Zero to Hero - Fat loss Journey

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hi guys, just thought id make use of this forum as a log for myself and others.

Background

Was an athletic kid into sports and other activities up until i was confined to a wheelchair for the first half of my teenage life due to a rare bone condition which needed correction. After this i was obese in every sense of the word, and was severely depressed, anyone whos been there will know that food is your best friend when your down right? Wrong !

This behaviour continued until i was around 18 and amounted me to being 320lbs + (scales didnt weigh any higher) and a 54 inch waist. I then joined a gym and through ECA, starvation and extreme cardio (4 hours a time) in 9 months i had dropped to 169lbs and looked like i had an illness.

The rebuild began there, but due to certain circumstances last year including illness and deaths the depression and anxiety state from my teens paid me a visit right at my physical peak and muscle mass aside, i feel like im back where i started...fat !!! :whiner:

Now

So i order bobo's weight loss plan, after trying many other diets including other such tailored ones. I spent so much on supplements last year to try and overcome my depression, to use as a substitute for not being able to train at 100% i figure this sum of money is nothing compared to that which i poured down the drains last year.

Since Jan 1st (cliche i know) ive been utterly determined, nothing which could be considered a dirty food has passed my lips and training has been hit with 110% intensity.

First impressions on Bobo and the plan

Speedy responses every time i email the guy, despite being in different time zones he always seems to be there :blink: and always extremely professional in his manner.

The programme has shocked me (i had a feeling it would) i am currently weighing around 283lbs and the plan advocates approx 4k of kcals a day :food: im trying to get my head around eating THAT much to lose weight.

That aside i start officially in a weeks time but i will be implementing the weight training this week to get affiliated.

Here we go !!

Grounded

Awards
And he's off...

O-hero,

You have hit the "jack pot" hiring Bobo. Follow that plan to a T then give Bobo good feedback. He'll adjust to suit.

You sound like you have the motavation to "do it". Dedication O-hero, dedication. With that dedication you are going to look back at this day a year from now and be amazed at what you've accomplished.

:bb:

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
the plan advocates approx 4k of kcals a day :food: im trying to get my head around eating THAT much to lose weight.
Yeah, I had some difficulty with that (and the food choices) when I saw the initial plan. It didn't look like a fat loss program, but I can't argue with the results!

Good luck.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Food choices for the most part are going to be rather generic at first....its mainly to establish a reference point and consistency.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Good luck you hired the right man for the job. You can't go wrong with a philly guy.:D

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I should clarify, I meant the variety of food choices. For example, I always believed that dairy products were a "no-no" during a cut. Bobo certainly BBQ'd that Sacred Cow!

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Although my programme doesnt officially start till sunday i thought id give one of the workouts a try today.

I like to think i have good form with movements but never given any thought to rep timing i.e. bobos ratios and must say it was somewhat a shock to the system, it absolutly ruined me.

3:2 on preacher curls was an absolute killer, 2:2 on arnold press wasent so bad, weights dropped considerably for me to get used to the timings. Then 30mins on the bike finished me off.

I was sweating buckets, i can see how this is geared toward fatloss already.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First day of routine

Ok woke up feeling ILL !!! Its been going around for a month now, everyones had it except me, thankfully i dont think its the bed-bound flu the family has had but im not 100%.

Diet and Supplementation

Supplementation has been spot on (vits) and greent tea powder, diet again has been accurate to the last macro, however i found it extremely hard to eat all the food on the plan so ended up blending a lot of the stuff and chucking it down, including 3 wholemeal breads PWO lol.

Everyone around me keeps commenting on the food im buying / consuming "how are you gonna lose weight on that" etc, really pissing me off. :rant:

Workout

Bench press dumbell 26kg 8,8,8 (2:2 Ratio)
Seated decline hammerstrength 30kg 8,8,8 (2:2 Ratio)
Tricep pushdown [Chain] 10kg 10,10,10 (2:2 Ratio)
Tricep pushdown [V Bar] 20kg 8,8,8 (3:1 Ratio)
Decline Ab crunches 12,12,12 (3:2 Ratio)

Workout time - 54 minutes.

All in all felt look a good first day, had severe cramps in the pecs though driving home, havent had that since i used to bench for 1RM over a year ago.

Looking forward to my date with the iron again tomorrow.

