Why do some consumers stock pile supplements...??

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I just want to hear from some of you out there why you guys stock pile like 5+ bottles of a supplement (not because its on sale)?

I see some people with pictures of like 20 bottles of something because it was just released.

Let me know.........why do you stockpile like 2K in sups?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never stokepiled in that amount but i've done it for various reasons.

1. You never know when a supp will stay in circulation. A lot will change over time and supposedly get better when you read the label but the inverse is true. Legal reasons are a good reason on some of the more 'cutting edge' types.

2. Money... Sometimes you have enough money at the time and a good enough deal that allows for large purchases.

3. Buying in bulk to save on shipping.

4. Buying for friends.

Those are my personal reasons for buying more than I would need at any given time.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I do it because sometimes they change the formula between "runs" of the product. And with the ban getting ready to go into effect I will be doing some stockpiling.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually make quarterly orders and I always buy multiples or large bulks of items. That being said, I have never bought 5 bottles of something as soon as it was released. Outside of the basics, I have rarely bought 5 of anything.

Cool

Cool

Awards
  • Established
Obsession. Compulsion. Materialism.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like to plan ahead so I will order my supps well in advance and then somentimes due to a change in plans I can sometimes end up with quite a bit of extra. I am better at this now I don't order as far ahead now

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I get PM's of people saying "Im ordering 5 bottles of X product, and 4 bottles of Y product"........to use for a winter bulk, how should I stack them.

I sometimes think, "winter bulk.....its June." Thats with no sale pricing on anything.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get PM's of people saying "Im ordering 5 bottles of X product, and 4 bottles of Y product"........to use for a winter bulk, how should I stack them.

I sometimes think, "winter bulk.....its June." Thats with no sale pricing on anything.
Yah that's really planning ahead. The problem when you plan too far ahead is what if you change your mind.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know of several people who want to plan that far out to make sure they have everything on hand with no chance of a full stacked cycle getting interupted by unforeseen events... Money, out of stock, discontinued etc.

poacher

Awards
  • Established
I sleep better at night knowing I have a shelf stuffed with NO ETHER. I think I have a problem

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have one input.....how can you afford to purchase 5 bottles of anything :fool2: lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never stokepiled in that amount but i've done it for various reasons.

1. You never know when a supp will stay in circulation. A lot will change over time and supposedly get better when you read the label but the inverse is true. Legal reasons are a good reason on some of the more 'cutting edge' types.

2. Money... Sometimes you have enough money at the time and a good enough deal that allows for large purchases.

3. Buying in bulk to save on shipping.

4. Buying for friends.

Those are my personal reasons for buying more than I would need at any given time.
all of the above. from d p s for instance, I can get 20 lbs of crap shipped for $6. or with NP having the free shipping on over $200, its conducive to making large orders

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know of several people who want to plan that far out to make sure they have everything on hand with no chance of a full stacked cycle getting interupted by unforeseen events... Money, out of stock, discontinued etc.
Yes I was one of those people but I find that if it gets banned then something better or just as good will take it's place. If it's out of stock well I plan far enough ahead for that.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Save on shipping...? I guess if you know your going to be using X supplement for a while, there's no difference in buying now or later except shipping.

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
all of the above. from d p s for instance, I can get 20 lbs of crap shipped for $6. or with NP having the free shipping on over $200, its conducive to making large orders

I don't understand why people try to save on shipping. Its only like $5

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I have a shelf full of products. Why?
A) I needed like 10 bottles of Carnitine tabs per Dr's recommendation to take it for the next 12 months (so I bought them all at once...)

B) I buy from Puritan's Pride and they have crazy deals like buy 2, get 3 FREE. So I end up w/3 different products, but 15 bottles.

C) other bottles are left-overs from prior cycles that I may use at some time.

Note: I don't worry about banned products or regulatory crap....it'll always be available. I don't bulk order for that reason..

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i stock up just so i'm prepared for the apocalypse.

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
I probably would if I had enough money, you usually save money buying items in bulk, but I work at Toys R Us, so i can't.

unemployedcon

Awards
definitly ocd for me. i have to constantly tell myself not to order anything new.

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
Ok so besides sales, discon. stuff, and prohormones, whats the purpose of buying like 5 bottles of something at a time? Im just tying to understand buying patterns. I got a thread over at bb.com called something like "post it: my most recent purchase" thats been going on for like 3 years, and some people order like 10 containers of xtend, 8 tubs of whey 5lbs, its like okayyy.

Only thing I order more than 3 at a time is Bev. Muti' vits. I dont even want people ordering GET DIESEL products for some winter bulk as early as June because our fomulas are always changing and by winter Im sure something stronger will be out then people just want to return the stuff they purchased and its like I cant sell to a retailer from 3 runs ago.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so besides sales, discon. stuff, and prohormones, whats the purpose of buying like 5 bottles of something at a time? Im just tying to understand buying patterns. I got a thread over at bb.com called something like "post it: my most recent purchase" thats been going on for like 3 years, and some people order like 10 containers of xtend, 8 tubs of whey 5lbs, its like okayyy.

Only thing I order more than 3 at a time is Bev. Muti' vits. I dont even want people ordering GET DIESEL products for some winter bulk as early as June because our fomulas are always changing and by winter Im sure something stronger will be out then people just want to return the stuff they purchased and its like I cant sell to a retailer from 3 runs ago.

