Whey- does the process of extraction matter?

animalXXX

Awards
Recently a friend of mine told me that the extraction process of whey matters a whole lot. He said that if it's done "cold" then the whey is not destroyed as opposed to the more common way of doing it "hot" which somehow destroys it. Is there any truth to that?

Mannypolarbear

Awards
Yes. Depending on how the protein is handled during the extraction process, you can end up with "Denatured" or "Damaged proteins". If the protein that you are using happens to have denatured proteins, expect about half of the amount of protein it actually says. The products most infamous for having denatured proteins are RTD'S, and other products that have been pasturized AKA heat treated to have a shelf life of about 2 to 3 years.

bullet

Awards
due to the low price, i've been using Cytosport Complete Whey and Muscle Milk. Are they ok?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've read that CMF (cross-flow Micro-filter) processed whey is better (I suppose more *intact*) than ion-exchange processed whey.

Mannypolarbear

Awards
You are gonna wanna stay away from cytosport. Overall it is just a lower end form of protein. If you want a really good whey protein, try POWER WHEY STACK by F&F. It is completely filtered, and it has your most absorbable form of whey peptides.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
ATW isolate looks like one of the best imo.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You are gonna wanna stay away from cytosport. Overall it is just a lower end form of protein. If you want a really good whey protein, try POWER WHEY STACK by F&F. It is completely filtered, and it has your most absorbable form of whey peptides.
do you have any kind of evidence of this at all?

I know a bunch of pro baseball and football players that drink the hell out of that stuff.

Mannypolarbear

Awards
Just because they are professional athletes does not mean that it is good quality. Any company that puts 8 grams of saturated fat per serving, then claims that "you don't store fat you burn it" should spark a light in your head. Whey Concentrate is one of the lowest grades of whey protein, and it is listed 2nd in the ingredients list on Muscle Milk.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just because they are professional athletes does not mean that it is good quality. Any company that puts 8 grams of saturated fat per serving, then claims that "you don't store fat you burn it" should spark a light in your head. Whey Concentrate is one of the lowest grades of whey protein, and it is listed 2nd in the ingredients list on Muscle Milk.
tooshey (sp)

Mannypolarbear

Awards
haha, no hard feelings or anythign Dynomite, I'm just tryin to help out. I work for a supplement company, and it just bothers me when overweight people come into my work claiming that they have been tryin to lose weight for so long, but it just seems like they cant lose anything. I ask them what type of protein they are taking, and they tell me " Muscle Milk." I know it taste so damn good, but it is very hard for people to make the corralation between weight loss and proper dieting/supplementation. lol I jsut think that Muscle Milk is discouraging because it taste so good that people can't stop drinking it, but at the same time, it is not helping their cause.

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
From what I have gathered, filtered proteins are lower in protein but are processed in a much more gentler environment, which allows them to retain fractions and subfractions more protein per serving. Ion-Exchanged isolates are supposed to be the most pure, which usually come in at around 96-98% pure protein, whereas the filtrated products tend to run at about 90-92% pure.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Find out what kind of processes a comapny uses and than see that the product is true to the label with pubished studies. Iv e-mailed numrious amount of comapnies and never have I seen a product that is true to its label.