P.S - it is humbling dropping the weight so much to get the ratios down but man, what a pump ! :fool2:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Everyone around me keeps commenting on the food im buying / consuming "how are you gonna lose weight on that" etc, really pissing me off. :rant:

:lol:

Hell, you might not the first week. But this is long term, not some trendy half ass crash diet that will die 6 weeks from now ;)

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys still around but have been mega busy this week with uni, work, the gf etc !

Diet and workouts have not suffered atall though, both have been nearly 100% (i missed a meal one day, fell asleep). :think:

Workouts are extreme, have been sick / nearly sick on a number of occassions, especially on groups like legs and biceps. Have been consuming around 1-1.5 gallons of water a day and supplementation of vits and mins has been accurate.

The odd craving here and there but nothing to write home about, dont think ill have a cheat meal as such tonight feelings a bit run down and constantly tired (getting 8-9hours sleep).

Weigh in day tomorrow. :sad:

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Dread Weigh In (duh duh derrrrrrr):saw:

I woke up this morning feeling almost psychotic clutching the weighing scales underarm, making sure i released as much fluid as possible before hand ! :blink:

Its been a hard week, changing my eating habits so radically, to a state of eating even nutritionally 'cleaner' then when i was in excellent shape, now what seems a lifetime ago !

Anyway....

Previous Weeks Weight - 289lbs

Current Weight - 288lbs

No change in Waist measurement

I can honestly say ive stuck to this diet fully, infact the WHOLE routine like a religion so bobo and anyone else, is this normal? or am i doing badly?

thanks guys, any input appreciated.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
from what I've seen it takes about 3 weeks for your metabolism to really start slamming.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can honestly say ive stuck to this diet fully, infact the WHOLE routine like a religion so bobo and anyone else, is this normal? or am i doing badly?

thanks guys, any input appreciated.
There is no normal and no you aren't doing badly at all.

You can't be so paranoid about stepping on a scale. The scale doesn't even come close to telling you the whole story.

You need to look at the mirror (before and after shots), take measurements of your arms, chest, etc....you are going to find that even though you don't lose much weight sometimes that your muscle growth is up, fat loss has increased and you stayed the same weight!! Fat loss STARTS from the outside in...extremities first, core second so the last place you will see it is in your waist. First to go on, last to come off.

If you gauge a whole week by a scale, you are going to drive yourself nuts. Some people will drop a lot of weight, some people actually have GAINED weight...its different for everyone and really, one week in a diet is such a small amount of time....

So now you can go tell your friends that eating ALL that food was actually lower than your caloric maintenance because you did lose a 1lb and probably gained LBM. This is a marathon, not a sprint and cutting calories too fat would have you stall completely 4 weeks in.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I measured my waist there is no chance, ill measure all other parts cold tomorrow morning.

thanks for the comments guys.

There is no normal and no you aren't doing badly at all.

You can't be so paranoid about stepping on a scale. The scale doesnt even come close to telling you the whole story.

You need to look at the mirror, take measurements of your arms, chest, legs, waist, etc....you are going to find that even though you don't lose much weight sometimes that your muscle growth is up, fat loss has increased and you stayed the same weight!!

If you gauge a whole week by a scale, you are going to drive yourself nuts. Some people will drop a lot of weight, some people actually have GAINED weight...its different for everyone and really, one week in a diet is such a small amount of time....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I measured my waist there is no chance, ill measure all other parts cold tomorrow morning.

thanks for the comments guys.
Read the edit I put in. Its the last place to come off.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, we're about the same weight, man. Race you to 250! Good luck to you, hopefully we can both get the waist size down...patience.... :thumbsup:

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
You can't be so paranoid about stepping on a scale. The scale doesn't even come close to telling you the whole story.

You need to look at the mirror (before and after shots), take measurements of your arms, chest, etc....you are going to find that even though you don't lose much weight sometimes that your muscle growth is up, fat loss has increased and you stayed the same weight!! Fat loss STARTS from the outside in...extremities first, core second so the last place you will see it is in your waist. First to go on, last to come off.

SOOO true. Tape and mirror tell more than the scales ever could. And I used to worry, holding my breath in that time between stepping on the scales and the figure coming up.

Does Bobo still have that last line in at the end of everyone's program? ''We will get you the results that you want''. He aint lying!

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys thankyou for all the words of encouragement.

