What is the RIGHT testosterone level?

goldwinger63

Awards
I have been doing TRT injectable therapy for months now. In talking with several different healthcare pros, the suggested numbers are all over the board in terms of proper levels and it is very confusing for me. When I started I was at 242 and got it up to 932 within a few months. I have been told everything from "that is way too high" to "bumping you to 1200" would be good. It seems to me that the number should be proceeded by how I am feeling but not sure. I have seen PA's, and endocrinologist, an MD and next week going to see a D.O. to further confuse my situation. Any suggestions out there? I am 55 yrs old and intend on long term use as it makes a big difference in my life. I dont want to get crazy just try and lean out, and maintain a good energy level. Thanks in advance for any info!!!

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing TRT injectable therapy for months now. In talking with several different healthcare pros, the suggested numbers are all over the board in terms of proper levels and it is very confusing for me. When I started I was at 242 and got it up to 932 within a few months. I have been told everything from "that is way too high" to "bumping you to 1200" would be good. It seems to me that the number should be proceeded by how I am feeling but not sure. I have seen PA's, and endocrinologist, an MD and next week going to see a D.O. to further confuse my situation. Any suggestions out there? I am 55 yrs old and intend on long term use as it makes a big difference in my life. I dont want to get crazy just try and lean out, and maintain a good energy level. Thanks in advance for any info!!!
The range used by labs, like LabCorp, are developed using average guys who do not lift heavy weights (I know because they have exclusions for heavy lifters) and basically are typical of let's say an accountant who does zero exercise. The range also does not take into account external injections of testosterone. Doctors try to stay within "range" but it's not really "the" range. Since injections contain esters, esters which cleave off at unpredictable rates, and because your body isn't controlling the amount of test, then you have to apply common sense to the levels. If my body produced 6000 ng/dL then there would be a huge problem. But when I add ASS and get blood work done and I get 6000ng/dL, I shrug it off and kind of laugh. In five days those levels will come down to maybe 900ng/dL. So what's the right range? Easy...Take a certain dose, like 400mgs per week for a month. Then check all your vitals, meaning bloodwork, blood pressure and see what's going on. If your panel is good (and you need to know how to read them, because you need to understand the relationship between E2 and SHBG, AST/ALT, FSH, LH, E2 and so on) then your test levels are good. It's not the static test levels but the whole picture and if your blood panel is good at 6000ng/dL, then you have nothing to worry about.

goldwinger63

Awards
Thanks for that Detroit, how would I go about learning how to read the panels? What is your opinion about testosterone/HCG/anastrozole as a protocol?

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for that Detroit, how would I go about learning how to read the panels? What is your opinion about testosterone/HCG/anastrozole as a protocol?
In regards to reading the blood panel, there are many guys here who can read them well and can help you if you post them. Over time you'll learn what to watch for. If you don't get the feedback you're looking for, post them on the Old School Hormone section and you'll get good, quality feedback.

You're on TRT, so HCG and Adex are good. I'd take 250iu of HCG twice a week, one the day before your next injection. Arimidex is really as-needed, so you may not need it. If I'm cruising at 200mgs a week, my E2 is around 18, so I don't need it. Find out where you are on your E2 and then decide if you really need to take Arimidex. My guess is you won't need it, but have it on hand just in case.

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established
Anything between 600-1200 is probably where you want to be. Like mentioned above, watch your cholesterol as exogenous test will drop hdl and raise ldl dose dependently.

Personally, I like 125-150mg a week for trt/health, as I feel like a million bucks and have almost zero side effects aside from slightly lowered hdl.

If you are going to use hcg, do 250iu with every shot of test. As far as aromatase inhibitors go, don't use it unless estrogen levels are too high. And if you do use it, make sure your estrogen levels stay above 10ng/dl. It's a trial and error thing, so you will need several sets of blood work to determine optimal dose.

Hope that helps you...

GregJ

Awards
I supplement with Androderm 4mg per day. I'm 66yrs old. My doc says my test level is "9". What does that mean, given the numbers I see here in the thousands?

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I supplement with Androderm 4mg per day. I'm 66yrs old. My doc says my test level is "9". What does that mean, given the numbers I see here in the thousands?
My honest guess is that he's being facetious and is saying you're a 9 out of 10.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
If it was me i would go by what feels good rather than a number. Quality of life is what you want rather than an arbitrary quantification of whats going on. If you feel great at 450 and are healthy then why mess with it? It's better than 1500 and bloated, lethargic and hypertensive...even if you are strong and low body fat.

jcam

Awards
Different labs use different tests, so you can't always compare lab to lab. You need the reference range from the lab. One lab might say 300-600 is the reference range, and give you a number based on that (say 550 so you'd be on the high end of the range). Another might give you a range of 6-20 (and you get a 9 so you'd be on the low end of the range). As mentioned above, reference ranges aren't always the best. They're usually the average amount for people that got tested at the lab. So you're being compared against the general population. If the general population is a bunch of unhealthy fat people...

TattooYou

TattooYou

Banned
Awards
A lot of good feedback here. At 66, I would guess your goal is overall health and well being and that any trt would be to maintain a healthy, midrange of testosterone, regardless of the lab normal ranges. I've had levels as high as 4100 which felt great and bad at the same time and as low as 68 which felt terrible. I find a range between 500-700 is optimal for most fitness goals and the impact on your CBC, hematocrit, and lipid panel is reasonable and manageable with attention to proper nutrition and aerobic exercise vital. At 66, a weekly dose of 150-250 ml (cyp or maybe t-prop) would likely suffice, however labs at 3 or 6 month intervals would be prudent to review health and manage side effects. Although there is still disagreement over the reliability of raw PSA values, labs at 3-6 month intervals should include a PSA test to ensure your PSA and PSA velocity is within age specific normal ranges.