose were you taking? And, did you have any bloodwork done?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks - what dose were you taking? And, did you have any bloodwork done?
Was taking 25 mg per day. This is a graph of my DHEA-S from MyBloodTracker IOS app. You can see that level is rising but not optimized:
IMG_4268.JPG

avgjoe_uk

Awards
Thanks - thats very interesting to see. I see there's an uptick in DHT too? I'm thinking of trying Dermacrine instead of tablets

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks - thats very interesting to see. I see there's an uptick in DHT too? I'm thinking of trying Dermacrine instead of tablets
I’d love to try Dermacrine as well. I hate taking capsules and like the idea of a transdermal. I’m getting bloodwork on DHEA this week. I think I’ll experiment with Dermacrine and see where bloodwork level goes.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
to DHEA or not?

Old studies were scary... scarmongering perhaps... then some peole say they ended up in hospital with chest pains and damaged left ventrical... whats the REAL lowdown.

Another 2006 study showed complete opposite and that it was necessary for all aging health

So confusing

NAO1255

NAO1255

Banned
Awards
to DHEA or not?

Old studies were scary... scarmongering perhaps... then some peole say they ended up in hospital with chest pains and damaged left ventrical... whats the REAL lowdown.

Another 2006 study showed complete opposite and that it was necessary for all aging health

So confusing
The same with any ProHormone or steroid precursor; possible E2 conversion from DHEA. Would be the concern. Maybe some minor effects on GABA or Serotonin Receptors; which might promote Anxiety in sensitive individuals.