Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??

mc1

Awards
I work out without a partner and so I end up sometimes having to ask for a spot from random people in the gym. I also keep a careful log of my lifts, both weights and rest intervals. Why is it so hard to find someone to spot you without touching the fucking bar!!? I even tell them, "don't give me any help unless I am completely stuck", and they still grab the damn bar at the first sign of me struggling a bit, slowing reps, etc. It pisses me off because I feel like my whole set is wasted, I have no idea if I made progress that week. Anybody else have this problem? Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?
Unless it's crushing my skull don't touch the F*CKING bar please. :D

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
"If you touch the bar before I say OK, I'll break my foot off in your asshole. Now spot me, and do it right ya fuckin whore-bitch."

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some people are stupid and want you to help you do reps, like that actually does anything.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.

mc1

Awards
Originally posted by scotty2
I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.
huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by mc1

huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?
Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. :)

mc1

Awards
Originally posted by jweave23

Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. :)
to me this sounds like a light spot, i often spot with just 2 fingers. you shouldn't need more than that.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. :)
[/QUOTE

thats exactly it. when you know you have someone there for support, the mentality you have going into a set is that much stronger. no doubt. I work and train at nyu's gym and i have several dudes who stiff-arm other co-workers approaching them to spot them to ask me for a spot (to hype myself up here...ha). A good spotter cant be overlooked. Sage

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off
ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established

ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.
I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face. :D

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seldom use a spotter for all those reasons. Only on benches when I go up in weight. And like WD and Jweave, I only want a 2 finger spot.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established

I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face. :D
I'm just ashamed I didnt think of this myself..but after I got thru with him I dont think he's gonna spot me anymore. :D :p

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Best Method for Spotting

Actually the best method for spotting is Arnolds (I think he said it in Pumping Iron)...when your w/o partner starts his lift, just tell him to call you when he's finished, you'll be up front..heh:D :D

baham99

Awards
hey, how 'bout doin the negative spot from YJ's article on a random guy next time. *That'll* suprise somebody.