Sitting here feeling sorry for myself because i have a cold and tonsilitus coming (which im prone to).

Going for a food allergy test this week as something in my diet isnt agreeing with me atall.

Also guys getting REALLY bad constipation, i know this is probably due to the 400g + of protein im consuming but i thought the mega dosing VitC and 1.5 gallons of water a day would help it.

It hasent, so any tips on how to sort this out?

P.S thanks for the revised meal plan Mr B.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its the fiber. Its subsides after a while. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water. Protein won't cause constipation..in fact its quite the opposite.

I'm not surprised considering what you we're eating. You're body is bascially being shocked back into reality...

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bobo what to do if your ill?

Ive been put on anti biotics today for tonsilitus so because imnot training due to the fever should i eat less?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't even worry about the plan. Get well first, then worry about training/diet.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
You're body is bascially being shocked back into reality...
thats a funny thought! shocking your bod with a diet so much so that your butt shuts down for the day. on that note, I'm crapping like a rabbit, 2-3 times a day, in know TMI

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well the anti b's finally started taking effect today im on 500mg of Erythromycin 4x a day and fever has subsided but i still cant swallow very well.

Diets been **** to be blunt, ive been eating what i can when i can but there hasent been anything really bad or unclean in there which im quite happy with.

Should be back training sat or sun.

On a side note, bobo do you think my immune system picked this up due to the intense routine?

Should i up my vits, or add something else in? I really dont fancy getting this again.

Come on Mr B i know you have some immune boosting tricks in that clowns back of yours !

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
On a side note, bobo do you think my immune system picked this up due to the intense routine?
Considering you felt ill before you even started training, I would say no.

Plus your immune system doesn't weaken that fast.

What you are taking is already good for the immune system....vitamin C and zinc. Other than that, its just time. You have to wait it out.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well its been almost a week but was finally able to eat properly on sunday, so go back on course with the diet.

Still on anti biotics but getting plenty of rest and feeling better but very weak, will start workouts wednesday.

I have around 3 months before my Prom (finish my degree) to get my ass in semi decent shape.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just take your time getting back into the groove. You will fell weaker, energy will be leave you quick and workouts overall will be tougher. Just don't go nuts and ease back into it :)

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Feel 100% as of yesterday and today (legs and biceps)

Been working out since wednesday in some shape, kept the cardio up and the diet has been spot on.

Endurance is a big problem for me in the workouts still, ive been training with explosive reps for so long the ratios kill me.

Bobo say im intending to do 8 reps 3:2 ratio on say hammer curls, but i can only physically manage 6 at that ratio. Should i leave it at 6, or squeeze another 2 out anyway i can.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Feel 100% as of yesterday and today (legs and biceps)

Been working out since wednesday in some shape, kept the cardio up and the diet has been spot on.

Endurance is a big problem for me in the workouts still, ive been training with explosive reps for so long the ratios kill me.

Bobo say im intending to do 8 reps 3:2 ratio on say hammer curls, but i can only physically manage 6 at that ratio. Should i leave it at 6, or squeeze another 2 out anyway i can.
Drop the weight, do 8 :)

The next set you might not be able to do 8. Just remember that the next time and drop it on that set. Always try to complete the number of reps and if you have to drop the weight, go for it.

With you being sick and endurance being a problem, its going to take you some time to get used to it. Its not a problem.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
had a good session today felt strong, once again diet and supplementation has been spot on, just finished my last meal of the day before bed.

Only one problem, my throat is sore as hell again. I dont know what the problem is, im not usually this ill, this frequently.

Sipping 5g's of Vit C and echinacea as i type, hoping and praying im not ill again this week.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I told you, if you are sick, DON'T TRAIN.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
okok i didnt get ill after all.

But i have been training balls to the wall:aargh:

diet has been 100% this past week apart from i didnt have a cheat meal on saturday night, didnt fancy anything so just had some extra salmon.

Cardio has also been solid, also had a 3 hour steel gurder lifting session last week up 4 flights of stairs, hell of a back, leg and forearm workout :whip:

So weigh in day today, no weight loss with a 0.25" loss on the waist, all other measurements remain the same apart from a 0.2" increase in quads.

Thoughts Bobo?

