Whole Foods: Does this shake qualify?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It takes me forever to eat my eggs in the morning, so lately I've been making the following shake:
1 cup skim milk: 8g protein, 13g carbs
1 cup egg whites: 24g protein
1cup 1% CC: 32g protein; 2g fat; 6g carb
1 Cup Oatmeal: 54g carbs (8g fiber), 5g fat, 10g protein
1/4 cup Fiber One: 13g carbs; 7g fiber
1 TBSP EVOO: 14g fat
1/2 Scoop Egg pro powder: 12g protein
3 packets Splenda
Totals:
86g protein
86g Carbs (15g Fiber)
19g fat
344+344+162=854 cals; 794 calories (corrected for fiber)

Does this shake count as whole food. I technically drink it, but with the exception of a small amount of egg protein powder for flavor, it is made up of whole foods.

Edit: Ooops, left out the skim milk

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
yeah i would call that whole foods.. don't let pop culture deffinitions get in the way of the truth. That right there seems to be a very well packed and formed liquid feast

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
yeah i would call that whole foods.. don't let pop culture deffinitions get in the way of the truth. That right there seems to be a very well packed and formed liquid feast
BTW, it tastes great. Thanks to Bohica for revealing the simple genius of Splenda w/eggs.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I'd say that qualifies as whole-food.
...but I could eat a plate of eggs a whole lot quicker than I could drink that, even without bacon....

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
BTW, it tastes great. Thanks to Bohica for revealing the simple genius of Splenda w/eggs.
If you are talking about raw eggs then that bastige Bohica stole that from me :)

I understand what you mean about taking forever to eat the cooked eggs. I just can't do it anymore.

CROWLER

cgcrz8

Awards
So is it safe or OK to eat raw eggs? Won't you get sick or anything with salmonella? I guess I was raised to not eat raw eggs.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I use pasturized whites from a carton for the sake of time. The salmonella issue has been discussed many times. Apparently the risk is overblown, but for the sake of safety you can nuke them for about 30 seconds

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you are talking about raw eggs then that bastige Bohica stole that from me :)

I understand what you mean about taking forever to eat the cooked eggs. I just can't do it anymore.

CROWLER
He is in fact a thief...

I guess I'm not too fond of eggs, and I just eat them for nutritional purposes. I know it sometimes takes me 45 minutes to eat my eggs. Not good when I have to be at school by about 7am.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Does this shake count as whole food. I technically drink it, but with the exception of a small amount of egg protein powder for flavor, it is made up of whole foods.

Edit: Ooops, left out the skim milk
I'm not sure it would, actually. I make something similar every morning and it seems to fill me up and be a good calorie source. It's already in a chyme state when you're drinking it so I think your body may deal with it a bit differently. It sort of passes through the stomach straight into the small intestine where it's absorbed. What's the purpose of this shake? Is it just a calorie adder or is it a pre/post workout thing?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I make this in the a.m. b/c my appetite is pretty weak at 4:30-5am.

That's a good pt. about the chyme like consistency. I'm thinking I might make 50% more than this, split it in 2 and take the 2nd one to school with me.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I make this in the a.m. b/c my appetite is pretty weak at 4:30-5am.

That's a good pt. about the chyme like consistency. I'm thinking I might make 50% more than this, split it in 2 and take the 2nd one to school with me.
Bobo had something to say about this a while back, I'd do a search and see what he wrote down. You see I make mine basically as a breakfast/post workout shake since I workout in the morning, so the faster absorption is something I'm looking for over all. I eat a whole food meal about an hour or so later when I get to work.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'll look them up. I specifically remember Bobo saying that grinding oatmeal does not alter it's GI. The cottage cheese isn't far from liquid in its normal state either.

CREAO

Awards
defeinlty whole food

In the morning when im in a rush, I use 2 scoops of ON whey, a serving of low fat, no sugar ice cream, 16 oz of milk, a cup of oats and a spoonful of olive oil

fills me up real nicely

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
In order to be able to down my 4 cooked egg whites / 2 yolks every morning I cut up some fresh sausage and mix that in and use a small dash of lemon pepper. Cooking in grapeseed oil also helps the taste, IMHO.

Although your shake looks like a great drink for BBing... gonna have to pass that on to my lifting partner.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
In order to be able to down my 4 cooked egg whites / 2 yolks every morning I cut up some fresh sausage and mix that in and use a small dash of lemon pepper. Cooking in grapeseed oil also helps the taste, IMHO.

Although your shake looks like a great drink for BBing... gonna have to pass that on to my lifting partner.
His looks tasty too. I try and fool myself and I've gotten used to it, but mine tastes like ****. I have to add cinnamon by the pound if I want it to be enjoyable.

Blinq

Awards
Tried it - nice tasting. I'd count is as a normal meal - such shakes are great to keep with ur caloric needs and are comparable to normal meals.

Purepower

Awards
Not sure I'd call it a whole food. Looks like a great drink, but not whole food. My definition of whole food has always been something you have actually chew and eat and then digest in your stomach. A protein drink passes through your stomach and doesn't really have to be digested since its blended up. Maybe my method of thought is wrong, but that's just the way I've always under stood shakes. This is also their advantage for PWO to get protein in your system as fast as possible.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
It may not be as good as say a chicken breast and a big bowl of rice, beans, and veggies, but it's probably the best shake ever.

The big problem w/ non whole foods really starts when people put 40g-60g of whey or more in water, slam it down, and expect it to all be absorbed. The shake you listed is in a whole different ballpark.

If the rest of your diet is solid and you're still worried about this shake, just make sure you don't drink it really fast. Drink part of it right when you wake up and then drink the rest on your way to school. Thanks for the recipe BTW.

GreyWtr

Awards
Dude,

That's alot of stuff in that shake, do you get gas?

I used to put raw eggs in shakes, over 20 yrs ago, really it is not the healthiest thing to do.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Dude,

That's alot of stuff in that shake, do you get gas?

I used to put raw eggs in shakes, over 20 yrs ago, really it is not the healthiest thing to do.
Nothing out of the ordinary with regards to the breaking of wind.

What is unhealthy about the raw egg whites? I use pasteurized.

BPB

Awards
I definately would consider this whole foods. How is this shake working out for you?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I definately would consider this whole foods. How is this shake working out for you?
I'm getting bigger :head:

Of course, the HD-50 is probably helping :D