Why is my body fighting against ketosis?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok, so I’m not new to keto. Been doing it on and off(mostly on) for about 4 years, which is what makes this so puzzling.

I went off last summer to bulk up a bit. Back on in November. I’m down 32lbs and 6 inches on my waist. Took a trip for a few days to New Orleans a couple weeks ago and broke ketosis. I cannot get back in.

I got back on the palumbo cut diet when I got back home, which I’d been following before and had no issues. 9 days of that, no ketosis. It usually takes me 3 days to get in. I change my mealplan to get down to 20g of carbs instead of the 47ish the palumbo diet had. I’m on day 5 of that, still no ketosis by either the blood meter or urine strips. Actually, I did some cardio last night and the strips briefly showed ketosis, but that was gone when I got up this morning, though the blood meter registered .5 putting me .1 shy of ketosis. Measured tonight at .3, piss strips negative.

I should also mention, I took drastic measures today and drank bulletproof coffee for 3 of my meals, so all I had today was 3 cups bulletproof coffee, a couple strips of back, a couple bites of gyro meat, and a ribeye steak.

WTF am I not in ketosis?

To be clear, I’m weighing my food and counting everything. I’m not adding bbq sauce or ketchup, and not counting it. I’m not an idiot.

Also, the scale is still moving and improvement is showing in the mirror, so part of me doesn’t really care that I’m not in ketosis. After all, ketosis is a tool/method, not the actual goal. But, this doesn’t make any sense and it’s starting to make me mad.

Anyone got any ideas?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
After a few days of getting down and dirty- skipping meals in favor of bulletproof coffee- I'm finally in ketosis. Reading was .6 out of bed this morning, then 1.3 pwo. I did 57 minutes of LISS cardio just before bed last night, so I'd hoped that would pushed me over the edge, Apparently it did. I still don't understand why it took so much extra this time.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Even with pretty good “keto” macros my blood ketones are between .3 to .6. The same foods (just less of them) my wife’s ketones are easily over 1 at all times. Mine only went that high when my protein was at 70 grams per day with 200 grams fat lol. But, I feel fantastic, never hungry, and losing fat easily so I’m going with that I’m in ketosis.

The other thing I’ve seen mentioned is perhaps for some of us better conditioned/efficient/whatever, we may not have as much ketones leftover in our blood. Such as glucose in our blood is the leftover not being used, perhaps the same with ketones? Maybe there’s a “ketone sensitivity” pathway like insulin sensitivity that we don’t know about yet.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had this issue when I tried to get into keto. Some people just have a harder time getting into ketosis and staying in it.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
.5 is considered nutritional ketosis. Also, times not to test: in the morning, after any meal, or after any sweet drink, even if it is calorie free.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Also urine strips are not very accurate.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So test 2 to 3 hours after a meal in the afternoon.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I had this issue when I tried to get into keto. Some people just have a harder time getting into ketosis and staying in it.
Thats the thing though. Im not new to ketosis. Been on it on and off for 4 years. Back on in november, just broke it for a few days for a trip. I have NEVER had this sorta issue.

I was back in ketosis beginning of the week. Changed absolutely nothing in my eating and by thursday night i was out again.

This is madness.

I see no reason to continue eating this way and not be in ketosis. Energy is lacking and gym performance is suffering a bit, and i never have that issue in ketosis. Im giving it a couple more days but then thats it for a while.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I see no reason to continue eating this way and not be in ketosis. Energy is lacking and gym performance is suffering a bit, and i never have that issue in ketosis. Im giving it a couple more days but then thats it for a while.
You told me this months ago via email and I told you to just ditch keto.
If it is not working for you, and all aspects are not helping you (suboptimal gym performance, and energy) Stop continuing a practice that does not suit you
Just because its a lifestyle that does not aid your training or everyday mood/energy does not mean you have to follow it.

Take a step back for a minute.
Re-Read what you just wrote above. If that does not raise a redflag you must be too stubborn to recognize your own issues.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You told me this months ago via email and I told you to just ditch keto.
If it is not working for you, and all aspects are not helping you (suboptimal gym performance, and energy) Stop continuing a practice that does not suit you
Just because its a lifestyle that does not aid your training or everyday mood/energy does not mean you have to follow it.

Take a step back for a minute.
Re-Read what you just wrote above. If that does not raise a redflag you must be too stubborn to recognize your own issues.
I get what youre saying and dont disagree, but i got through it last time. And there were a couple other factors at play too. I just dont get what the deal is. And sure, maybe im being stubborn, but im also trying to figure it out. Either way, im done with it after tomorrow.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are your macros? Let’s just see to make sure....

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are your macros? Let’s just see to make sure....
Going from memory, roughly 210g fat, 170p, 22c. Meals are 6 eggs with 1T butter, 4 chicken thighs(w skin), coffee w 2T butter and 1T mct oil, and a 10-12oz ribeye for dinner.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You may not need that much protein. How much do you weigh? You only need 1.5g per kg tops while true keto. I also never benefited from mct oil and bulletproof coffee or anything. I prefer to let my body produce the ketones instead of an artificial source like mct or exogenous ketones.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You may not need that much protein. How much do you weigh? You only need 1.5g per kg tops while true keto. I also never benefited from mct oil and bulletproof coffee or anything. I prefer to let my body produce the ketones instead of an artificial source like mct or exogenous ketones.
I had no trouble maintaining ketosis on the palumbo cut diet which had me at like 225p and 120f.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh and im 200lbs.