It is Obessive Compulsive Disorder. I believe a lot of people go un-diagnosed. They make excuses about why they "need" so many supplements. I know because I was diagnosed with it a few years ago. I even took medication for it. Also behavior therapy. I no longer take medication or go to shrink though because I believe I don't need it anymore. I don't spend that much on supplements anymore either. I used to spend a lot more time on supplements, eating right, and exercising. It is so much so that it takes over your life. In the therapy that I went through the shrink would write a scedule for me to make sure I got other things done and I would have to follow the scedule. Seriously though, its no joke, it is a real dis-order.

spigot

spigot

Awards

If I'm not mistaken, people in places like Australia and maybe Canada or Europe have to pay a fortune in shipping. I thought I heard something obscene like $100 shipping on an order. Also, in some places I think it takes literally forever to be shipped. Again I THINK I heard something like over a month to be shipped. In that case I would understand getting a whole lot of Xtend and stuff in 1 order to save money and waiting time.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I'm not mistaken, people in places like Australia and maybe Canada or Europe have to pay a fortune in shipping. I thought I heard something obscene like $100 shipping on an order. Also, in some places I think it takes literally forever to be shipped. Again I THINK I heard something like over a month to be shipped. In that case I would understand getting a whole lot of Xtend and stuff in 1 order to save money and waiting time.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
Im talking about US consumers......usually 140lb 18 year olds...

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
It is Obessive Compulsive Disorder. I believe a lot of people go un-diagnosed. They make excuses about why they "need" so many supplements. I know because I was diagnosed with it a few years ago. I even took medication for it. Also behavior therapy. I no longer take medication or go to shrink though because I believe I don't need it anymore. I don't spend that much on supplements anymore either. I used to spend a lot more time on supplements, eating right, and exercising. It is so much so that it takes over your life. In the therapy that I went through the shrink would write a scedule for me to make sure I got other things done and I would have to follow the scedule. Seriously though, its no joke, it is a real dis-order.
Just because you had/have it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

To get back to the original question; it could be a variety of reasons (excluding ph bans, more things like protein stockpiles, pwo energizers, etc)

1. being a big boy can mean bigger servings, meaning most bottles only last them (myself included) only about 1/2 of the 'recommended' servings.

2. buying with friends to cut costs down

3. Going on a long use of the product (months+ the occasional cycling off)

4. Just crazy

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I'm a bit OCD myself, but one of only things I have bought "in bulk" as in more than 2 bottles at a time was when I discovered the original Cissus RX and that it saved me from horrible knee pain from working all day on a concrete floor. I think I bought around 20 or so bottles over 2 months so I would know I could have relief around as long as I needed it the next 8-12 months. Good thing too because they changed the formula and it didn't work as well for me.

Only other time I would be compelled to buy more than 2 months of something would be if I knew a product I "needed", as in essential to my daily function (like cissus was), was being discontinued without an immediate replacement in sight.

As much as I love the Get Diesel line, I still don't buy more than 2 bottles at a time for a couple reasons. 1. I don't have enough money to "stockpile" anything beyond essentials like my Multi/C/E/Fish Oil. 2. As mentioned above, your products do constantly get better; by the time I finish a run and am ready to buy again a new version is available

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
some people are post whores... while others are supplement whores

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I do it when it's on sale only.

I've done it with PH's before bans. But I wait till I can get them on sale (usually).

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i gotta make myself a big order too, my last order lasted several many months haha, i still got bunch of stuff not talking about my stockpile of small bottles

FcuktheFDA

Banned
Awards
I like to stock up so that I can save up some money in the near future, I'll have supplements on hand, and it's always nice to stock up with something's gonna be banned or discontinued.

spigot

spigot

Awards
I like to stock up so that I can save up some money in the near future, I'll have supplements on hand, and it's always nice to stock up with something's gonna be banned or discontinued.
I really like your name. Fcuk the federal govt.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I'm Canadian, so I guess I don't count - but I'll give my 2 cents anyways. :p

1. Shipping.
- shipping is around $50/order, whether you buy 1 bottle or 30 bottles. As well, sometimes customs hits you with a $30-$40 bill on top of that.

2. I HATE running out of something I like.
They do not sell flavored BCAA's (like Extend) locally where I live, so I buy from Nutraplanet (plus it's cheaper...if you buy enough to warrent the shipping).
Considering the wait for your shipment can easily be 2 weeks or more at times - I'd rather buy enough to last me until the next time I buy.

Plus sometimes when I make my order, it says "OUT OF STOCK". WTF?! Can't let that happen again!

3. Sales.
I'm a sucker for that I guess...I think I'm part girl. :p I know this product doesn't do half the things it says it will, but since it's 60% off, I can easily double/triple up, lol. (aka - stupidity hobby)

4. Perceptual savings.
Kind of like stashing 10% of your paycheck to a savings account and then forgetting about it means you'll be saving money without even realizing it - I can buy in bulk, then not have to buy for a while, which means I have more $$$ in my pocket for some reason. It's also a nice feeling when I run out of something, I can just go downstairs and get another one.

5. OCD
- I like to have backups of everything. I'll sometimes do that to clothing too, because I know there's a chance it will get wrecked. I bring spare parts around with me in my Jeep just in case, etc. I'll have certain foods stocked in case I'm trapped in the house for weeks due to alien invasions. I'll keep at least 2 girlfriends around just in case.... :p Kidding - I can afford to stock up on supps, but I can't afford 2 girls, lol. :p

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stockpile? I pretty much use everything I got at once. If im not using it, it is likely b/c it sucks or I am planning to trade it.

Hell I dont even buy my pct stuff until a couple weeks before pct. Gives me a reason to stay on longer. :)

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I love to stockpile, but only on muscletech supps!!! :toofunny:
Haha j/k but yeah, I hate not paying attention and running out of stuff then having to order more and wait for a week or more to get it. I'd rather have it, have more, and have it paid for for a good while!