Also a few other things,

1. The 3 slices of bread pre and post workout on their own are becomming very challenging, would it be ok to replace them with another carb source such as oats?
  2. What is your advice for a lagging bodypart, one of my arms is nearly 1 inch smaller than the other, apart from using dumbells only, is there anything else i can do?
  3. Would the routine im currently on suffice for a lean bulk? In reference to the resistance work.
Just an observation but since i purchased the sustained release vitamin C (1g at a time) im nowhere near as run down / prone to getting ill. May be a placebo effect but who knows :cool:

I will admit however that given this is my 4th week (i think) and my time with you is nearly over, i am to say at the least disheartened at the progress with my prom creeping ever closer.

Im not placing blame anywhere so dont misunderstand, but ive been giving 110% to this... it just seems my body responds to nothing but T3 for weigh loss. (Ive had bloodwork done many times, all came back normal).

Im at a loss. :whiner:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Umm...your waist is down, legs are bigger but your weight is the same. It means LBM growth and fat loss. It means you have to drop more calories for pure weight loss.

And whats with this didn't get ill after all?

1. Yes, doing it now.

2. No, nothing you can do while cutting.

3. With some changes, yes.

Of course you are disheartened. You've been sick and on antibiotics. What did you expect to happen? You waist measurement is down, legs are up which means you are burning fat and gaining LBM for now. Thats how dieting works...some people lose just pure weight fast, some people need to have time to figure out what their calorie range is and considering you've been sick for a while its almost impossible to do especially when I don't want you training because nothing will happen when you're sick. You had over a week where nothing should have changed since you we're sick. In fact, you've probably should have gained weight with the layoff. Diet changes have been made.

I would like to see some before and after pics as well because with your recomp the mirror is going to tell more of the story until you get to that point where you are dropping 2lb/week.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Umm...your waist is down, legs are bigger but your weight is the same. It means LBM growth and fat loss. It means you have to drop more calories for pure weight loss.

And whats with this didn't get ill after all?

I said in the above post that i felt ill (again) and you said dont train, so i missed out one sessions and therun down feeling went away. :thumbsup:

1. Yes, doing it now.

Received and thankyou !

2. No, nothing you can do while cutting.

Bugger, thought as much

Ok cool, i only ask as a guy i know wants to start training with me and i wondered if he could follow my routine, however he is lean bulking.

Of course you are disheartened. You've been sick and on antibiotics. What did you expect to happen? You waist measurement is down, legs are up which means you are burning fat and gaining LBM for now. Thats how dieting works...some people lose just pure weight fast, some people need to have time to figure out what their calorie range is and considering you've been sick for a while its almost impossible to do especially when I don't want you training because nothing will happen when you're sick. You had over a week where nothing should have changed since you we're sick. In fact, you've probably should have gained weight with the layoff. Diet changes have been made.

I would like to see some before and after pics as well because with your recomp the mirror is going to tell more of the story until you get to that point where you are dropping 2lb/week.
Thanks for the lengthy input Erin.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Just an observation but since i purchased the sustained release vitamin C (1g at a time) im nowhere near as run down / prone to getting ill. May be a placebo effect but who knows :cool:
People say that vit C is rubbish for preventing colds, etc, but I'm with you. When my throat has become a little scratchy, I take a lttle extra and it seems to work. Disappears right away.:thumbsup:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the lengthy input Erin.
I just want you to have a realistic perspective on this. I could care less about the time frame you have in regards to your plan. I will keep you on until you start seeing the results you want. If 8 weeks isn't enough, then we go longer...I won't just cut you off after 8 weeks and say good luck ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Ok cool, i only ask as a guy i know wants to start training with me and i wondered if he could follow my routine, however he is lean bulking.
The routines are similar. The ratios are different and the way the diet is planned out in terms of off days and calories is different.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cant stop long guys been a hectic week due to university and work but training and diet hasent suffered too much.

Mondays weigh in resulted in a 4lbs lost, t shirts fit better no doubt, so do coats however my waist still hasent budged.

My gym is shut till tuesday now due to easter hols, so ill do cardio instead.

Im limiting myself to one easter egg this sunday :smite:

Ready for another dreaded weigh in this coming monday.

Overall im happy with my upper body recomp, not so with my lower.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overall im happy with my upper body recomp, not so with my lower.
Its the last to have any major changes. Fat loss occurs form the outside in..meaning extremities first, core last.

An example: I'm down 14lbs, my waist has moved an inch.